Thank you for an awesome Kickstarter campaign!
- Follow iPhoneDev.tv for updates on new courses, blog posts, and videos for iPhone and iPad development.
- Missed the Kickstarter? Checkout iPhoneDev.tv/kickstarter for additional backing options.
Save 80% on Retail Price
The iPhone course series (Complete Set) will retail for $499. Back this project and save 80% at the $99 reward and get 9+ iPhone courses!
iPhone Apps are a Career Opportunity
iPhone app development is exploding and as an app developer you have options. You can choose to either make your own app idea or earn a fantastic salary. iPhone developers are making $97,000 - $137,000 in New York (Indeed.com, May 2013).
- Never programmed? I'll teach you how to write your first program.
- Don't have a Mac? See below how you can start learning on a PC.
- iPhone book collecting dust? It's out of date, so don't bother reading it. You need a new iPhone book, or you could watch my course series.
Fund an iPhone Development Series for iOS 7
Learning to program iPhone apps is hard without help. I want to create a new series of courses designed for people who have never programmed. These online courses are something that I wish I had when I started making apps. I've learned a lot over the past four years, and I want to share my knowledge.
I started teaching an online iPhone course through Skillshare and now I want to take it to the next level. With your help I can create NINE new courses (60+ videos) that support iOS 6.0 and iOS 7 for iPhone.
The course videos will teach concepts along with coding screencasts that will demonstrate how to program. You will be able to follow along with my highlighted mouse in Xcode and you will have all of the source code for each lesson. I'll also show you common mistakes and how to recover from them, which will help you fix bugs.
- 5-15 structured video lessons (10-30 min each)
- 1080p HD videos high quality audio (RE-320 Microphone)
- HiDPI text sizes (Readable on iPhone 4+ and iPad)
- Mouse highlighting (Follow the mouse)
- Downloadable lesson PDFs and source code
- Programming challenges and solutions
Programming Challenges and Solutions
You'll learn a lot faster if you challenge yourself to write code. However, programming can lose it's fun factor if you struggle too much.
To help you on those sticky parts, I'm including video solutions with my programming challenges. Watch step-by-step solutions to see how an experienced programmer would solve a problem. These challenges will help you become more familiar with Xcode and problem solving.
Courses (Complete Set)
1. Beginner Programming Course on Objective-C and intro to iOS
- Learn how to program and think like a computer programmer.
- Gain exposure to C and Objective-C programming languages.
- Topics: variables, types, functions, structs, classes, conditional statements, development resources, Xcode, and the iPhone Interface Builder.
2. iPhone App Development Course (Project-based learning)
- Solve a real problem with an iPhone app.
- Learn how to build one component at a time to make a functional app.
- Topics: iPhone app design, MVC, delegates, views, saving/loading, table views, and images.
3. Advanced Topic: Custom Grid Layouts with UICollectionViews
- Learn how to create visual interfaces using grid layouts like on Pinterest and iPhoto.
- Connect your app data to scroll through content.
4. Advanced Topic: Multi-touch Gestures for Interactive Apps
- Create touch friendly app interactions like Clear, Photo Table, and Flipboard.
- Use swipe, drag, flick, tap, pinch, and rotate gestures to create an immersive user experience.
5. Advanced Topic: How to Skin your User Interface
- Learn how to use Retina graphics and make your app pixel perfect.
- Customize buttons, toolbars, backgrounds, table views, and collection views.
6. iPad Introduction Video (NEW Complete Set Reward)
- Take your knowledge of iPhone and apply it to iPad.
- Learn how to setup a universal app for both iPhone and iPad.
Beta access will give you access to the materials as they're being developed for iOS 6 and iOS 7 when it's available in the fall. It gives you an opportunity to start learning before everything is finalized. It's an opportunity to help direct the course materials with concepts that you find helpful or need clarification.
If you want an idea of the types of apps you can build, checkout my students apps from my Skillshare iPhone Course.
