The Nintendo Switch is an incredible console. One of the Switch's best features is that it allows us to take our console games from the big screen and play them anywhere. When Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was announced, I was extremely excited! But it also got me thinking... How am I going to use the GameCube controller to play Smash on the go?
The Switch's USB-C port is inaccessible when using the built in kickstand and Nintendo's GameCube Adapter has 2 USB-A plugs. The only solution I could find to use my GameCube Adapter became a tangled mess of accessories and wires.
As both a gamer and an engineer, I realized that I could solve this problem! Why not build a GameCube Adapter with the additional functionality of both a USB hub and a stand? Thus the Ultimate GameCube Adapter was born. So I began prototyping and refining my concept.
Once I got to the point of having a functional prototype, I sent some out to the Panda Global team for their input. They liked it so much - they wanted to partner with me on the project!
With Panda Global on board, we were able to reach a larger audience and receive more design feedback. Some of the most requested features were adding a USB port for USB controllers and the option of a wired internet connection. We have since added a USB port to the Ultimate GameCube Adapter. We have also decided to include an Ethernet adapter that is fully compatible with the Switch as an add-on.
Currently, I am 3D printing the enclosures and assembling circuit boards by hand to create our prototypes. For mass production, we have partnered with a Kickstarter recommended manufacturer. The final product will be built via injection molding and the circuit boards will be mass produced. Our goal is to focus on quality to create the best product we can for both casual and competitive Super Smash Bros. players.
We tried our hardest to minimize shipping costs and have the best deal we could manage with our logistics partner. We are shipping directly from the manufacturer to minimize costs to the end user. The shipping costs are based on weight of the product and destination of the shipment.
- Writing about the Ultimate GameCube Adapter? Here’s the Press Kit
- Follow GearHawk Studio (Facebook Twitter) and Panda Global (Facebook Twitter) on social media
- Message us at hardware[at]panda.gg if you are interested in retail, wholesale, or distribution
- All of our supporters who have followed us since the original announcement, provided feedback, and signed up on our landing page
- The Panda Global team- for taking an interest in this project and elevating it to new heights
- Griffin Media- for shooting and editing such an incredible video
- Friends and Family- for being my elite wordsmith team, giving website design advice, providing emotional support, joining in photo shoots, and acting as test dummies
- Amanda- for all of your love and support, Photoshop skills, and taking this next step of our next adventure with me
Risks and challenges
Over the past months, We have been working tirelessly to nail down the design, functionality, manufacturing and logistics. Our manufacturing partner has a lot of experience in working with KickStarter campaigns and is even recommended by KickStarter itself. However, no matter the amount of preparation, we recognize that there are always risks and challenges in creating a new product. We cannot foresee every problem that may come up, but we do promise to be open and transparent about any issues that may arise and to be fully committed to addressing them.
If more orders are received than anticipated, the production time may be increased. The tooling for the plastic enclosure needs to be made and that process can take a few rounds of edits. This has been accounted for in the timeline.
100% of the units will be tested before being packaged and shipped.
Shipping and Logistics
We have partnered with a trusted logistics provider to make sure all rewards get where they need to go.
- (30 days)