The TERP App, a Whole New Way to Play
The TERP App, a Whole New Way to Play
Transforming our TERP system for commanding and synchronizing movement into a mobile app so you can play with your friends!
Transforming our TERP system for commanding and synchronizing movement into a mobile app so you can play with your friends! Read more
Welcome to the TERP App Kickstarter!
Each week we'll release a new testimonial video. This week check out:
Tom Gruber, co-founder and design lead for Siri: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNNOGGrNbE8
Bran Ferren, founder/CEO of Applied Minds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpBqelbLuYY
A brief intro to the TERP System:
Inventor and choreographer, Patrice M. Regnier was looking for a more efficient form of not only teaching movement but adjusting it with ease in real time during rehearsal. Inspired by early discussions with Jerry Weisner and Marvin Minsky about the future of technology sans creativity, Patrice thought about how to integrate the two by experimenting in her rehearsal process with walkmans. (Yes walkmans; we’ve been working on this idea for a while!) Early attempts proved successful, but Patrice envisioned uses beyond just rehearsal.
Partnering with hardware designer Jesse Lackey and software designer Eric Singer, Patrice created a perfectly-synchronized, sampling broadcast system for choreography where each person could hear their own sequence through their headset. She developed a dictionary of suggestive and exacting instructions, which anyone off the street could perform, refining the kinds of words and word groups people respond to best. Named after Terpsichore, the Greek muse of dance, the TERP system was born.
For the past 10 years, Patrice has been hosting events in her loft in downtown NYC, as well as occasionally taking the TERP system to various conferences, schools, tech meetups, and the like. Unfortunately we’re limited on where we can go and how many people can try the system. The current system can only accommodate around 20 participants at a time and the bulky system necessitates multiple outlets and strong arms to carry it all. We knew we wanted to share the TERP system with a large amount of people, so crowd-funding seemed the best way to raise funds for this next step: a TERP app that allows you to choose vocal commands to direct your friends!
What you'll get:
In order to allow anyone and everyone to play, we’re making this a web-based app instead of a native app which means it doesn’t matter how much your friend loves their iphone/Android/Windows device over yours, you’ll still be able to use the TERP app together. A simple bookmark on your phone will bring you to the TERP web app. You’ll be able to choose what deck or group of audio commands you’d like to use. Then, your friends can join into the lobby of your game by logging into the app on their wireless devices. Once everyone has joined, you can begin sending synchronized commands to all your friends. (Don’t forget to take a look at our stretch goals for even more fun things we’ll allow you to do if we overfund!)
Once we reach our first funding goal, we’ll begin work on the site redesign. It will be about 4 months until we launch the beta application, which anyone above the $100 pledge level will get to test. The public launch for the app will occur 6 months from the start of funding. In the meantime, we’ll be finishing up the recording of new vocal commands and organizing the database so that you can find a deck or group of commands that suits your situation, whether an ice breaker at your office, a birthday party for your kids, or even just creating a fun group event in a park.
Special packages of commands will be released in the months following the public launch, once we complete our collaborations with funders and various businesses.
We've got a lot of greats ideas for the new TERP app. Help us overfund, and you'll get to see these ideas come to fruition!
- $25,000: When we reach this goal, we'll increase the number of commands available at launch. Everyone that pledges will receive 100 TERP audio commands in addition to the basic package. More commands means more fun!
- $27,000: Hit this goal, and we'll give you the ability to locate other TERP app users in your area. Meet new people in new places!
- $30,000: When we reach this goal, you'll have the ability to combine smaller commands to create your own custom macro commands. Want the players to get struck by lighting then turn into zombies? Help us reach this stretch goal!
- $33,000: Reaching this goal allows us to have multiple people in control in one game. Want to split your friends into two groups and have two controllers playing against each other? We can do that.
- $35,000: Servers! When we reach this goal, we'll be able to invest in more dedicated servers which means more people can play with the app at the same time without worrying about lag times when sending commands.
- $40,000: Commands galore! Reaching this goal will also us to create and record many more commands, and we'll give them all to you! We'll release a total of 1,000 audio commands over the course of a year starting from the public launch.
Risks and challenges
1. Delivery: We're working on a complex app that involves organizing thousands of audio commands. It's bound to get complicated. Luckily Patrice has already gone through funding and building a hardware/software prototype, so you know she can get the job done. This is our second time around, and the only thing different is we're crowd funding, so we can share the results with everyone!
2. Synchronization: One of the unique and exciting aspects of the TERP app is the ability to send commands to multiple people and have them receive it all at once. As you can see in our reward levels, we'll be hoisting test parties in our loft to test the limits of the system and get feedback before the public launch. We're also planning on getting some heavy-duty dedicated servers. It's listed as a stretch goal, but we'll be reaching out to interested advertisers and investors as well.
Patrice has been working with the TERP system for 10 years, testing and seeing what works best. We've worked with octogenarians, lawyers, middle schoolers, dancers, and even strangers from off the street in our events. We're ready to expand. Feel free to ask us any questions about the process.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (42 days)