UPDATE: MZUNGU JUST MADE INDIEWIRE.COM PROJECT OF THE DAY!!!
Thanks for all your continued support and let's keep working to bring those backers in and make Mzungu!!!
What's a Mzungu?
Mzungu (pronounced [muh-zun-gooo]) is the southern, central, and eastern African term for a person of foreign descent. Literally translated it means "white person". The term is also loosely used to mean some sort of "Boss" because of the association between tourists and money.
What's The Story?
Mzungu is a scripted feature film that explores an American traveler’s unexpected nightmare while vacationing in Africa. Inspired by actual events, the story chronicles Jesse Bloom, a charming, young man who wakes up after a night of hard partying and is arrested for a grisly murder. Suddenly thrust into the underbelly of Kenyan society, he is forced to contend with the kinds of people that would normally go unseen by an outsider (a tourist). The film honestly examines our perceptions of good and evil while delivering an enthralling and taut thriller.
A message from the Writer/Producer behind Mzungu
Nairobi is a unique city with a diverse range of characters struggling in some of the most interesting ways to earn a living. Like many developing cities, Nairobi has its share of social issues but one of the most interesting things about Kenya is the people. Nairobi is particularly known for it’s electric nightlife and ingenuity of its citizens who will always search deep for any way to make an extra shilling. Mzungu takes us on a journey into the deep, often ignored, streets of Nairobi where we meet the faceless people who actually run Nairobi.
I was born and raised in Nairobi and the workings of the real street hustlers and their constantly evolving relations with the police has been of great interest to me and formed the foundation for Mzungu.
With Mzungu we hope to bring the audience into a world that they’ve never seen before.
A message from the Director/Writer behind Mzungu
I’ve had the unique experience of living as both an American in Africa and as an African in America. As a filmmaker, I want to bring an uncompromising authenticity to this film… shooting on location in Kenya while capturing the exotic locales and gritty streets of Nairobi.
In April 2012, we traveled to the heart of Kenya, Africa on an exploratory trip. What we discovered is an amazing city laden with stunning locales and a community of supportive citizens and professionals who greeted us with open arms. Our Kickstarter video contains some of the amazing footage we captured. The resources we’ve tapped into are an incredible gift that we need to utilize for this film.
In order to tell a story this unique while utilizing an innovative execution plan (and retain complete creative control), we need your help. We want to invite you into the world of Mzungu where you have the opportunity to collaborate with an amazing cast and crew (even joining us on location in Africa!!!) who are committed to making an original, engaging, and entertaining movie.
Thank you for taking the time to review our campaign, and we look forward to your continued support in bringing Mzungu to the masses.
How can I help make Mzungu?
Our goal for this campaign is to raise $40,000 towards the production of the film. (See FAQ for complete details on exactly how this money will be spent.)
The plan is to utilize Kickstarter fans generous donations to complete production for the film and raise post-production and distribution funds from additional completion grants.
- Our campaign has a hard deadline of 7pm P.S.T. on Friday, October 19th.
If you decide to help, you pledge whatever you want in exchange for the rewards (for example, a DVD of the film when it's done, an HD download, your name in the credits and…joining Team Mzungu in Kenya!).
Just create a Kickstarter account that only takes a few seconds. You can keep up with our project here through the Updates tab at the top. We’ll be updating the site with new videos! Amazon processes all the financial things for Kickstarter. You will have to create an account for Amazon as well but it’s super quick and will give you the opportunity to join Team Mzungu!
The more you pledge, the better your rewards! Take a look at the column on the right to see what's available for you.
If we make the goal by the deadline, your credit card is charged with what you pledged (but not until then). We get to make the movie and you get your rewards.
If we don't make the goal by the deadline your credit card is not charged and Mzungu does not go into production and we go back to the drawing board.
- Mzungu related rewards are in the column to your right. Rewards range from a digital download of the movie to joining Team Mzungu in Kenya, Africa! It’s a filmmaking and travel experience you will never forget!!!!
- Estimated Delivery For Rewards: December 2013: The production will make its best efforts to deliver items as we get them. Certain rewards that are tied directly to events will be redeemed sooner.
- SHIPPING IS INCLUDED in the pledge amount for all rewards.
Who's Team Mzungu?
Olu Odebunmi has directed a collection of award winning short films and commercials including the well-received short film Solace starring Michelle Van Der Water (Single Ladies). As a writer, Olumide co-wrote the hit Universal Pictures release Smokin’ Aces 2 and is currently developing a television series with Jason Blum (Producer of the Paranormal Activity series) for blumhouse productions. In addition to multiple writing and story development assignments, he and writing partner--Tolu Awosika--are also currently scripting a multi-platform series for Emmy award winning Fourth Wall Studios.
Olatunde Osunsanmi recently directed his third feature film, Evidence, for Marc Platt Productions (Drive, Wanted). He wrote and directed The Fourth Kind for Universal Pictures starring Milla Jovovich (Resident Evil). Critics and audiences praised the movie as an astounding and original piece of work that former CNN host Larry King heralded as, “A remarkable movie that boggles the mind and changes your opinion about UFOs. This is Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind.” The Fourth Kind became one of the top five highest grossing films in the U.S. during its opening weekend.