- $29 - The first TWO COURSES
- $59 - EARLY BIRD backers of the COMPLETE SET
- $79 - EARLY BIRDbackers of theCOMPLETE SETfor 2 people (share it with a friend)
- $125 - Vote on Advanced Topics (Stretch goals!), BETA Access, and the COMPLETE SET!
Stretch Goals (Updated!)
I would love to design more advanced courses on special topics. Additional courses will be included with the COMPLETE SET.
- > $20,000 - 2 advanced topics (FUNDED!)
- > $30,000 - 4 advanced topics (FUNDED!)
- > $40,000 - 6 advanced topics + source code for 1 sample app (FUNDED!)
- > $50,000 - 8 advanced courses + source code for 2 sample apps
Advanced Course Topic Ideas (Vote for $125 reward)
- Core Bluetooth (BlueTooth LE) - talk to bluetooth devices
- Creating iPad apps - customize your user interface for iPads
- Transitioning from iOS 6.0 to iOS 7
- Facebook SDK - import photos and post messages.
- Web services - use CloudMine, Parse, or AWS to power your apps
- Core Animation - bring your experience to life
- Core Graphics - create that polished feel
- CoreImage - advanced photo manipulation and effects
- AVFoundation - learn to export custom videos
- MapKit - learn to use the location services
- Accelerometer - use motion to control your app
Sample Video and Audio Quality
Here's a video I made on struct, which is used in both C and Objective-C programs. You'll learn how the structures work in the first course.
Do I need to know how to program?
I’ll teach you everything you need to know to start making apps. I’ll introduce new topics when you need to use them, so that we can start making apps as soon as possible.
This course isn’t a comprehensive reference. Instead it is a starting point that will teach you how to think and learn new topics. I will use a project-based approach with source code with each step. This approach makes it so that you won’t be overwhelmed when you sit down to code your first app.
You learn to become fluent in a foreign language through practice and necessity. If you’re living abroad in Spain the first thing you learn is how to ask for the bathroom, not complex math in Spanish. In this course you'll learn enough to build something tangible and then learn how to make it better one step at a time.
Do I need a Mac?
You can use MacInCloud.com to program through your Chrome browser on a PC. You'll have full access to a Mac computer. It costs $20/month and is a great start if you want learn for a month.
How much will these courses cost?
I plan on selling these courses for $29-$199 each. By supporting this project you'll get access to all of the courses for a single price.
Where will the Kickstarter money go?
In order to provide access to the video content, I will have upfront costs for video and web content hosting for the course materials. The money will support the following.
- Course material creation
- Video production and editing
- Graphic design
- Xcode source-code samples
- Video and multimedia content hosting
- Website development
- Ongoing support
I'm an iPhone developer and I've been teaching since 2005. I've worked as an Adjunct Professor at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) and taught online iPhone classes on Skillshare. My previous work experience includes Apple Inc. and Microsoft. Now I run a development studio called Artwork Evolution where I can follow my passions.
How can I get involved?
Post feedback on Kickstarter, connect on Twitter (@PaulSolt) or email (PaulSolt@iPhoneDev.tv).
After Kickstarter ends go to http://iPhoneDev.tv/kickstarter for additional backing options.
Risks and challenges
Creating course content, recording, and editing videos is time consuming. I've done it for my Skillshare classes, so I understand the time commitment. Based on my past experience, I can produce 1-2 courses per month. It takes some time to make sure that sample code works correctly and can be explained in plain English.
I've purchased a lot of audio/video equipment (RE-320 microphone + Mixer + DBX 286s for clean audio) and I'm prepared to make high quality recordings. I'm doing this because I enjoy helping other people learn.
After iOS 7 is released in the fall, I can publish all the new course materials for iOS 7. Until the NDA is lifted, I'll only be able to publish the materials for iOS 6.0.
Thankfully when Apple releases new versions of iOS it usually means that you have less code to write!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)