Muscle Memory Trainer
Muscle Memory Trainer
Teaching technique with Kinect: record yourself, compare to pre-recorded pro athletes, view from any angle and get real-time feedback.
Teaching technique with Kinect: record yourself, compare to pre-recorded pro athletes, view from any angle and get real-time feedback. Read more
What Are We Making?
The most efficient method to learn technique in any sport, bar none! How?
1. By recording professional athletes using 3D cameras, and letting you view and repeat their motions.
2. By recording YOU and showing how your technique differs from the correct form, and how you can fix it.
3. By recording you AGAIN and showing you where your inconsistencies (between repetitions) are, allowing you to make your technique more consistent and accurate.
What Will The Product Look Like?
It's serious training software, but after long deliberations we decided to "wrap" this training software inside a video game for XBOX+Kinect. This gives you the choice - you can play, train seriously, or do both.. depending on your needs.
P.S. What does it look like now?
We implemented the demo version using Kinect for Windows, and our testing is done on PCs using speech-recognition as a "temporary UI substitute":
How Can You Use It?
It's really easy to use. The recommended 7-step learning process is:
1. Fire up the XBOX and the Kinect.
2. Browse our pro-athlete library and choose a role model the same shape and size as you.
3. View his/her motion from several angles and try to repeat it.
4. Listen to the corrections and adjust your form until it matches that of your role model.
5. Gradually increase your speed and power and keep repeating.
6. Listen to the corrections after every repetition and adjust your form until it becomes completely consistent.
7. Tell your friends!
Why Wasn't This Done Before?
Until recently, the technology just wasn't good enough. There were some attempts to do this before, dating back almost 15 years; but to get a good 3D recording of your motion they had to use $30,000-worth of custom cameras and you had to wear special clothing with markers and sensors.
The Kinect changes all that.
It gives us something coaches have never had before - a way to make precise 3D recordings of your motions, and precise 3D recordings of hundreds of professionals you can use as role models.
Suddenly, we don't need a coach to show us what the correct technique looks like. We have that.
And we don't need a coach to look at us and tell us what we're doing wrong. We have that too!
Most importantly, we don't have to repeat a movement thousands of times to become consistent at it. With good feedback on every repetition, the time it takes to build muscle memory shortens from years to hours.
How Can You Help?
Tell your friends, post comments, discuss, criticize, donate.
This project is all about you and what you want to get out of this. Make sure to let us know what you want!
Risks and challenges
We have the base algorithms implemented and the demo working - recording, comparison, analysis, playback, 3D visualization, etc.
What we lack is good UI and visual effects, and that's what we need to develop in the next 5 months. You can see the demos in the video.. the graphics are very rudimentary right now, so there's a lot of work to be done.
We need your support, but also - we need your input!
That's why we want ALL OF YOU to come on board, comment, participate, brainstorm with us, and even criticize and shout and curse when you have to.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)