Birmingham is not just the crucible of the Industrial Revolution, but the cradle of civilisation.
That’s a bold claim, but we make it all the time. To each other only of course, frightened of the loud trumpeting and drum banging that might ensue should we actually tell anyone from outside the city. So it was a claim without serious backing until when, in 2011, a man called Craig Hamilton from — you’ve guessed it — Birmingham had the brilliant pub idea of collecting together 101 things Birmingham gave the world. We all piled in, helping with ideas and writing - we’ve now got to 50.
Now we need your help to push us to finish the full 101 and produce a wonderful book that will sit alongside Joseph Priestley’s 1782 An History of the Corruptions of Christianity, Eddie Fewtrell’s King of Clubs or some of Alton Douglas’s books of photocopied 50s bus tickets.
The book will be a lovely paperback that will look smashing on your shelves. Don't put it up too high unless you own a ladder.
After we raise £600, there's lots of cool things we can do to make the book better or just different for everyone who wants one.
- Stretch Goal 6: Get us to £1500 & we'll organise a launch party — and all you backers will be invited. But it can get better…
- STRETCH GOAL 5: - BACKED - Get us to £1400 and we'll be able to commission a genuine artist to do the cover.
- Stretch Goal 4: — BACKED — get us to £1,000 and we will produce a compilation of songs inspired by this project. The album will be delivered to all backers as a link to a Spotify playlist. You'll need an account there to use this reward. What's on it? 101 great songs that Birmingham gave the world, of course.
- Stretch Goal 3: - BACKED - get us to £900 and we will write a 102nd thing Brum gave the world that will be sent exclusively to our Kickstarter backers. It won't be in the printed book and it won't be in the ebook. It'll be an actual secret between you lot and us.
Stretch Goal 2: - BACKED - get us to £800 and we'll put Manchester back again. So come on Brummies, double or nothing – sit back and relax or make sure we get through £600 and then £700 and all the way to £800.
- Stretch Goal 1: - BACKED - get us to £700 and we will remove Manchester from the book. Online, how Birmingham invented Manchester has been one of our most successful 101 entries. Why are we doing this? So far we've only heard from Brummies. Manchester, this is your chance: make some noise back us and censor the book.
Pic CC By: Elliott Brown
Risks and challenges
that we can't think of another 51 things Birmingham gave the world. That's no risk at all, honest.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)