Laptop stands solve a problem that occurs when we use our laptop as a desktop computer. The screen is too low and that leads us to a bad posture and back pain.
You may not use a laptop stand, but you probably should.
ISOSCELES is a minimalistic, foldable laptop stand designed so that you can easily take it with you to use your laptop anywhere you want with the greatest comfort and without bad postures.
This Make100 project will allow you to get this Special Edition object exclusively, at a reduced price. ISOSCELES is totally handmade and it´s available in various custom finishings. Rewards are limited. Don't miss it!
* To choose color you'll be asked to pick yours in a survey once the campaign ends.
Now that the project is funded I want to make it as special as possible. Add ons will allow you to customize your ISOSCELES even more and make it unique, involving you in the process. That's why I'm releasing these add ons:
- 1) Laser engraving. It will include ISOSCELES logo and the message "Special Kickstarter Edition. No. xx/zz" and a short text that you'll be able to design together with me. Laser engraving will have a cost of 3EUR (3.5 USD) for those of you who want your customized ISOSCELES. It will be free for all you who help me get more support with the referral program. Send me a message and we'll begin! I'll contact you directly to explain it in detail.
- 2) Textile bag case. It unlocks when ISOSCELES reaches 30 backers.
If ISOSCELES meets certain funding goals, that will unlock free Add ons! These are the planned Stretch goals:
- 1) ISOSCELES reaches 100 backers - FREE laser engraving for all project backers. Remember you can have early access to free add ons if you join our referral program.Send me a message and we'll begin! I'll contact you directly to explain it in detail.
- 2) ISOCELES reaches 200 backers. FREE textile bag case for all backers. Remember you can have early access to free add ons if you join our referral program.Send me a message and we'll begin! I'll contact you directly to explain it in detail.
Share your love for Isosceles!
- - Take a look at this project that I support on Kickstarter! http://kck.st/2DGYrC9
- - You may not use a laptop stand, but you probably should. http://kck.st/2DGYrC9
- - I support Isosceles. A custom made minimalistic laptop stand http://kck.st/2DGYrC9
Do you want to help us and receive a reward in return?
Referrals also have rewards, send me a private message if you want to know more about referral program.
History and inspiration
Laptops give us the freedom to use them wherever we want, they are light and powerful and we use them all the time; whether to work, watch movies or communicate with our loved ones and we are used to carrying them wherever we go.
Although they are practical and versatile, they are not perfect and perhaps we are not using them correctly, for what they were designed. Especially at work, when we use the laptop on our desk, where it is everything but ergonomic because of its position, angle and the height of the screen that forces us to bad posture.
In addition, some jobs demand a lot of performance from the processor, which causes laptops to warm up and, in the case of the older ones, this heat does not dissipate well and may force the computer to shut down automatically.
It is for these reasons that you can find many laptop stands in the market. That being the case...
Why do I decide to carry out this project?
For one reason only, I love facing the design of a common product and finding a solution that results in a unique and original object that makes it special and authentic. I did the same in my previous succesfully funded Kickstarter projects, Readme and Montelouro.
This is how Isosceles was born.
It's design is based in the triangle, the simplest way to build a surface. It’s also one of the most solid and stable shapes, the only one that is inherently rigid.
ISOSCELES is the name that receives a triangle that has two equal sides and is also the basic concept of this very special object.
When I did my briefing for this project, the parameters I highlighted as identifiers of a good laptop stand design were:
- Stability, durability and portability
To those concepts, I added my own:
- Simplicity, beauty and personality
ISOSCELES is the result of all these concepts, combined with my way of understanding design and most importantly, material driven design. This laptop stand is made of a 15 mm birch plywood board, a solid and strong material carefully shaped into a special object, finished and waxed by hand, that allows me to offer Custom Editions directly collaborating with you.
The two symmetrical pieces of ISOSCELES are joined with a hinge that allows the laptop stand to unfold. Design itself and some small magnets keep the pieces in position.
ISOSCELES is 100% handcrafted in my design studio's workshop. The process begins with a pencil. I use a template to draw the shape on the wooden board.
I use the band saw to cut the pieces following the silhouette and an electric sander to smooth and perfect the shape and round corners. Then, using hand sanding paper, I polish wood for an even smoother surface.
That's the time for finishing using natural wax for the natural finish or custom, hand paint or natural walnut tint made from walnut shells.
Finally the parts are assembled, the magnets attached in their holes and ISOSCELES is ready to be used!
If you want to feature this campaign, click here and follow the link. In our Media Kit you'll find:
- 1. doc file with project description and personal bio.
- 2. High Resolution pictures
- 3. Web optimized pictures
You can contact me directly using the e-mail email@example.com
Hi, I'm Rafa, product designer and maker from A Coruña (Spain) where I work at my independent design studio, Oitenta, dedicated to creating special objects for design lovers daily life. I work for people who value originality, those who seek to surround themselves with objects with a story, objects that transmit something unique.
I hope you like ISOSCELES and decide to support it!
Thank you very much,
Designer and maker
Dear backers, thank you all for your support!
Eric, Creative Fund, Rafa, Berta, Fer, Borja, Rubén, Mohammed, Daniel, Timeless, Rachel, Laura, Rubén, Linda, Gordham, Dennis, Takuji, Rob, Emma, Joel, Douglas...
Risks and challenges
My first goal was to find a design solution to turn a common object into a special one. I developed this product from the beginning, making several models and prototypes until I found the best shape.
I'm facing this project all by myself. I will make the rewards by hand in my workshop.
The challenge is to prove myself capable of reaching my goal and correspond or exceed backer's expectations with the best quality and before deadline.
- (30 days)