About this project
| Twitter | Facebook | Press Release
Welcome to the world of TSIOQUE (pronounced /ʧɪɒk/, or /tsɪɒk/)!
Play the demo, enjoy, and share your thoughts! YouTubers – feel free to monetize.
The demo may still not be the quality of the final product, but it will certainly help you visualize the look and feel we are aiming for in the full version of TSIOQUE.
And if you are really busy, you can just watch the gameplay below:
All of our reward tiers include a Steam key and DRM-free copy.
- Update 25 - NEW PERK - MAGIC MEDALLION !!!
- Update 24 - 84%, 4 days left... Making-of: Assorted sketches
- Update 23 - NEW PERK - SPIDER Plushie !!!
- Update 22 - Over 80%, interviews galore
- Update 21 - NEW PERK - RETRO BIG BOX !!!
- Update 20 - The secret story behind Tsioque
- Update 19 - Youtube plays TSIOQUE!
- Update 18 - Demo update, new event!
- Update 16 - Making-of: the Dungeon
- Update 15 - Over 50%, Demo on Steam, Youtube reactions
Update 14 - NEW PERK - NEW UNIQUE ARTBOOK !!!
- Update 13 - NEW PERK - Torturer Imp !!! (BUNDLE - 2 GAMES)
- Update 12 - Making-of: the Evil Wizard
- Update 11 - GAME BOX - Unboxing
- Update 10 - TSIOQUE interview
- Update 9 - NEW PERK - Tormented Imp !!!
- Update 8 - WE ARE GREENLIT! and plushies
- Update 7 - Creatures of TSIOQUE
- Update 6 - TSIOQUE artbook - vote!
- Update 5 - Soldiers of EVIL
- Update 4 - Making-of: the Good Queen
- Update 3 - Making-of video, Greenlight news
- Update 2 - $5000, 14% funded, STAFF PICK
- Update 1 - Day 1 round up
FEATURED REWARDS TIERS
Game box - more info >>>
More info: Update 21 - NEW PERK - RETRO BIG BOX !!!
ALEK: The game we're working on is a 2D point-and-click adventure game, made in the spirit of the classics I grew up with, but, at the same time, telling an original, personal story. It's both the game I had always wanted to play as a kid and a present for my daughter to enjoy today – for her to have fun, and perhaps even learn something in the process. In the 2 years I’ve already spent on development, it would sometimes cross my mind that I should've just bought her some candy or a toy instead, but since I've gone so far it'd be rather silly to back out now. Encouraged by my cooperation with OhNoo, I want to finish what I started, in the scope that this game truly deserves.
OhNoo: TSIOQUE is the next stage of our in-house engine we had created for our previous games. Aside from controlling the protagonist, you can also control the camera. This small element adds dynamic to the classic adventure gameplay. We're also developing a dynamic music system, changing moods and themes to fit the player's actions. You can hear the sample of it in the demo. It's the blend of dynamic music and rich frame-by-frame animation that makes the game unique.
- A 100% hand-drawn adventure with a unique atmosphere and a vivid, individual style, by the award-winning animation filmmaker and self-proclaimed genius Alek Wasilewski.
- Story with a twist – a clever storyline that may surprise you.
- Humor? Check. Darkness? Check. Suspense? Check! What more could you ask for?
- LOTS of 2D animation – all characters and items are hand-animated, frame-by-frame, old-school-style.
- A living, breathing environment, full of hidden interactions. Did we mention the game would have lots of animation?
- Exceptional soundtrack by Edward Harrison (NEOTOKYO, LUCKY DAY FOREVER) and Elle Kharitou, dynamically illustrating the gameplay and adjusted to your every action.
- The protagonist – a little girl with a talent for bringing chaos and destruction wherever she goes. Those who dare stand in her way are in for a lot of trouble...
- Beautiful, hand-drawn backgrounds.
- Fully voiced dialogue tracks.
- Not just for children – a multi-layered tale, created with respect for both younger players and older, more demanding ones, which can be appreciated by everyone on their own level.
- You can "die" in this game! - It's an adventure game, so explore, solve puzzles... but beware. You will not always have the comfort of infinite time for solving a problem – sometimes you may need to think fast! Other times, you may want to think twice before choosing a course of action, as the wrong decision may cost you your freedom... or worse!
