About this project
“True wireless home theatre is still the unattained dream many would love to achieve.” Practical-Home-Theater-Guide.com
Most surround systems offer you a hard decision, immersive sound or simple wireless setup? We say, why not both?
It has only been a dream until now……
Here comes to our 3rd campaign, ONEmicro surround, the true wireless personal surround system.
Wireless is only a feature of easy setup. We believe that sound quality should always come first for a surround system. We innovate the audio product in terms of features, sound quality and cost. ONEmicro surround will bring to you a listening experience far beyond your imagination.
As seen on
A New Sensational Surround Experience
Let’s begin by telling you how good it is: Powerful, Audiophile sound, and Hassle-free
1. Unbelievably powerful surround from a small body
The powerful subwoofer, ONEwoofer, is a twin 6.5” driver design. We have adopted a sealed enclosure design at double the cost of a ported design. The compact size, 225 x 225 x 245 mm, subwoofer can reproduce a deep bass down to 30Hz, surpassing a ported 10” subwoofer. It delivers not only powerful, but also clear, fast and punchy bass. The size is compact enough to be stashed at a corner, giving you much flexibility in placement.
By applying our proprietary bass-filling techniques (more on that later), the handy-size satellite speakers, ONEmicro, can generate big 3D sound covering up to a 350sq.ft. room. They are made of 4mm cast iron in a cylindrical design. This body shape provides the strongest structure for loud and solid sound playing. The speaker driver is a full-range speaker integrated with a passive reflector and a high-density neodymium magnet. The low and high frequency are well balanced and can be extended to perform like a bookshelf-size 2-way speaker.
ONEmicro is so handy sized that you can easily take it anywhere. A full charge gives you 20 hours of play time. You could enjoy movie and music in the living room, bedroom, or even your garden, and at your desk. ONEmicro surround will stimulate your senses with the 3D surround sound, turning your home to a personal theater. A totally new sensation!
2. It is powerful, yet it can be gentle
All ONEaudio speakers are of audiophile-grade design sharing the same DECT technology. ONEmicro is the smallest speaker in the series and has been widely reviewed and recognized for its full-bodied vocal, crystal clear sound, excellent sound imaging and solid bass.
“These are some of the best wireless compact speakers GadgetyNews has had to review” Gadgety News
“Sound like HiFi speaker and very good sound separation” Eric Tong, KS backer
“I can listen to it for 8 hours in a stretch and not feel much fatigue” Geninformation, KS professional backer
Most speakers tend to generate sibilance or harshness in high frequency, leading to ear fatigue after watching a movie. You won’t find this in ONEmicro speakers as we have made good use of the DECT technology to overcome this problem. ONEmicro’s sound is pure, clean and natural. It is not biased towards the treble or the bass. You no longer have to strain your ears and get exhausted after listening for a long time.
3. Only DECT can do true wireless surround
Today, none of the technology available can do true wireless surround because they lack the 2 prerequisites:
low power consumption allowing operation by batteries, AND synchronized multi-channel transmission from source to satellite speakers
• Bluetooth does not support multi channels.
• WiFi is poor in channel synchronization because the satellite speakers receive signal in sequence. In cloudy interference situation, which further worsens the misaligned channel problem.
• WiSA consumes high electric current, therefore cannot be operated on battery.
ONEaudio DECT technology surround system CAN do true wireless surround because:
• DECT supports 6-channel concurrent broadcast
• DECT is intrinsically accurate in timing and achieves channel synchronization within 0.5uS
• Ultra low current consumption, 1/10 of WiFi and 1/20 of WiSA speaker - ONEmicro can play songs for 20 hours at normal volume
• DECT technology can produce high-fidelity sound which is conducive to an outstanding surround experience
Our innovative application of DECT technology in true wireless speakers has been recognized in the international forums: 2016 CES Innovation Award and 2016 DECT Award (Innovation) Winner.
Why most of the home surround systems are of poor sound quality ?
1. Cable distortion. Cable stray capacitance and inductance cause signal distortion, phase noise and destroy frequency response linearity. The longer the cable, the worse the distortion.
