Shipment of the first batch of Developer Edition / #TrueSmartHackaton
We are thankful for your patience and consideration.
We have officially started shipping the Developer Edition 512MB+4GB / 2100MHz TrueSmart. About 1,000 backers will receive their TrueSmart in the course of the next two weeks.
As you know, production runs are split in batches according to the different models. For the last two weeks, we have implemented the continuous improvement plan actions set from the Pilot Runs #1 and #2 but the final assembly of the TrueSmart has been tougher than expected and here are some of the reasons of the delays:
• Each TrueSmart goes through a long CNC process of its stainless steel casing then they are tested in our lab to make sure they can pass the IP67 rating.
• We have faced a high failure rate of the curved touch panel during our Pilot Runs so we had to rework the casing to make it fit properly. We have hired two Quality Engineers to follow this new process directly at the stainless steel casing factory.
• We have modified the wristband tooling to a more robust design.
• We have qualified a better water-resistant loudspeaker supplier.
• The Ocharger is now fully qualified and is in Mass Production.
• We have received the US 3G antenna from our supplier based on the October fine-tuned samples we provided to FCC so production can start for US backers.
Current working view of the shipment planning start per model:
1. 512MB+4GB (2100MHz EU 3G): End of Nov
2. 512MB+4GB (1900MHz US 3G): Mid of Dec
3. 1GB+4GB (1900MHz US & 2100MHz EU 3G): Mid of Dec
4. 1GB+8GB (1900MHz US & 2100MHz EU 3G): End of Dec
We are doing our best to make sure every TrueSmart will be shipped before Xmas but it is still a challenge for some of the models as we must ship them one by one and repackage them with the goodies and accessories each of you selected.
This is actually the main reason of the delay right now rather than engineering issues.
Please be assured that we are dedicated to assemble and ship these models in priority.
In parallel, we are working closely with industrial partners to enhance the TrueSmart connected hardware and software ecosystems with new app partnership every week.
In order to keep pioneering and innovating in the Smartwatch 2.0 segment Omate created, we will run two global virtual hackatons dedicated to the TrueSmart.
• Timeline: 5 weeks: From Friday Dec 13th to Friday Jan 10th (the end of CES Las Vegas)
• Terms: Developer must share photos or videos of a brand new feature or app using the hashtag #TrueSmartHackaton to any of the following social media G+ / FB / Twitter. (Press simultaneously both side buttons to Print Screen the TrueSmart display)
• Award: Limited TrueSmart Hacker Edition (#1 to #10) laser printed with name of each winner that we will select every Friday. (Total 5 winners for the 1st Hackaton)
For the Developers who may not be able to participate to the 1st #TrueSmartHackaton due to the delays of some of the models, we will run a 2nd #TrueSmartHackaton from End of January until the end of February (the end of MWC Barcelona)
#TrueSmartHackaton Number 1:
- Dec 13
- Dec 20
- Dec 27
- Jan 3
- Jan 10
#TrueSmartHackaton Number 2:
- Jan 31
- Feb 7
- Feb 14
- Feb 21
- Feb 28
Omate will select a winner every Friday during the Hackaton time and each winner will be rewarded with a special Hacker Edition of the TrueSmart which will be shipped end of February. These Limited Edition models will be marked from #1 to #10 with a customized laser printed battery cover.
We look forward to developing the TrueSmart Ecosystem with the Omate Developer community!
Press Release: Omate® Launches Global Wearable Hackaton through the Developer Edition of the TrueSmart™ http://www.omate.com/press/omate_truesmart_press_release_20131121.html
Omate TrueSmart Community Forums: www.omate.com/forum