- Non-episodic storytelling – you will find no "Find out what happens next, pay more money!" cliffhangers here. We are not particularly fond of episodic gameplay, so here, you get the complete experience – the story told from start to finish, from the introduction to the grand finale.
- A changing, mysterious and dangerous world – even before the Wizard's attack, the castle held many secrets. Now, bound by a powerful spell, the castle has not only become home to demons and magical creatures, but also, itself, has been affected by the evil power... It bends and shapeshifts, forming layers upon layers of transformation and illusion... It is an essential part of the plot and – especially later in the game – is tightly integrated into the gameplay.
The primary source of inspiration was inarguably LIFE, which always writes the best stories. But of course we do not live in cultural vacuum. While developing Tsioque, we couldn’t help but be inspired by the things that amazed and captivated us in our childhood days spent in front of the pale glow of CRT monitors.
This surely included the clever, humorous storyline backed by striking, unique art style in DAY OF THE TENTACLE; the simple gameplay and serious approach to younger players in Ron Gilbert productions such as PAJAMA SAM; the beautiful, dark, dangerous world seen through a young boy’s eyes in HEART OF DARKNESS, ; the wonderfully animated epic fantasy and its gruesome punishments for player’s mistakes in DRAGONS LAIR, or INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS, an old Lucasarts classic with a perfect blend of adventure, humor and action, where carelessness could cost you dearly.
ALEK: I have extensive experience in running projects solo. Instead of knocking on hundreds of doors, spending my time trying to convince people my idea really is great, I often preferred to simply do it. I would then lock myself in seclusion and, forgetting about the world outside my workstation, spend months – sometimes years – chiseling practically every aspect of production, until it was done. I was prepared to make great sacrifices, because nearly all my projects were born out of passion – and this one was no different. Here, I also decided to do everything I could single-handedly... but after 2 years of almost constant work, a realization eventually passed through my thick stubborn skull into my brain. I am no longer the person I used to be. I've now become a loving husband and father. I have people in this world that I cared about and I have been hurting them with my total commitment to work – the work I was supposed to do for them. For my family, I finally had to admit to myself I couldn't do this on my own anymore. I need your help. We need your help.
OhNoo: We're a small team of 3 enthusiasts, creating games at near-zero budgets. We keep raising the bar for ourselves and our games, and this is the result. TSIOQUE is an amazing game, with great animations, dynamic music and fully dubbed characters. It's a great next step for us, but we cannot finish it without your help. Among other challenges, we need more animators to produce a large amount of frame-by-frame animation, and this requires more funding.
We are still determined to complete TSIOQUE, even if it means doing it only with our own hands, at minimal cost, with bare-minimum outside help.
However, with your support, we can invite more artists to the project and truly let it spread its wings. Everything would get done quicker, be prettier, more detailed – and, eventually, we could simply put everything we intended there, after achieving a certain stretch goal.
This would give a terrific boost to practically every aspect of the production, but especially ANIMATION – 2D frame-by-frame animation is a painstaking task, which just happens to be the visual highlight of this project. We are not even dreaming of reaching a budget allowing us to fairly compensate such work – that is why most (or almost all) animation is still going to be done by Alek – but animators invited to collaborate do deserve half-decent pay for their effort.
The funds gathered would also be used to support the following:
- SOUND DESIGN (music and sfx)
- VOICE ACTING
- Translations (if the appropriate stretch goal is reached)
- Porting to new platforms (if the appropriate stretch goal is reached)
Our initial and primary goal is to reach $35,000. If we are able to reach more, we'll be able to fulfill the folowing strech goals:
- 35,000 – BARE BONES – the game is made and we don't starve in the process. Hooray!
45,000 – MY HOMES ARE MY CASTLES – Android, Ouya and iOS versions + translations to Spanish, German, Russian, Italian, and French.
Originally, the game is being developed for PC in English and Polish. We would like to release the game on other platforms and in other languages as well.
- 55,000 – EPIC! – The soundtrack will be performed by a philharmonic orchestra.
You have listened to TSIOQUE's soundtrack and thought it was impressive? This may be just a taste of the real thing. Release the true potential of Edward Harrison's and Elle Kharitou's music and make a full orchestral soundtrack a reality!