Our solution : ONEmicro is a wireless speaker, no speaker cable means no cable distortion.
2. Speaker drivers not in phase due to passive crossover circuit inside speaker. The out-of-phase problem destroys sound clarity. Unclear sound, especially blurs in the middle-range frequency, will be multiplied in surround sound playing when the satellite speakers play at the same time. That is why you would suffer from ear fatigue after watching a film.
Our solution : We use DECT technology and DSP technique, all speaker drivers are guaranteed in-phase and synchronized.
3. Shared supply power among amplifiers dampening sound effect. Manufacturers of AV amplifiers usually claim a high power for each channel. But that’s true only when talking about an individual channel. However, when 5 channels play loud sounds simultaneously, the power supply is shared among all amplifiers. The weakened power supply will clip the sound in highly dynamic loud sound play and dampen the exciting feel. This distorted sound will also become annoyance to the ears, especially after prolonged listening.
Our solution : Each speaker has its own high-capacity battery. No sharing of power supply ensures solid and vigorous sounds.
4. Low-grade subwoofer. Manufacturer tend to use low-cost ported subwoofer in home surround system. Ported subwoofer has non-linear group delay and non-flat frequency response. Subwoofer is seldom designed to match with the satellite speakers, sound spectrum may overlap or become gapped.
Our solution : As good sound quality is of utmost concern, we have used in ONEwoofer a sealed enclosure design for a wide and linear frequency response and twin speaker drivers for powerful bass. ONEaudio surround has been created on the concept of an integrated system with components fully matched to each other for authentic surround sound.
5. Lack of flexibility in speaker placement. Good speaker placement is essential for the best surround sound effect. Current surround system requires planned wiring, usually tying in with a house renovation, making it difficult or impossible for subsequent readjustment to refine the surround effect. Or, the speakers could not optimally be placed as restricted by the layout of the place (e.g. the rear speakers installed at the ceiling).
Our solution : True wireless and compact size speakers promises ideal placement, and can be stowed away when not in use.
6. Poor vocal sound due to low quality amplifier and speaker to cut material cost. A surround system consists of 5 amplifiers, 5 speakers, 5 speaker cables and a subwoofer, a low-price surround system cannot afford qualitative materials to be used.
Our solution : We have invested more than 5 years in developing (i) an all-in-one firmware for loading on a single chip and (ii) a simple hardware design with minimal passive components. The saving in hardware cost is devoted to the high-quality speaker driver. The diligent software and hardware design is the key for ONEaudio products’ extraordinary performance at a low price.
Separated speakers vs sound bar: is sound bar for genuine surround entertainment ?
Some people like sound bars because of its low price and simple setup, and because of this, are prepared to accept the mediocre surround sound effect of sound bars. We strive for the same advantages as sound bars but are not willing to compromise on sound quality. Sound bar is only a TV built-in speaker upgrade version. It never gives you a life-like three-dimensional soundscape. The ONEmicro 5.1 surround speaker system, consisting of individual front, center, rear speakers and a subwoofer, gives far more than a sound bar does.
Sound bar: closely-packed speakers within a narrow enclosure
• The sound bar has very poor channel separation. Left and right channels got mixed up inside the sound bar enclosure.
• Rear sound effect is created by sound reflection of side speakers in the sound bar, leading to sound divergence and hampering the 3D effect.
• Slim-size sound bar does not provide sufficient acoustic chamber size to generate mid to low bass. To compensate for this, sound bar manufacturers commonly use equalizers which would impair the sound quality and even make the sound unbalanced.
Each pair of ONEmicro has its own responsibilities and definite channel separation. Sound comes from every direction, creating a 3D life-like surround sound space. To deal with the lack of mid-bass commonly found in small-size speakers, we have developed a bass-filling technique (see next section) by a uniquely designed wide frequency range subwoofer to fill up mid-bass. ONEmicro is a well-balanced speaker dispensing with the need for equalizers, the sound is therefore real and natural.
Summary of sound characteristics
Characteristic summary of product price range USD400-800 home audio surround systems (i) sound bar, (ii) conventional 5.1 surround, (iii) ONEmicro wireless surround.
