About this project
LATE BACKERS - You can still enroll
Did you miss our Kickstarter campaign? You can still order the course directly from our e-learning platform using the link below:
Free VR and game development resources by ZENVA
UPDATE: All Stretch Goals have been unlocked!
ALL backers (reward 51 AUD and above) get the following BONUS perks:
- New course: Low-Poly 3D Modeling with Blender for Beginners
- New course: Create a Room-Scale VR Experience for the HTC Vive.
- New course: Create a Virtual Reality Website with WebVR
- Access to reinforcement exercises for C# and Unity to be delivered through our mobile app Codemurai (Android and iOS).
- 5 additional VR projects will be included (15 projects in total).
Learn to make your own VR games and experiences
The Complete Virtual Reality Game Development Course is the world's most comprehensive online course on virtual reality game development with Unity 3D.
No prior knowledge is required. Students will learn and master the foundations of C#, Unity and VR by building a portfolio of 15 immersive games and experiences.
Start a rewarding career in VR. Whether you want to make games for fun, run a startup, or become a professional Unity developer (+160k a year on senior roles), this course contains everything you need to reach your goals. Some of the topics included:
- Types of VR experiences, player controls and cameras
- User interface in VR
- 3D game mechanics
- Level design including terrain generation
- Industry best practices on how to organize your code and assets
- How to build your own portfolio on Github
We've delivered two Kickstarter campaigns ON TIME!
My passion for teaching and VR
My name is Pablo and I'm the founder of ZENVA. Since 2012, I've taught programming online to +200,000 students and have authored over 45 online courses in game, web, and mobile app development. This is my passion and what I do for a living.
I'm part of the Intel Software Innovator Program, and have run live game development workshops in San Francisco, Brisbane and Bangalore. I'm also a co-autor of the book Game Development for Human Beings.
As a life-long fan of VR movies (The Matrix, Inception, ExistenZ), I've been waiting years for this to take off - I can't believe it's finally here! After a few months of upskilling in this brand new field, I decided to go all-in and launch this campaign to make it easy for everyone to jump on board with VR!
From zero to published games
At ZENVA we encourage all of our students to build and publish real projects. The source code and assets of every single game are included, and you can use them on your own projects and Github porfolio.
If you get stuck, there is a discussion area where you can ask questions, meet other students and showcase your work!
What kind of games have Pablo's students published?
Unlock your certificate
Upon course completion you'll get a certificate that can be verified via URL and shared on LinkedIn to impress potential clients and employers.
We'll share your projects on the GameDev Academy
If you publish any VR game or experience after completing our course, we'll promote it for free on our hugely popular website GameDev Academy, to help you get those first downloads!
Which VR headset do I need?
Strictly speaking, you don't need any hardware to complete the course, but if you are getting into VR I'd strongly recommend getting at the very least a Google Cardboard (prices start at $5 on eBay).
Whenever possible, I'll separate the creation of the games in Unity from device-specific lectures, so that everyone can follow along. This will be done by using Unity's native VR support (which at the time of this writing works out of the box with the Oculus Rift).
Headsets supported in the course:
- Oculus Rift
- HTC Vive
- Samsung Gear
- VR Google Cardboard
The main divide in headsets is between desktop (Oculus and Vive) and mobile (Cardboard and Gear VR). I will do my best to make the games work on both worlds, but we will cover some features not available on (current) mobile headsets, such as head position tracking.
Some Stretch Goals might include device-specific content, like the HTC Vive controllers or room scale experiences.
This is a very fast-moving field. Expect course specs to be adapted according to what's happening in the VR tech world!
This campaign offers a unique opportunity to get discounted access to over $1500 USD worth of training courses by industry experts in various programming topics.
Risks and challenges
It's important to mention one more time that we have a perfect track record when it comes to delivering Kickstarter campaigns on time.
Having said that, every project has risks so I'm going to outline the main risks of this project below, and how we plan to address them:
- In software projects there is always the risk of finding unexpected technical and human challenges that delay or significantly impact the result of a project. Feature creep (i.e. adding too many features) is another big risk. We'll try to reduce this risk by sticking to the original set of features and keeping things simple.
- According to my planning, the funds we are collecting in this campaign will be enough to cover the costs of the project. In case things don't go as planned and these funds run out, I'll be putting in my personal savings into whatever is needed for the fulfillment of what's being promised to the backers of this campaign.
- In the random world we live in, there is always the risk that something happens to me (let's hope not!). All I can do is take care of myself and stay healthy (which I try at my best!). But I can't promise a meteor won't destroy my house while I sleep if that makes sense!
Making courses and educational content for my company ZENVA is what I do for a living, so you can say I have a lot of "skin in the game" here. I will go above and beyond to make this a total success!
I'm 1000% committed to making this project a reality and deliver the best possible VR course!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (60 days)