- 70,000 – WIZARDRY – Additional mini-episode somewhere near the end of your journey. Become the Evil Wizard and discover the true motivations behind his evildoing.
- 85,000 – LEGENDS OF THE KINGDOM – Delve even deeper into the world of TSIOQUE and uncover ancient legends – stories about ancient heroes and beasts, providing a richer background of the Kingdom's history. These will be hidden in dusty libraries and secret chambers in the Castle.
- 99,999 – OOPS! – More animations for failures and wrong actions, all too common in adventure games. You think taking on a monster with a shoelace is a great idea? Try and see what happens!
The world of TSIOQUE is inhabited by creatures of all sorts – humans, animals, monsters, you name it. Do not let appearances deceive you: some seemingly nice people may not necessarily have the best intentions, and a terrifying-looking monster may not be all that evil. Fortunately, even in worst-case scenarios, Tsioque can always count on help from her friends, whom she will find in the least expected places.
TSIOQUE - Our protagonist, the princess. While still just a little girl, she's not the type of princess who waits for Prince Charming to come rescue her. She's a warrior princess - strong, extremely stubborn, used to taking matters in her own hands. Her will is made of iron but her heart's made of gold. Her relentless curiosity constantly leads her to trouble.
THE WIZARD – Our main villain, the evil sorcerer who – taking advantage from the QUEEN's absence – claimed rulership of the Kingdom and imprisoned princess TSIOQUE. Powerful, cunning and full of insatiable ambition, he considers the Kingdom just a stop on the way to total world domination. A (quite literally) dark character, with a constant frown on his face, the WIZARD is filled with inner anger so great that it emanates from the top of his head with a flame of evil magic.
THE GOOD QUEEN – Princess TSIOQUE's mother, gentle and kind, but just as strong as her daughter. In the beginning of the story, she leaves to a faraway land to battle an evil PHOENIX threatening the Kingdom.
IMPS – A small army of the WIZARD's magically created minions. With the WIZARD too busy plotting world domination, it is those creatures that stand between TSIOQUE and her freedom. They may seem bumbling and stupid, but they are not to be underestimated. The castle is crawling with them, and if they see you, you are doomed.
The game is being co-created by OhNoo Studio and Alek Wasilewski, who assembled a team of independent artists to help his vision come to life.
This is just us, a couple of guys, and people who wish to creatively support our continued work.
We are not a big company. We do not have sponsors, publishers, investors or shareholders. We do not even have an office. This campaign is not a marketing stunt, a “proof of concept” supposed to coax our superiors into handing us millions of dollars. We really want to fund this project through this campaign!
Call us naive, but we really count on your help.
You can watch Alek's latest film LUCKY DAY FOREVER below (warning: NSFW):
Having completed Amelia, we raised the bar and started working on a dark point-and-click adventure game – “Tormentum – Dark Sorrow”. We raised funds for its completion on the Indiegogo crowdfunding platform. The game was released in 2015, and is available on Steam.
Both of our games were well received. “Amelia and Terror of the Night” got 5 stars on iOS and Android, while Tormentum has a 72 rating on Metacritic, as well as very positive reviews from players. Unfortunately, critical acclaim is not always followed by commercial success, and this is why we still need your support. One of the reasons is that we do not have a marketing budget. We are just good at doing what we love, which is making games – the rest is happening on its own. We do whatever we can to promote our work, but what we have learned is that without money for advertising, you really need a lot of luck to succeed.
Working on TSIOQUE, we use our experience in creating games for both older and younger audiences. If you want to find out the result, put your trust in us.
All backgrounds in the game are made by one talented illustrator – Michał Urbanski.
Micahł Urbański – He is a translator by education and an illustrator by choice. Around 2013, he decided to pursue his lifelong passion and began a professional career in visual arts. Since then, he has cooperated closely with Alek Wasilewski and the OhNoo indie game studio as a background painter, and has done freelance work within projects by some of the major Polish studios, such as Platige Image or Juice.
Music is an essential element in any game, inseparably combined with the player's every move. Just as in movies, it can make – or break – the whole experience. TSIOQUE’s awesome dynamic soundtrack is created by 2 artists: Ed and Elle.