Proprietary Bass-Filling technique prepared for patent
Small size speaker is often blamed for its lack of low bass at 100Hz. Subwoofer plays bass for the LFE (low frequency effect) channel which is usually in the range of 33-80Hz, leaving a bass gap of 70-120Hz.
Filling a frequency gap is not as easy as many people think. We found no audio systems can do it well at the moment. The challenging part is to seamlessly fill up the bass gap while not overlapping with the two ends of the gap. The critical part of bass-filling is exact timing :
• Main speaker, center speaker and subwoofer must be absolutely synchronized
• All speakers are of zero phase error
• No non-linear group delay and phase delay in subwoofer
• Subwoofer has wide and flat frequency response at 100-500Hz
We expertly managed all speakers’ characteristics and specially designed the subwoofer to match with the speakers. We then carefully measured the sound response and fine-tuned the system, making sure the filled mid-low bass are clean, clear and match with the main and center speakers.
In the case of 2.1 stereo play, most small size speakers have a problem: the subwoofer bass is flowing at the floor level, separated from the main stream of music. The bass-filling technique can extend low frequency smoothly and continually, thus accurately produce the full frequency spectrum and merge the bass with the music.
Let’s listen to the difference between “with” and “without” the bass-filling technique.
More than surround, it is a HiFi system
ONEmicro is a HiFi grade portable speaker. The console box, ONEbox.micro, is a wireless audio hub bridging WiFi, optical, USB input and transmitting sound tracks to the wireless speaker. It is also a player, it can decode HiRes file by a high quality audio decoder. Inside the box is a highly integrated hardware with 1000MIPS signal processing power to run sophisticated algorithm by 32X32 fixed point arithmetic to attain an internal 64-bit audio resolution. Audio decoder and sample rate conversion are full 32 bit output. ONEmicro speakers plus ONEbox.micro and you are ready for a fabulous time of HiFi music.
WiFi AirPlay/DLNA connection - Instead of Bluetooth because of its poor sound quality, we have used WiFi for wireless CAS (Computer As Source), connecting your iPhone or Android phone to the console box. We highly recommend DLNA for high quality music playback. DLNA is file-streaming instead of audio-streaming and supports HiRes file transfer. There is no encoding and decoding process in the wireless communication, giving you the most natural and original sound.
CD Player - You can connect the CD player to ONEbox.micro. The console box has top class sample rate conversion to enhance 44.1KHz 16bit CD quality to 96KHz 24bit HD quality. Thanks to the powerful DSP, 160 points 32X32 cubic interpolation can be used to recover each sound detail. Now, you can play the songs in your favorite CD collection and experience HiFi sound on ONEmicro.
Sound quality list (descending) :
1. DLNA via WiFi, play 44.1KHz 16bit wave file (the best sound quality)
2. DLNA via WiFi, play FLAC 192KHz 24bit file
3. Local media server stored at USB RAM
4. Play SACD on Blu-Ray player via optical port
5. CD player via optical port
6. USB audio play by iMac
7. USB audio play by WINDOW
8. AirPlay via WiFi (the lowest sound quality)
Comparison of (i) SONOUS stereo set, (ii) B&W A7, (iii) ONEmicro 2.1 :
It is a mini media server
The ONEbox.micro has a USB host port at the back panel. You can plug a USB RAM with 16 to 256GB storage into the box and turn it into a mini media server for local access and networking. ONEbox.micro can play file formats MP3, WAV, and FLAC. For an average 4-minute song, a 32G USB RAM can store : 3500 MP3 songs, or 800 songs in uncompressed CD quality, or 1300 songs in HD 48/24 FLAC format, or 200 songs in HiRes 192/24 FLAC format.
Standalone operation on ONEbox.micro, independent of CD player or smartphone
Plug in a USB RAM loaded with song files and then use the two keys on ONEbox.micro to play songs. You can change playback in sequence or randomly. It is so convenient when you want to free up your smartphone, or when a CD player is not available.
Remote operation through wireless access
You can use your smartphone as a remote controller, linked by DLNA, to browse the server, create playlist and play songs.