Bernard Neto has written, produced and directed several films including The Cardinal Code, Sinister (currently in post production), The Last Mile and He’s On My Mind. In addition, Neto is currently working on three new animation feature films set in Africa. Neto has worked on projects for renowned companies like Showtime and Discovery channel. Born and raised in Kenya, Neto is the creative director of Tafsiri Entertainment Group and has set up a film production unit in Kenya that will focus on co-productions with production companies in the United States, Europe and Asia.
Benjamin Alfred Onyango Ochieng left his native country Kenya to pursue acting in the United States. He has since worked on numerous feature films and TV shows including: The Terminal (starring Tom Hanks and Zoe Saldana), Tears Of The Sun (starring Bruce Willis and Monica Bellucci), The Shield, and The X-Files. His fluency in and knowledge of the Swahili language has landed him voice acting and ADR roles in many Hollywood films including: The Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, Machine Gun Preacher, and Inception.
Jake Deptula is currently producing the feature film Legacy for writer-director Olumide Odebunmi (Smokin’ Aces 2, Solace). Deptula produced the critically acclaimed Ethiopian film Journey to Lasta that earned a New York International Independent Film & Video Award. His previous producing efforts include the Method Fest award-winning Pee Stains & Other Disasters; Solace starring Michelle Van Der Water (NCIS: Los Angeles); and The Yard, that premiered at NAB. A native of St. Louis, Missouri, Deptula earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Webster University.
Wondwossen Dikran has produced numerous projects for innovative media companies such as New Remote Productions, Nash Entertainment, A. Smith and Co., and Authentic Entertainment to name a few. Wondwossen wrote and directed Journey To Lasta, a groundbreaking narrative film for the emerging Ethiopian film industry. After a successful festival run and critical praise, the award-winning film was released by Vanguard Cinema for DVD and TV markets throughout the United States and Canada. As a writer-producer, Wondwossen continues to develop various original projects for film and television.
Tolu Awosika has collaborated with writer-director Olu Odebunmi on numerous projects including the film Solace and the cutting edge multi-platform series Flare for 4th Wall Studios. They are currently developing a television series with Jason Blum (Producer of the Paranormal Activity series) for blumhouse productions.
How can I join Team Mzungu in Kenya?
If you want to join our Cast & Crew in Kenya on set we are actively looking for TEAM MZUNGU MEMBERS to assist in the making of the film. Your generous donation for the TEAM MZUNGU package (see the column to the right) will include the following:
"The Team Mzungu Member" will receive the following:.
- On set visit for 7 Days in Kenya
- US Airfare to Kenya (Roundtrip)
- Lodging for 7 days
- Meals with the cast & crew (7 days)
- You become a Consulting Producer on Mzungu
- You receive a Walk on Role in Mzungu
- Very Special Thanks during Credits
- Mzungu Screen Used Wardrobe
- Mzungu Screen Used Prop
- Mzungu Exclusive On Set Video From Your Visit
- Mzungu Blue Ray
- Mzungu HD Digital Movie Download
- Autographed Shooting Script
- 4 Tickets to Los Angeles Screening
IT'S GOING TO BE A ONCE IN A LIFETIME EXPERIENCE!!!!
You must have a valid passport and be able to obtain a visa.
I have zero money but I still want to support Mzungu!
We are looking for support in all forms, financially, social media, just spread the word however you can!
Like our video at the top of the page and tweet it out to your friends; add us on Facebook and invite your friends to as well; make an announcement at your school, community group or church; or forward our email flyer to all your friends and family with your own personal message.
Whatever you can do for the project we sincerely appreciate it!
Mzungu in the Press
Do I have to start a Kickstarter and Amazon account?
- Yes, but its free and only takes a few seconds. You can keep up with our project here through the Updates tab at the top. We’ll be updating the site with new videos! Amazon processes all the financial things for Kickstarter. You will have to create an account for Amazon as well but it’s super quick and will give you the opportunity to join Team Mzungu!
When do you plan to release the film?
- Our goal is to shoot the film in March 2013 with a Theatrical, DVD, and VOD release set for December 2013.
What is your Kickstarter goal? Where will the money go to?
- The great news is that we’ve already done the legwork to ensure a fantastic production experience in Kenya:
- During our Location scout this spring we were able to:
- Get Cooperation from:
- Local businesses
- The Government
- The Police
- Audition local cast members
- Meet a great team of local crew
- The money will be spent on:
Can donors increase pledges once they have been made?
- Yes! If you have already donated, and are signed in to your account, then instead of a green “Back This Project” button on our page, there should be a blue “Manage Your Donation” button. Click that, and you can enter a new amount or choose a new incentive!
What do donors receive for giving?
- See the Rewards section for more details.
When will I receive my rewards?
- We will be shipping all rewards just after the release in December 2013 with the exception of any set or travel awards.
How will you know where to send my incentives?
- After our deadline, we will send you a Kickstarter message (which automatically forwards to the email address you gave Kickstarter) requesting all the necessary information.
I want more information…
- You can take a look at our webpage: www.facebook.com/mzungufilm for more information.
How can I contact you?
- You can reach any of our producers Jake, Wondu, or Neto at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the film, the campaign, donations, rewards, or want to send your info for a chance to join our team please do. We want to hear from you!
CONTACT TEAM MZUNGU:
Email us at: email@example.com
'LIKE' our MZUNGU Facebook page: www.facebook.com/mzungufilm
Follow Mzungu on Twitter:
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
- (59 days)