About this project
The campaign has ended but you can still pre-order Codemurai HERE
Free resources to learn programming, game, web and mobile app development
These are some of our most popular free resources to get you started while we get Codemurai ready!
- Learn to Code in HTML and CSS (free video course)
- A Guide to HTML5 and CSS3 (free ebook)
- Intro to HTML5 Game Development with Quintus (free video course_
- Java Programming for Human Beings (free Java ebook)
- Plenty of free videos in the ZENVA YouTube channel!
- Spanish content - Tutoriales de desarrollo web en español
- The Platinum and Diamond packages now include access to The Complete Mobile Game Development Course - Platinum Edition (15 games) - normally priced at 299 USD.
- We've added additional Early Bird rewards for $19 to make the project more accessible.
Learn to create your own websites, games and mobile apps. Anywhere, at any time.
Codemurai is a mobile app that allows you to learn programming on the go. Whether your goal is to create websites, mobile apps or games, with Codemurai’s bite-sized lessons you can grab all the skills you need, anywhere, anytime!
Codemurai will be available on iOS and Android.
Learn to make websites, games and apps while waiting for a bus or at an airport. Codemurai’s lessons are short, to the point and full of interactive exercises created specially for phone screens.
Turn the process of gaining high-demand Real World skills into something truly engaging. Complete challenges and unlock new exciting content.
Newbies and advanced programmers welcome. Courses for both absolute beginners and advanced programmers will be included in this app. Every journey starts with a single step and the best step you can take will be Codemurai.
See the section "What skills you will gain in Codemurai" for a full list of topics included.
We are taking all the experience we've gained from teaching 150 thousand students at ZENVA and our previous Kickstarter campaign and we are putting in all into this one awesome project.
This is our vision on how we can leverage technology to make learning to code on the phone both fun and effective.
Why I'm so passionate about this idea
I grew up in a remote city in the Atacama Desert, Chile. During my teenage years in the 90’s all I wanted was to learn game development, but there weren’t many resources available, so I learned how to code on my own with a lot of difficulty.
In 2011 I went through a similar process when wanting to learn HTML5 game development so I decided to start creating high quality and affordable educational content on the topics I was passionate about. That's how ZENVA was born!
The idea for Codemurai came out of necessity. There are no good tools to learn coding on your phone. Not for beginners, not for advanced programmers. There are simply no decent options out there that not only work offline and display well on a phone, but are also engaging, fun and good quality.
After all the feedback we've gathered over the years and with the collaboration of our massive student and alumni communities, we will make sure Codemurai delivers the best possible experience when learning to code on your phone.
In our previous Kickstarter we delivered on time and added bonus content
Thanks to the awesome Kickstarter community, last year we were able to fund The Complete Mobile Game Development Course - Learn by Making 15 Games which was successfully delivered to all of our backers ON TIME.
We kept backers informed week by week and responded to all questions. Moreover, backers decided parts of the content of the final course, which was a highly rewarding process.
Besides the promised Stretch Goals of the past campaign, backers received an entire new course for free which was a way for us to say thank you to the Kickstarter community for giving us the chance to make your ideas come true and for all the feedback we've received.
Just like we did last time, we can commit with a lot of confidence to the timely delivery of this project, and who knows! there might be some bonus treats at the end :)
What skills will you gain in Codemurai
The following modules will be included in Codemurai:
1. Web development modules
- Angular 2
2. Game development modules
3. Mobile app development modules:
- iOS development SDK basics
- Android development SDK basics
Codemurai has an in-built gamification layer which rewards you as you make progress and gain new skills. This makes the learning experience much more fun and rewarding.
Course modules are made of individual lessons and a final exam. Lessons are bite-sized and should take no more than 5 minutes to complete. The content will be highly interactive, with lots of quizzes, mini-challenges and examples.
Users can revisit their completed modules at any point in time and repeat lessons and exams.
All reward levels include unlimited access to the Codemurai modules created as part of this campaign. Some of them also include access to some of our video courses on Zenva Academy.
What do our current students say
Where can I see some of Pablo's previous work?
At ZENVA we've authored over 40 online courses in game, web and mobile app development. You can find all of our courses in our e-learning site Zenva Academy, and we have hundreds of videos in our YouTube channel.
Some sample lessons from our online courses so you can checkout my approach to teaching. Keep in mind that Codemurai's lessons are NOT video!
Also, we've written dozens of online tutorials in our blogs GameDev Academy, HTML5 Hive, Android Kennel and De Idea A App (in Spanish) covering a myriad of topics in current web and programming technologies.
The same team of expert writers behind our blogs will help with lesson creation for Codemurai.
What's the difference between Codemurai and ZENVA's current online video courses?
We love video courses and we'll keep on making them, but they are only easy to follow when you have a large screen, good Internet connectivity and quiet time.
I've tried watching courses on my phone while on the train, while on doctors' waiting rooms and while laying on my hammock where the wifi signal just doesn't reach, and it's not a great experience at all!
All the content in Codemurai is built with a mobile-first mentality. There will be no video lessons, but highly interactive bite-size lessons you can complete in 5 minutes, with lots of quizzes and exercises.
We'll do our best to make Codemurai work well on limited Internet connectivity and to consume very little data.
Risks and challenges
It's important to mention one more time that we have a perfect track record when it comes to delivering Kickstarter campaigns on time.
In 2015 we successfully funded The Complete Mobile Game Development Course and were able to deliver it to our backers within the promised time frame. All of our Stretch Goals were also delivered on time. Moreover, we included some extra content as well.
Having said that, every project has risks so I'm going to outline the main risks of this project bellow, and how I plan to address them:
- In software projects there is always the risk of finding unexpected technical and human challenges that delay or significantly impact the result of a project. Feature creep (i.e. adding too many features) is another big risk. We'll try to reduce this risk by sticking to the original set of features and keeping things simple. We plan to use technologies we are familiar with for the actual app, and when it comes to lesson creation, we already have redundancy and a pool of people to contact in case some of the developers can't complete their work.
- According to my planning, the funds we are collecting in this campaign will be enough to cover the costs of the project. In case things don't go as planned and these funds run out, I'll be putting in my personal savings into whatever is needed for the fulfilment of what's being promised to the backers of this campaign.
- In the random world we live in, there is always the risk that something happens to me (let's hope not!). All I can do is take care of myself and stay healthy (which I try at my best!). But I can't promise a meteor won't destroy my house while I sleep if that makes sense!
Making courses and educational content for my startup ZENVA is what I do for a living and everybody who knows me can say I'm very passionate about it. I'm 1000% committed to make this project a reality and deliver the best possible mobile app to learn coding.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)