Media server operation, download and upload in 1 step
The ONEbox.micro can be connected to your home network via WiFi and acts as a remote hard disk to your computer. You can download songs from the internet and directly stored them on the ONEbox.micro in one single step.
Transform to 3 pairs of portable speaker, outdoor okay
The ONEmicro surround kit comes with a USB stereo dongle. You can detach speakers from ONEbox.micro and switch speaker connection to the USB dongle. Speakers and dongle are free to go with you for use in your garden party, or when camping.
To know more about how to transform ONEmicro into speaker networks for outdoor use, please refer to our KS campaign for ONEmicro.
Free firmware upgrade, upgrade speakers without wastage of old speakers
ONEaudio is a progressive product - we offer free firmware upgrade, mainly for sound quality improvement and compatibility with other ONEaudio products. Upgrade is done through a USB port and requires only a few simple steps.
Our ONEmicro is upgradeable, expandable, and compatible with all other ONEaudio speakers. You can enhance your ONEmicro surround speakers one pair at a time. If you want to add a higher-model speaker to your surround system, the original ONEmicro speaker can simply be added to another channel in parallel with the existing one to give a louder sound. Or, you can add the old speaker to another set of stereo speakers to enhance the system. So, there will be no wastage of old speakers and no regret.
If you are a bass lover, you can add up to 4 subwoofers to fit your needs. You can combine any of ONEaudio subwoofer, ONEwoofer.6+6, ONEwoofer.8+8, ONEwoofer.12+12, to fill up each layer of bass.
Simple setup, Easy operation
Simple setup, 1-2-3
1. Plug in optical cable, USB cable and power cable to ONEbox.micro.
2. Power up ONEbox.micro and ONEwoofer.6+6, switch on all ONEmicro speakers
3. Connect your smartphone to ONEbox.micro via WiFi, browse ONEbox.micro home page. You can use your smartphone to select input, change volume, setup system and read speaker status.
Ready for use!
Operation by your smartphone
Just a touch on the screen buttons and you will get the function done. The 4 main functions are set out in 4 pages :
Operation : Select input, change master volume, audio mode, playing info
Connection : Show speaker connection, set speaker group volume
Status : Show speaker battery level, sound profile
Setup : WiFi setup, add speaker
Operation by keys
You can press 2 keys on ONEbox.micro to do the basic function without smartphone. Key operation is voice-guided. You can select input, change master volume and add speaker.
USB dongle operation
Plug in the USB dongle to device, which can support USB audio, you can play music without ONEbox.micro. You need to have a USB lightning adaptor for connecting USB dongle to your iPhone, or use an OTG adaptor for your Android phone. With the USB dongle, HiFi quality music has never be so handy, ONEmicro can work in your garden or camp site.
2 keys on ONEmicro can operate speaker function. Operation menu is voice guidance. You can power on/off the speaker, change speaker group volume, change sound profile, check battery level and pair speaker. Each pair of ONEmicro can connect up to 3 transmitters, voice prompt will guide you to switch connection to other transmitter, for example, switch connection from ONEbox.micro to USB dongle.
Build of speakers
The subwoofer : ONEwoofer.6+6
Featuring its twin 6.5” driver in a compact size design, ONEwoofer sounds at a high response speed in both stereo and surround mode, giving less directional effect, refining the entire sound field, more closely reflecting the ideal listening environment.
We have added a dual USB port to our subwoofer for charging the ONEmicro speakers. As the subwoofer is always powered, you can use the subwoofer to charge all 6 ONEmicro speakers at the same time.
In the kit set, we will provide 2 types of USB charging cables:
- 1 to 2 USB charging cable ( for 2 speakers)
- 1 to 4 USB charging cable ( for 4 speakers)
The charging time for all 6 ONEmicro speakers is 6 - 8 hours.
The enclosure is made of Epoxy, a material of high density and high strength. ONEwoofer can sustain high sound pressure and hence minimising the undesired vibration of the subwoofer cabinets. The material cost is 5 times higher than MDF (medium density fibreboard) commonly used in home-audio grade subwoofer. An example of high-end subwoofer made with Epoxy is Eclipse TD520SW.