Edward Harrison: aka 0edit, is a composer, sound designer best known for the Neotokyo OST and for his previous collaboration with Alek on Lucky Day Forever. While he continues to develop his distinctive flavor of cyberpunk electronica on upcoming projects, he has relished the chance to return to orchestral composition. Tsioque is in many ways a dream project for him, as it was his childhood (and enduring) love for the classic LucasArts adventures of the '90s that inspired him to compose for games in the first place.
Elle Kharitou: Self confessed as utterly obsessed with music, sound and noise (and caffeine), Elle Kharitou, aka blissbox, is a classically trained composer and sound designer, specializing in complex, genre dissolving Electronic music. Her works have a unique and highly visual flavour which she is putting to use on a number of upcoming audio-visual projects. She is now drawing on her love of 20th century orchestral music to bring a rich and distinct quality to the world of Tsioque.
By helping us finish our game you will – of course – gain our infinite gratitude. But that is certainly not all!
Perks with physical rewards have shipping costs included, so you do not have to worry about extra costs being added.
Here are the backer rewards with brief descriptions. Do not hesitate, become a backer today! You know you want to!
The 2 perks below are inspired by the tradition of medieval sponsors, who – along with a piece of art – bought themselves immortality.
1) Knight $300 (limited: 30)
Your face will be found among the figures inhabiting a painting or fresco in-game. The final look may vary depending on the style of a given art piece, but it will unmistakably be you.
2) PATRON OF THE ARTS $2500 (limited: 5)
Your likeness will inhabit the foreground of a monumental painting or become the sole subject of a portrait. Set in an honorable spot in the game, your individual painting will be impossible to miss. Be depicted as a knight, magnate, princess, cleric, peasant – as long as such a person could have existed in medieval Europe, your imagination is the limit!
A limited, signed physical version of the painting on canvas will be sent to you by mail.
Risks and challenges
As with every undertaking, there is a chance of failure. The project is ambitious, the budget is very small, so maybe we are overreaching ourselves and we will not deliver on time.
Then again it is more likely that the project will be completed, and its ambitious character will be a challenge and a constant source of motivation for us. We did not start yesterday – we already have a lot of assets completed, a working demo and the script for the whole game. We make a good team that always finishes what it starts. It is a matter of honor rather than just ambition.
ALEK: I have over a decade of experience working on micro- and zero-budget projects, wearing almost every hat possible. I also created and coordinated commercial projects. Regardless of the scale of the campaign's success (or even lack thereof), I have complete confidence that I know what needs to be done in order to lead TSIOQUE to successful completion.
OHNOO: We know how to use every dollar we receive. As a 3-man studio, OhNoo has used crowdfunding to fund its previous game in 2014. The campaign was a success, the game was finished, and all rewards were delivered to the backers.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We chose a pretty hard technique to make games, where every minute of gameplay simply needs to be drawn. Have you seen budgets for animated feature films lately?
We are trying to create a game of the best quality possible – something unforgettable. Our motto remains "Quality over quantity" and "Short, but intense", but we will not allow for the game to be finished in one casual sitting. We strive to reach at least 3 hours of gameplay, with more possible when stretch goals are reached. So the real gameplay length is pretty much up to you!
To put it short – of course it is not enough. However:
1) We have already been working on TSIOQUE for 2 years, so we are not starting from scratch. We have been investing in this game for quite some time now.
2) The main creators of the game are not paid a salary for their work. Their share of the budget is either next to nothing or a big fat zero. This Kickstarter campaign's main purpose is for us to be able to pay collaborators invited to the project. Well, unless we gather millions, maybe then we will find something for us as well – but we are not thinking about it much. For now, we just want to make the best game possible.
To all thinking this is too much, no offence but Kickstarters organized by big companies may have given you a wrong idea as to how much making games really costs. We very recommend this article, giving more insight to the matter:
Our goal is not some little percentage of our available budget, or a marketing stunt.
As we write above - while we've already put 2 years worth of sweat, blood and money into our game, we really want to fund TSIOQUE through this campaign.
By not dismissing our goal as "too much", you help not only us but the whole indie game community.
Support this project
- (44 days)