About this project
The stretch goals ... If we hit $100,000:
- we will create 30 minutes of streaming previews just for those that have put in $50 or more. These will be available within days after the kickstarter is over.
- I have extra footage of glass in two rocket mass heaters - so you can see the fire. I will put this video on youtube within seven days of the end of the kickstarter
- everybody that got the four DVD set will get a fifth DVD of extra footage. It will be whatever wacky stuff we can come up with: outtakes, raw footage, all the stuff currently on youtube, any raw footage for rocket stoves or rocket mass heaters that I never put up on youtube, ALL of the paul wheaton permaculture podcasts .... all sorts of stuff. But it will probably be for computers to read, not for DVD players.
- everybody that got the four DVD set will also get the streaming stuff for free.
- Ernie and Erica will be paid to create plans for everything in all of the videos and that will be added to the fifth DVD as a collection of PDF files.
I pointed the video camera at all the cool stuff at the workshop, just like I said i would. Now it is time for you all to pony up for the DVD's. Once funded, the raw footage will be massaged into stuff that will fit into DVD-like thing-a-ma-jigs.
What's the big deal?
The crown jewel here is the rocket mass heater, based on rocket stove technology. This is a wood burning stove that will replace a conventional wood burning stove in a home and keep that same home just as warm using 1/10th the wood. But that's not all. You would think that with 1/10th the wood there would be 1/10th the smoke, but it works out to be closer to 1/1000th the smoke. As a result, the overall environmental damage ends up far less than natural gas, electric, oil or conventional wood heat.
Ernie and Erica Wisner have built over 700 rocket mass heaters and what was shown at this workshop is the result of their most advanced work to date.
Here are Ernie and Erica showing off an earlier rocket mass heater:
The first DVD will be "Fire Science". This is where Ernie and Erica set stuff on fire in all sorts of wacky ways. This is the foundation for understanding how rocket stoves and rocket mass heaters work the way they do.
- fire burning sideways and upside down
- bare hands bonfire tricks
- rumford effect
- fireplace designs
- flammable chimney demonstrations
- stump stove
- diagrams and physics and math, oh my!
- fire, flames, heat and overall rockety-ness
The second DVD is called "Sneaky Heat". The wood burning stove built in this DVD is the result of a collection of experiments that led to a rocket mass heater an order of magnitude better than any previous rocket mass heater. For the first time ever we have a shippable core. Somebody else could build this and ship it to somebody that is looking for something easier. Plus, this particular core makes for a fire that is about a thousand degrees hotter than any previous rocket mass heater. This makes for a stronger draw - which leads to more push later in the system. For this project we use the core in a portable design. Something that can be taken apart in under an hour, loaded onto a truck, moved and rebuilt in under an hour.
The third DVD is called "Boom Squish" - named after a series of podcasts where we discuss the dangers and strategies of alternative hot water. Caleb Larson and Ernie work together to talk about how to do this right. Caleb is a professional alternative hot water installer and is very familiar with the explosive properties of steam, flash point and vapor lock.
The final DVD is called "Hot Rocket". We set out to prove that a few twigs can outperform a huge propane turkey cooker. Mission accomplished. This is with a J-tube style rocket stoves. Other rocket stoves feature an L-tube style the requires constant manual feeding. The J-tube style is self feeding. This DVD will also have information on some tiny home made cookstoves, and several different pocket rocket designs.
Wood Burning Stoves 2.0
The four DVD set will be called "Wood Burning Stoves 2.0".
Thanks for PR help from Hartke Communications.
Paul Wheaton's world domination empire:
- permies.com (permaculture forums)
- richsoil.com (articles)
- permaculture videos
- wood burning stoves 2.0 (current materials)
- wood burning stoves forum
- rocket stove forum
- daily-ish email
Thanks for the bump from:
Risks and challenges
The biggest challenges are energy based wars and rampant pollution. Since most wars are based on energy demands and a large portion of polluting is connected to energy needs, and since 75% of home energy use in the United States is for heat - what better solution to these problems than to convey knowledge about how to cut or eliminate that energy use. Far more satisfying than shaking your fist at bad guys.
The second greatest challenge is: how do we let a billion people know that this technology exists. So far, we have been able to reach about 21 million people - so we have some skills. But we are still trying to figure out how to take that to 100 million and beyond.
Raw footage is done. We have arrangements with an animator and with an editor (who edited the kickstarter vid!). Distribution is figured out. And for all of the components that are not yet complete, we already have a "plan B".Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)