• Deeper bass down to 30Hz (-6dB), performance better than a 10” woofer
• 2 speaker drivers, 2 times of power output
• High density material, weight 10Kg
• Fast, punchy, clean and clear bass
• Extra wide frequency response up to 500Hz
• Full digital processing by high speed DSP, all filters are guaranteed linear phase
• Support parallel subwoofers up to 4, can be combined with ONEwoofer.8+8 and ONEwoofer.12+12
• 3-key operation with voice guidance
Satellite speakers : ONEmicro
ONEmicro might be the best sound-quality small-sized speaker on the market, as supported by the countless media reviews and enthusiastic backers’ comments. It is a true stereo wireless speaker, with excellent sound imaging and well-balanced natural sound.
“ .. a tiny speaker sound this clean and full bodied …”
“ .. come close to the true fidelity .. “
“ .. the bass was more impressive than that pair of USD1600 I recently review “
“ .. the speakers can achieve true stereo sound by accurate syncing ..”
“ .. excellent clarity and full details ..”
“ .. Highly recommended this speaker networked..”
“ .. This is a HiFi..”
“ .. I’ve listened to it for 20 hours and it has increasing surprise me.. “
“ .. good resolution and fast transient .. “
“ .. natural sounding, leading to low fatigue.. “
“ .. battery life… 14 hours loudly play .. I am incredulous about this .. “
If you want to know more about ONEmicro’s design or how good ONEmicro’s sound is, please have a look at our Kickstarter ONEmicro campaign : The Most Natural Audiophile Sound, big sound in small body.
About our team
Sinotech Communication Ltd. is a research and development engineering house established in Hong Kong since 1995. The company has more than 12 years of experience in DECT development, with expertise in protocol stack, DSP block design and application implementation. Sinotech has always provided our customers with solid and tailor-made technical support in software, hardware and production engineering, especially in the field of wireless consumer products. Since 2010, Sinotech has started to research into use of DECT in audiophile-grade wireless audio products, with the culmination of ONEaudio in 2016. ONEaudio is the world’s only true wireless surround system that also produces superior sound.
The brand ONEaudio, our mission “ONE” mean :
- Beginning of new generation of audio – true wireless
- The only one in the World
- The best “number one” of sound quality in portable speaker
- Simple as “one-two-three”
This is our 3rd Kickstarter project. The previous projects are : Apr 2016 ONEclassic DECT wireless speaker, 4K speaker that sound 200K Sep 2016 ONEmicro DECT wireless speaker, the most natural audiophile sound, big sound in small body
We have got very positive comments from our backers:
“ .. This is the first KS campaign that I have backed that actually delivered their (working) product on time .. ” Sunny Smith
“ .. Deliver on time and great respond time to question.. ” Eric Tong
“ .. This was delivered on time and the product is better than I expected.. ” Trogdor
“ .. You guys OVER-DELIVERED only your promised shipment date.. I have them two months early .. ” Loren
“ .. the best Kickstarter project .. ” Eric Tong
" .. team behind the project is passionate and responsive .. " Dylan Tan
We love you to click & share our story
Do you like this innovative product? Great! Just click any buttons below to share our story and products to your friends and family. The larger community we make, the more we can do together to make change for your life to true wireless 5.1! Please join us! We can’t do this without you!
You can find press release and high resolution photos here.
Risks and challenges
Risks and challenges
1. Qualification process is completed, major components are ready, only have a very low risk of shipment delay.
2. The recipient is the importer of the shipment and must comply with all laws and regulations of the destination country. Orders shipped outside of Hong Kong may be subject to import taxes, customs duties and fees levied by the destination country. The recipient of an international shipment may be subject to such import taxes, customs duties and fees, which are levied once a shipment reaches the recipient's country. Additional charges for customs clearance must be fulfilled by the recipient; ONEaudio has no control over these charges, nor can we predict what they may be.
3. Customs policies vary widely from country to country; backer should contact your local customs office for more information. When customs clearance procedures are required, it can cause delays beyond our original delivery estimates. However, ONEaudio is happy to provide any assistance wherever possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (47 days)