The Olmose App - Reuse technology for your security
Repurpose your unused smartphone and turn it into a high-tech security Guardian you can control remotely using your new smartphone.
People usually upgrade their smartphones every 2 years and most of the time they are still in good condition. Hence, our intent to give them a second life for your security.
The Olmose App is an reliable, easy-to-use multi-functional security system that allows you to protect on what matters the most to you wherever you are.
The Olmose App enables you to record, monitor and get notifications if necessary.
It is a smart security system at the lowest possible cost.
2 DIFFERENT APPS
- The Olmose Guardian app: an app you install onto an unused smartphone and that will turn the latter into an authentic security Guardian equipped with the latest technology ;
- The Olmose Remote app: the app you install onto your new smartphone in order to turn it into a remote control for your Guardian ;
A WIDE RANGE OF FUNCTIONALITY
TECH SPECS (GUARDIAN)
- Guardian: Android V4.0.3 or above ;
- Remote: iOS, Android V4.0.3 or above ;
To avoid any false alarms and reinforce the reliability of the system, we have created the Dog Station.
A compact and practical device that not only acts as a stand and a charging station for the Guardian but which is also able to detect any kind of suspicious movement, including at night, thanks to its infra-red sensors.
This audio/video/infra-red detection is quite unique and it is precisely what makes the Olmose alarm system one of the most reliable on the market.
DESIGN & PROTOTYPING
The Dog Station is the result of a technical and creative reflection.
Through our collaboration with François, Industrial Designer, we have created and tested a functional tool which is both ergonomic and design.
Exploring lots of different approaches allowed us to continuously improve our prototypes.
- Dimensions: base: 2.4inches / 60mm, height: 3.6inches / 90mm ;
- Weight: 0.40 lbs / 0.18 kg ;
- Detection: dual-element pyroelectric sensor ;
- Detection angle: 80 ° ;
- Range: 20 feet / 6 meters ;
- Detection speed: 0,3 à 2,5 ms ;
- Warm-up time: 60 seconds ; Supply voltage: 5V +/- 0,25 VDC ;
- Power consumption: 30 mA on 5V DC ;
- IN: micro USB coming from 5V smartphone power supply ;
- OUT: micro USB OTG cable (4 inch / 10 cm) to the smartphone ;
- Operating humidity: 90% ;
- Operating temperature: -4°F to 95°F / -20°C à 35°C ;
Our initial intent when we first started working on Olmose was to develop an app that would be sold along with accessories such as tripods and clamping jaws for the smartphone.
After thinking it over, the Dog Station and its infra-red sensors turned out to be the best possible option to reinforce the reliability of the Guardian.
As you may know, the production of plastic parts not only requires significant investments in terms of mold manufacturing but also substantial minimum order amounts.
Our presence on Kickstarter pursues a twofold purpose:
- First, we would like to test people’s interest in our original low-cost security solution;
- Then, we want to raise the necessary funds in order to launch the first Dog Station production batch;
If we come up with more money than expected, we would use it to develop more sophisticated features.
A father and a son are behind the original idea of Olmose:
- Constant Van Dooren, 30 years of experience in the development and selling of alarm security systems ;
- Julien Van Dooren (Constant’s son), IT engineer and developer for 20 years, expert in home automation system software ;
Based on their experience and complementarity, they strongly believe in the success of Olmose.
To carry out this project, they have surrounded themselves with specialists that helped them bring this idea to life.
Follow us on:
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/olmose/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/olmosedotcom
Risks and challenges
The development of our project does not represent any major risks.
As a matter of fact, the product is already in perfect working order, the technical issues have been solved, the app development is currently being finalized and all the potential subcontractors have been contacted.
However, if the demand on our Kickstarter page was to be higher than expected, a slight delay in shipping the products could be possible (about 2 months).
In that case, we will therefore need to consider a more robust server architecture to be able to start off with a large number of users at the same time. During that period, we’ll have to carry out load tests.
- (55 days)