Experience the hardship & dedication it takes to keep a rock band together after 27 years & the battle for what they believe in alive. Read more
This project was successfully funded on July 27, 2012.
About this project
BE AN ALLY - SUPPORT OUR KICKSTARTER!
Hello, Everybody! My name is Paul Michael and I am the director/producer of In The Trenches of Rock and Roll. PLEASE watch the 2 minute video above for just a small taste of the vast spectrum that this rock documentary is going to cover. Once you're able to refrain from hitting "replay" just one more time, come on back here and check out the synopsis below; then we can discuss the details of how your precious financial pledges would be used to make this incredible story unfold on film.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Although Bloodgood has given their full blessing to the creation of this documentary, it is being independently funded through Bloodygood Pictures and your pledges. This is not a Bloodgood product.
In The Trenches of Rock and Roll chronicles the 27 year history of Bloodgood: starting from the band’s 1985 debut cassette demo, Metal Missionaries (which put them on the map and won them the attention of Frontline Records and veteran music producer, Darrel Mansfield), leading to their first record deal and self-titled debut album. Sophomore and platinum-selling Detonation was followed by multiple U.S. and European tours, 3 subsequent studio records, 8 live releases, and numerous compilation albums - ultimately solidifying their status as one of the founding fathers of “Christian Metal" and their induction into the Christian Music Hall of Fame.
Bloodgood’s road was paved with conflict by the mainstream music industry that found their blatant use of faith-based lyrics an unfitting marriage with heavy metal, as well as extreme religious conservatives who believed heavy metal was purely secular and of the devil.
Seattle-based Bloodgood, led by bassist Michael Bloodgood and lead vocalist Les Carlsen, forged on undeterred for decades, continually spreading their positive message through their music, saving thousands of estranged teenagers and adults from their depression and thoughts of suicide – an unheard of juxtaposition to the typical message of rock and roll at the time.
In The Trenches of Rock and Roll explores the depth of their ministry and musicality, the ensuing brotherhood and camaraderie of its band members, and the hardship and perseverance it takes to keep a rock band together for nearly three decades. Trenches includes in-depth interviews with all past and present Bloodgood members, openly sharing their individual testimonies, internal struggles, their triumphs and their tragedies, layered throughout reels of mostly unseen archival footage, much of which were obtained from the personal collections of the band. Trenches is essential viewing for Bloodgood and rock and roll fans alike, as well as anyone who wants an up close look at what makes a historical band legendary.
Basic Topics the Documentary Will Cover:
- An exclusive look at Bloodgood from the past and present band member's perspective.
- Scheduled interviews include: Michael Bloodgood (bass), Les Carlsen (lead vocals), David Zaffiro (guitar), Paul Jackson (guitar), Oz Fox (guitar), J.T. Taylor (drums), Mark Welling (drums), Kevin Whisler (drums), Paul Roraback (drums), David McKay (keyboards), Craig Church (rhythm guitar, live).
- How Bloodgood survived the bludgeon of ridicule laid upon them from both the mainstream and extreme religious conservatives alike, particularly at their inception.
- Band member's recollection of recording individual albums, playing memorable venues (both good and bad), and the U.S./European/Russian tours that surrounded them.
- Internal struggles among the band and how it influenced Bloodgood's sometimes fragile future.
- The temptations of the rock and roll lifestyle and the constant fatigue of life on the road.
- The ultimate bonds of brotherhood that formed amongst the band members as a result of their faith and perseverance.
- The impact of Bloodgood's music upon hundreds of thousands of fans.
Documentary Shooting Locations:
- Seattle, WA
- Los Angeles, CA
- Las Vegas, NV
- Nashville, TN
- Austin, TX
What Your Pledges Will Fund:
In the Trenches of Rock and Roll will be 100% funded by our Kickstarter campaign, several recently accepted grants, as well as financial investment from Bloodygood Pictures. Only professional quality camera, audio, lighting, and editing equipment will be used for the creation of this documentary, as Trenches will be entered into numerous domestic and internationalfilm festivals. Any funding that exceeds our Kickstarter goal will help to offset this financial debt. Every dollar pledged will benefit the quality of the final product. We are looking forward to completing this project with your support!
