Rocket Ovens Feature Length Documentary
Build an oven powered by just a few twigs from your yard. The carbon footprint is about 1% that of an electric oven.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Thu, July 26 2018 7:40 PM UTC +00:00.
This is part of our series of "building good things rather than being angry at bad guys." I suppose some folks might still want to be angry at bad guys while building good things. That's cool too.
We try to come up with stuff that makes a huge difference in global problems that you can do in your home or your backyard. Without sacrifice. We only share those things that will add luxury and coin to your life.
Today we are creating a two hour long video about how to build a Rocket Oven. This design is for indoor use although we show versions that have been modified to be weather resistant. A Rocket Oven will do all of your baking without the environmental disaster associated with natural gas or electric ovens. For those of you living or considering off grid, this uses fuel that is plentiful and readily found - as opposed to off-grid's dirty little grid secret: "propane". As an added bonus, the environmental impact is far smaller than any other type of oven.
Rocket Ovens use the same "engine" as a rocket mass heater. An insulated j-tube that pushes the burn temp so high that the smoke and creosote from a fire is also used as fuel. The exhaust is very clean and the heat is hyper focused on the task at hand. The designs in this video are "white oven" designs - the exhaust does not mingle with the food.
Here is my grand and especially well thought out budget to pull this project off. Presented as a high quality pie chart that I made myself.
WE ARE FUNDED IN 18 HOURS!
Gurk? I guess all that worry about getting funded at all was just silliness! So, quick! We need some stretch goals!
Dan comes to my place and makes a video about the progress of the project and the stretch goals!
In some of my past kickstarters, we offered neat stuff at the $1 level. Usually in the form of a "microdoc" or "micro documentary". A full sized documentary is typically two hours. These tended to be 15 to 45 minutes long. With this kickstarter we are going to create TWO microdocs. Mostly because we couldn't get all of the important content to fit on one DVD:
- Rocket Ovens Cooking: Watch as lots of different things are baked and roasted. Hear about how it is a little different from using a natural gas or electric oven.
- Rocket Ovens Tools, Materials and Safety: The final build in the DVD is done without welding and we worked to keep the tools and materials simple and low cost. High temp materials can be a bit odd.
And we are adding two microdocs from previous kickstarters:
- Hugelkultur: The microdoc from the kickstarter for the 3-DVD set "World Domination Gardening"
- Care and Feeding of a Rocket Mass Heater: The microdoc from the kickstarter "Better Wood Heat: DIY Rocket Mass Heaters."
As a bonus for everybody that supports this kickstarter:
- Justin Rhodes at Basecamp: I have two properties relatively close to each other. When Justin Rhodes stopped by on his Great American Farm tour, we had so much stuff here, he only had time to video one of the two. The one we call "basecamp". Justin showed 22 minutes of pieces on youtube and 45 minutes privately to his supporters. Now all kickstarter supporters get to see the bonus stuff too!
- Public Thanks: I've seen some other kickstarters do this and I think we do it much, much better. They post your name to a facebook page where it is lost and forgotten within a couple days. We post it to our thread at permies.com where we have perennial discussions. Thousands of people will actually look at the list for years to come. And, naturally, we will give you a chance to be as creative and as silly as you want. While some people will post their names, or their kids, or maybe plug their business, you can also divulge your plans for world domination and give yourself all the galactic titles you want. Check out the thanks page from our last kickstarter and the one before that.
(this is the public Justin Rhodes video)
- Fire Science DVD: Science is what makes the j-tube core of the rocket oven (and rocket mass heaters) so amazing. We start with science and the simplify the design about a hundred times as the decades pass and end up with what you see in the Rocket Ovens DVD. The Fire Science DVD is a full length workshop introduction to the bits and bobs that make all this work so amazingly well! This is one of four DVDs from my Wood Burning Stoves 2.0 kickstarter.
- Permaculture Playing Cards as an ebook: My third kickstarter was the permaculture playing cards. There's so many details on every card that it takes about an hour and a half to read them all.
- Access to the permies.com "Secret Inner Circle" forum: Join our past kickstarter supporters in a place where you can talk about stuff without the prying eyes of google or "them".
- 5-hour tour of Wheaton Labs: This was a stretch goal for my last kickstarter - to video "all the things". Turns out that this task takes five hours!
Your most creative name listed in both of the two new microdocs. Feel free to use any wacky name you like. We tend to show all the names across the top of the video as it plays, but who knows what we might come up with this time!
- Building a Cob Style Rocket Mass Heater DVD: This shows the full build of a rocket mass heater in a log structure and another full build of a rocket mass heater in a tipi. This is the crown jewel from my kickstarter "Better Wood Heat: DIY Rocket Mass Heaters"
- Wild Edibles DVD and 10 ebooks: This is the result of a kickstarter I did with Sergei Boutenko on his kickstarter channel. You can see my name in the credits as "Supreme Executive Producer with Pickles, Ketchup and Sparkles"!
Your most creative name in the trailing credits of the Rocket Ovens DVD: We will create a section in the trailing credits that says "These People Paid Actual Money to See Their Name Here ..." Here's the trailer from one of the DVDs from "Better Wood Heat" that shows what we did. We actually did different silly things for each DVD.
REWARDS: RMH and FULL-ROCKET
This new Rocket Ovens DVD is a sort of follow up to the previous 8 DVDs about rocket mass heaters. The "RMH" reward includes the more recent four DVDs from "Better Wood Heat" and "FULL-ROCKET" includes the complete 8 DVDs inluding "Wood Burning Stoves 2.0". All in HD streaming (not physical DVDs).
REWARDS: ATC and PDC
My last kickstarter was about videoing the Appropriate Technology Course (ATC) and the Permaculture Design Course (PDC). Both were taught by Tim Barker, the creator of the Rocket Oven. And the ATC video is what is used in parts of the Rocket Ovens DVD. The 100 hours of PDC video and 77 hours of ATC video will be in HD Streaming.
Risks and challenges
In a past kickstarter, the video editor quit right after the kickstarter finished. So this time, the video editor (Dan Ohmann) has done 95% of the editing before the kickstarter started.
A lot of kickstarters want to get funding before the person doing the kickstarter has done much of anything. Before they have any skin in the game. This project has had years of recording and six months in editing and recording bits and bobs to round out the video. We have brought this project as far as we can before getting the printing and paying for music and a few other bits and bobs. We are ready to wrap up. There have been about a dozen challenges and I think those are behind us.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter