Dan (Hero), Eugénie (Artist), and Pauline (Storyteller) are neighbors.
When Dan stopped by one day bursting with this real-life, truer than true story, Pauline knew right then and there that this was a tale that had to be told.
“On a day not like any other day, on a walk not like any other walk...” a Mama Duck calls (Quacks) upon Dan to help her rescue her nine baby ducklings who’ve fallen into a storm drain. Adventure ensues with run-away ducklings, and stalking cats as Papa Duck Dan with Mama Duck right beside him “does the most important thing he’s ever done,” reminding us that every act of kindness no matter how small or large matters.
Children and adults alike will find heart and happiness with Papa Duck.
A neighborhood story to be sure, we pass it on to you and your children, friends, and neighbors.
Anyone can be a Papa Duck!
Your donations will be used to e-publish and print publish Papa Duck.
Risks and challenges
The Papa Duck team sees our main challenge to be that of getting our Papa Duck e-book and print book into the marketplace and into the hands of parents, grandparents, teachers, children ages 3-7 years old and anyone else who loves a good story. The children’s book market can be challenging to break into and our Papa Duck presence must be visually compelling, our story appealing to adult and child alike, and our distribution consistent. We must spread our net wide in order to make our presence known in a competitive market.
We are addressing these challenges by:
1. E-Publication: Identifying and accessing our e-publisher, Graham Publishing Group, http://grahampublishinggroup.com/ a well-established organization that has been involved in the publishing world for many years. They will support the publication of our e-book in these ways:
• Title submission and author information submission to specific forums, message, and discussion boards. This includes the ten most visited and highly read forums specific to our genre and audience. This will alert thousands of readers about our title’s release and initiate exposure surrounding that title.
• Book submission to twenty-five online blog sites specific to the genre of our title; once accepted, the very important sites read and review our work and disseminate it to our followers. These are the most powerful people in the business and very important to the exposure of our book.
• Creating an increasing and constant presence using major social networking avenues, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and LinkedIn.
• Posting advertisements and book cover images linking your book, website, and sales page to book bloggers with whom we have established working arrangements
• Submission of our book to 100+ book reviewers, who will then distribute your title via their email lists.
• Creating press releases to be sent across the web along with submission samples of our book where appropriate.
• Weekly submission of our book to numerous high volume book blogs and literary websites, affecting a continuous online presence.
• Submission of sample chapters and/or sample pages to web-specific sites, availing 200,000 + readers with the opportunity to sample and/or purchase our work via registered platforms.
2. Print Publishing: Graham Publishing Group will also assist us in the process of choosing a print publisher that will print Papa Duck with high quality, in a timely manner, and at an affordable price for our customers. Eugenie will work closely with the publisher in making sure our quality is maintained and the book appropriately rendered.
3. National Marketing: We will begin by print publishing 50-100 books, and sending them out in unique and compelling packaging to top-selling independent bookstores across the country and following up personally with calls and emails.
4. Local Marketing: We will contact local bookstores, libraries and elementary schools, including my grandchildren’s school for readings. As this is truly a local tale, we will market it in our San Francisco Bay Area community as such.
5. Social Media: We have a website ready to be up and running as soon as our Kickstarter campaign begins: http://www.papaduckstory.com and a Facebook page ready to go: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Papa-Duck-Story/185774454887101
Most importantly, Papa Duck has heart and will appeal to a wide audience as both a visual treat and a story worth listening to and sharing. We believe in Papa Duck and hope you will too!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)