Original Grain is the premier maker of all-natural wood and stainless steel watches. Inspired from our roots in the Pacific Northwest, our watches are handcrafted from a variety of exotic hardwoods. It's through our commitment to quality craftsmanship and unique design, we're proud to present our next collection, The Barrel:
The Barrel Features:
1. A BIGGER, BOLDER, BETTER Design: The Barrel's 47mm face is not only bold, but is built to last. We specifically designed this watch with an inlaid case design (and custom sloped bezel) to protect the wood from everyday wear and tear.
2. Made with Reclaimed American Oak Whiskey Barrels (& Exotic Hardwoods): Yep that's right, our featured Whiskey Barrel watch is made with authentic American Oak whiskey barrels - sourced right here in the USA. From the barrel to your wrist, this wood has come a long way!
3. 100% Originality: One of the coolest things about using wood is that every piece has its own unique color and grain pattern. This is why we started making things from wood in the first place. Every piece tells its own story & No two watches are the same!
4. Handcrafted Quality: All of our watches are handcrafted and take numerous steps to complete. This is our salute to the days when products were made well and built to last. For us, this is not an option, it's a requirement.
5.1. A Real Wood Dial (whiskey barrel watch only): As a way to compliment the reclaimed barrel wood used in our featured watch, we decided to use a real wood dial.
5.2. Dual Layer Dial Construction ( all additional color ways): All five additional color ways feature a custom 2-layer dial, which flows seamlessly from the slope of the wood bezel into the face of the watch. Think of this like a sandwich, one on top of the other!
1. Inlaid Case Design: Protects the bezel from being exposed on its outer most edge.
2. Detail Marks: Custom molded into the outside of the case, are 3 very precise detail marks that resemble the steel bands found on a whiskey barrel. Pretty cool huh?
3. Thick Durable Lugs: Connect our stainless steel case and band.
4. Inlaid Band: The wood is inlaid directly into the band, keeping each piece protected.
The design for this watch started with the materials. So, we challenged ourselves to come up with something completely original; something that doesn't exist on the market today!
We decided to use authentic American White Oak, reclaimed from whiskey barrels - our salute to American heritage and the brewers who love their craft.
Why Whiskey Barrels?
For centuries American Oak has been the ideal wood for making whiskey barrels...and there's a reason for that. Oak is extremely durable and provides the unique characteristics required for storing bourbon. We found the same to be true in our watches.
The following details were inspired from the barrels themselves:
1. Case Detail: Similar to the rivets on a whiskey barrel, we included small detail marks that resemble the steel band that holds the barrel together.
2. Inlaid Band & Bezel: Barrels are built to last. And so are our watches. We've designed this watch with an inlaid case and band to protect the wood and keep it secure. You won't find this on another wood watch!
3. Real Wood Dial: By using a real wood dial we were able to really bring this watch together. It was the perfect touch and kept everything very authentic!
The "Whiskey Watch"
During the process of aging whiskey (typically 4 years or longer), the whiskey actually seeps into the walls of the barrel and back out again. However, a certain portion is trapped inside the oak, giving the wood unique character and a hint of whiskey in every watch!
Where Fashion meets Technology
As guys who live and breathe watches, we couldn't ignore the excitement around the Apple Watch. Technology has become such an integrated part of our lives, and there are certain benefits that only a smart watch can provide.
But what about your style?
There is something to be said for the way a traditional timepiece represents individual style and self-expression. So, we developed a way for you to maintain the look of a traditional wristwatch, while still benefiting from the Apple Watch technology. Now you can do both.
This is the Duo Watch Adapter:
We found that the experience is much better on the inside of your wrist - It's more comfortable, easier to read, and keeps your information discreet.
Pay in style and protect your personal information with the DUO Adapter.
Using a custom molded clasp (The DUO Adapter), we designed this so that anyone can simply and easily connect their Apple Watch directly to their new Barrel watch. The following design files show exactly how we engineered our band to connect to the Apple Watch.
How it works: Our custom clasp (The DUO Adapter) links directly from the band of the Barrel into the Apple Watch lugs, providing easy on and off capabilities and a seamless look. Even the Apple Watch lugs themselves are custom molded to fit the DUO clasp.
*Animation created by Brian Hillner. Contact to have animations of your own campaign created: firstname.lastname@example.org
With your help (the Kickstarter community), we successfully launched our first line of watches right here on Kickstarter, becoming the 3rd most funded fashion campaign in KS history!
We spent the next 2 years learning everything there is to know about making these specialized watches, and we're happy to present our new and improved design, The Barrel. For us, there was no better place to share this next watch than right here on Kickstarter.
- Meet the Founders -
That's us, brothers Ryan and Andrew Beltran. Our story starts in the Pacific Northwest, where we grew up. It was there that we developed a love for the great outdoors and became inspired to create this brand.
For us, this is about more than making watches, it's about doing what we love and sharing it with others. Making rad watches with crazy unique combinations of wood & steel is the sugar on top! Thank you for the support and Welcome to the Original Grain Family!
Share The Project!
We want to say a big thank you for checking out our project, and your help in making it a reality.
We have some special stretch goals ready that we know you'll love. So keep on sharing and we'll show you what we have in store.
Even if you can't support us with a pledge, why not help us by spreading the word on Twitter, Facebook and any other social network you're on.
Click any of the links below to share:
Risks and challenges
Using the experience from our last Kickstarter, we feel extremely confident in our ability to execute everything necessary to run a successful campaign, and most importantly, deliver the product in a timely fashion.
We spent over a year designing, developing, and receiving finalized samples. Our suppliers are now on stand-by, just waiting for us to make our first order!
Thanks for all the support! We are excited to take this next step with you, the Kickstarter community!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)