A sincere thanks to everyone who backed this campaign, we are humbled by all the amazing support you have given us! We decided to cancel this campaign, as it was apparent we would not reach our funding goal. It is clear to us why we didn’t reach our goal, which was a likely combination of several factors:
- Timing. The campaign started and ended in two of the statistically slowest months on Kickstarter. To top it off, many very popular and much anticipated tabletop games were also launching during this time, many of which were from highly successful publishers who already have a large following. Additionally, we launched right in the middle of the biggest game conventions in the U.S. (Origins, Dice Tower Con, and Gen Con), which can temporarily draw interest away from Kickstarter games.
- Ambitious goal. As a first time publisher who hasn’t had a chance to build our crowd, our goal was too ambitious. We realize that our crowd-to-funding goal ratio needs to be improved, which can either be achieved by further building our crowd or lowering the goal. We can lower the goal by cutting some of the initial components back (while not affecting game play), and adding them back into the game via stretch goals.
- Not enough clarification. We found several things that we could have clarified better, one of those things being the rulebook. Having a more streamlined rulebook that clearly presents the more complex parts of the game in a way that is easy to understand, would allow potential backers to get a better sense of how to play the game without having to cross reference. We also realize that since this is a 4X game, many potential backers want to know how it compares to other popular 4X sci-fi games in its category. Clarifying these differences was something we neglected to do in this campaign (at least from the beginning), which may have been a deterrent for some backers.
- Art. We feel that the alien art could be improved upon, or at least more in line with the style the intended audience wants to see for this type of game.
During this campaign, we were actively listening to what backers had to say, and taking much of the suggestions and feedback into consideration in order to plan the best possible relaunch.
The improvements we will make with the relaunch include:
- A lower funding goal, in the $20K range.
- A lower price point for both the base game and Special Edition game.
- A major improvement to the rulebook which will include a beginner and advanced variant of the game. The new rulebook will be clear, organized, easy to understand, and accompanied by player aids. In addition, some of the components and graphic design elements will be cleaner and more intuitive.
- Comparison with other 4X games which are similar, which will describe the differences in each game so you can easily decide if this game is for you.
- Improved alien art, which will be more in line with the styles of art in popular sci-fi games like Twilight Imperium, which will be more compelling and bring more flavor to the game.
- Kickstarter Exclusive custom Alien Battle dice in every game.
- More game play videos so you can get a better understanding of how to play the game.
- A few other things backers have suggested and recommended.
For more information you can visit the relaunch campaign, or subscribe to our e-newsletter here.
You can also follow/like us on Twitter/Facebook for more frequent updates and tidbits of information.
You can find lots of additional information including rulebook updates on BoardGameGeek, where we are actively involved in the forums and threads, and can answer any questions you might have about the game.
Thanks so much again to everyone who supported this project, you have all been amazing and we hope you can join us for the relaunch! With your help, we will take this game to the stars and beyond!
Note: all reviews, information and material from this campaign is being moved to the relaunch page.
Risks and challenges
With this being our first campaign, we took a leap of faith by starting off big - a 4X game with lots of custom components. This was a risky move being new publishers, as our crowd was not yet big enough to match our ambition. While we didn't reach our goal, we have learned a lot of invaluable lessons along the way, which we will utilize to make the game and 2nd campaign even better.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (34 days)