City Conquest is an innovative new strategy game for HD-capable mobile devices (iPad 2+, iPhone/iPod 4+, and high-end Android phones and tablets). It combines classic tower-defense gameplay with luscious HD graphics and unique game mechanics that allow multiple players to send creeps against one another.
This results in a new form of gameplay that has the simplicity, accessibility, and addictive gameplay of tower defense, with much of the strategic depth and competitive multiplayer support of a real-time strategy (RTS) game -- and without the unit micromanagement of an RTS!
Screenshots and Videos
... and here's a quick preview of our mission selection screen and in-game help system:
City Conquest includes:
- Advanced AI opponents
- A full single-player campaign (with Easy, Medium, and Hard difficulty levels)
- A set of "challenge missions" for advanced players
- 9 Offensive unit types (all have 4 upgrade levels)
- 9 Defensive tower types (most have 1 or 2 additional upgrade levels)
- 4 Mothership-based "game effects" (spells)
- Hotseat (pass-and-play) multiplayer available at launch
- Wi-Fi multiplayer in a future update
- Resource-collection mechanics with two resource types (gold and crystals)
- Territorial control mechanics
- Combined arms tactics, including units that can shield, cloak, and repair other units
Intelligence Engine Design Systems takes a unique approach to game development. We are at the forefront in the use of genetic optimization techniques and evolutionary algorithms for gameplay balancing and design optimization. Our gameplay was balanced almost entirely using a coevolutionary program called Evolver that played 1-2 million missions against itself per day.
Our unique approach to game design was featured in an interview on AiGameDev.com, the world's leading website for news and information about artificial intelligence in games.
State of the Game
City Conquest has been in development since August 2011. The gameplay code is 100% complete and all in-game art and sound effects are also now 100% complete.
Our team is hard at work developing the single-player campaign and challenge missions, implementing graphical improvements, coding the game's front end and mission selection screens, and adding support for wi-fi multiplayer.
Your donation will help us provide:
- Additional in-game art for extra unit upgrades
- Additional in-game music tracks
- Real-time wi-fi multiplayer in a future update
The game's single-player AI is being developed by a recognized expert in game artificial intelligence with 17 years of industry experience.
[We also ran a previous Kickstarter campaign earlier this year. The video for that campaign shows a much earlier, less polished version of the game, but it also explains a great deal about the automated balancing system we used to tune City Conquest. You can find a link here if you're curious.]
Intelligence Engine Design Systems, LLC is dedicated to advancing the craft of game design through the use of computational intelligence techniques and the application of game AI techniques to improve the state of the art in game design.
- (41 days)