Here's what we need to cross the finish line:
- Planes, Trains & Automobiles to transport the film crew to and from the airport and various shooting locations of the documentary.
- Gasoline for aforementioned transport.
- Helicopter rental for aerial footage of Seattle.
- Craft services: aka food to keep everybody happy.
- Archival footage restoration (video, radio, television, and picture).
- Any additional equipement rental and/or repair if needed.
- Miscellaneous on-location needs.
- Post-production polishing (color correction, 5.1 mixing, etc.)
Thank You for Your Support!
***All imagery, video, and music used with legal permission courtesy of Bloodgood and Meis Music Group***
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $5 or more
You want nothing more than to see In the Trenches of Rock and Roll become a reality. You ask for nothing in return other than the promise of experiencing the awesome story of Bloodgood when the film debuts.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
Receive FIVE EXCLUSIVE DIGITAL STILLS from the production via email and UPDATES on the film's progression from pre-production through post-production! Also receive a personal "THANK YOU" on our film's official Facebook page acknowledging your support!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $20 or more
Receive everything in above rewards, plus an unframed LIMITED EDITION (AND INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED) 8x10 PROMOTIONAL MOVIE POSTER! (Shipping outside the USA not included, BUT can be arranged. Send us a message).Estimated delivery:
Pledge $30 or more
Receive everything in rewards #1 and #2, plus a DVD COPY OF THE FILM (after it's festival and theatrical release)! (Shipping outside the USA not included, BUT can be arranged. Send us a message).Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or more
Receive a DVD COPY OF THE FILM & an unframed LIMITED EDITION (INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED) 8X10 PROMOTIONAL MOVIE POSTER together - BOTH AUTOGRAPHED BY THE DIRECTOR! (Shipping outside the USA not included, BUT can be arranged. Send us a message)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or more
Receive everything in above rewards, except now your LIMITED EDITION (INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED) PROMOTIONAL MOVIE POSTER WILL BE FRAMED AND AUTOGRAPHED BY THE DIRECTOR! (Shipping outside the USA not included, BUT can be arranged. Send us a message).Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or more
Receive everything in above rewards, plus IMMORTALIZE YOUR NAME in the end credits of the film!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or more
Receive everything in above rewards, plus a LIVE SKYPE CHAT WITH MICHAEL BLOODGOOD (BASS PLAYER AND FOUNDER OF BLOODGOOD) AND LES CARLSEN (LEAD SINGER)!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or more
Receive everything in above rewards, plus IMMORTALIZE YOUR NAME as an ASSOCIATE PRODUCER in the OPENING CREDITS of the film (in name only, no residuals). plus a FULL-SIZE MOVIE POSTER AUTOGRAPHED BY THE ENTIRE BAND (CURRENT) AND THE DIRECTOR! (Shipping outside the USA not included, BUT can be arranged. Send us a message).Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or more
Receive everything in above rewards, plus IMMORTALIZE YOUR NAME as a CO-PRODUCER (ranked higher in the producing ladder and listed before Associate Producer) in the OPENING CREDITS of the film (in name only, no residuals). Plus an AUTOGRAPHED GUITAR AUTOGRAPHED BY THE ENTIRE BAND (CURRENT)! (Shipping outside the USA not included, BUT can be arranged. Send us a message).Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or more
Receive everything in above rewards, plus TWO NIGHTS STAY IN A HOTEL, plus TWO AIRLINE TICKETS (continental U.S. only), AND TWO VIP PASSES TO THE FILM PREMIERE (date, location, hotel, and airline carrier TBD)!Estimated delivery:
Receive everything in rewards 1-8, plus TWO NIGHTS STAY IN A 4 OR 5-STAR HOTEL, TWO AIRLINE TICKETS (continental U.S. only), AND A PRIVATE LIMOUSINE TO THE FILM PREMIERE! ALSO INCLUDES A PRIVATE LUNCH OR DINNER WITH THE DIRECTOR AND MICHAEL BLOODGOOD THE DAY OF THE PREMIERE! (Date, location, hotel, and airline carrier TBD). Transportation to and from the airport to your hotel is also included.Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)