Wasteland: A post-apocalyptic zombie survival strategy game!
Wasteland: A post-apocalyptic zombie survival strategy game!
Take this post apocalyptic survival strategy game for 2-4 players beyond the prototype with all new Art!
Take this post apocalyptic survival strategy game for 2-4 players beyond the prototype with all new Art! Read more
Now that we are well into the final stages of incorporating the feedback for the rules, it is time for us to shed the artistic skin of the prototype (bare bones that it was) and bring Wasteland to life anew!
We aim to have truly dark and gritty graphics and illustrations to enhance our vision of the art of Wasteland. To this end we are actively hunting for artists that best capture what is in our collective minds' eye.
The most important pieces on our wanted list are: Cover & box art, new card art, new unit art, new tile art, and various other pieces that fit into the entire art & graphic design puzzle (AND MORE ZOMBIES!). With your support we will be putting in as much art as possible; we want our franken-baby of a game to be well dressed.
- Update #1: Countdown to the Apocalypse - Day 2 of 46
- Update #2: Proper review link posted!
- Update #3: Video Sneak Peak!
- Update #4: KickStarter v2.0 and Expansions
- Update #5: "What if" scenario and Box Contents!
- Update #6: We're over the hill now!
- Update #7: Lucky Update #7
- Update #8: Reward Updates
Wasteland started as one of many zombie apocalypse survival plan conversations between Gary (The guy behind the editing), and Keith (the goof in the video and writing most of this). You know, the type where you debate the merits of taking over a Wal-Mart or your local mall, and how to handle the various types of possible zombies. It was during such a conversation that we had an epiphany; being avid gamers, we knew of no Zombie apocalypse games on the level of a strategic war game like some of our favorites (see below). And so it began...
After more than a year of design and testing we produced several alpha prototypes of Wasteland using what concept art we had on hand, some ideas, and a lot of elbow grease. The designers, along with several highly dedicated play testers (and very good friends) took these to GenCon 2011 to debut - where we received a Marketing Fellowship award from the great and wise people of GenCon.
We of OHMS chose this route because we felt it prudent to take the game in a form where there was still plenty of room for changes based on feedback from people, like you, who are not connected to us.
Luckily for us, Wasteland was far more positively received than we could have hoped (See the link a little further down for the first review). Some people even asked to buy some of our prototypes! Though we couldn't sell them then, we've made a limited number of upgraded prototypes available to Kickstarter backers.
We'd like to thank each and every one of you for checking out our page, and for helping bring us one step closer to designing games we hope other people enjoy as much as we enjoy making them!
Smoldering ruins are all that serve as a reminder of our once civilized world. Wary survivors nervously forage for meager food and scrap, constantly haunted by the shadow of death. Ravenous hordes of zombies march a desperate humanity toward extinction. Trust is but a memory, peace is no longer an option, and safety no longer exists...
Yet there is hope. A number of Visionaries are rising within the remaining human havens. These individuals have amassed followings to be reckoned with, engulfing the denizens of the waste in something far more than the daily struggle for survival.
What they have started, you must finish. With your leadership, humanity stands a chance to reclaim the Wasteland from the walking dead and revive civilization. Will your people unite with others against the zombie menace or crush and exploit their rivals?
2-4 players clash for the future of humanity in Wasteland, a post apocalyptic zombie survival strategy game. Take control as one of eight factions pitted against one another and hordes of ravenous zombies, struggling to survive and rebuild civilization in their image!
With the help of your people’s Visionaries your fledgling band explores the waste, battling the restless dead and scavenging for resources. Victory brings hope, expanding your territory and raising morale. Survivors flock to your banner, shaping the future of your society with new ideas and issues. Will your faction rise to lead the rest of humanity back from the brink of extinction, or will they die alongside it?
Wasteland is inspired by games like Fantasy Flight’s Twilight Imperium, Flying Frog Productions Last Night on Earth, Avalon Hill’s Axis and Allies, and other favorites of the OHMS Gaming team. We’re confident it will satisfy your cravings of crushing your enemies, slaying zombies around you, and hearing the lamentations of your friends!
Features of Wasteland:
- ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! ZOMBIES! Constant hordes forcing players into uneasy alliances at times!
- Eight Factions with varying capabilities, each with three unique Visionaries, giving you the ability to customize your faction to your play style and adding replay value!
- A modular, gradually revealed hex map for a new Wasteland every game.
- Scouting encounters and Site cards adding additional risk and reward to conquering areas.
- Resource management, simulating the scarcity of useful material and encouraging strategic thinking.
- Speed based combat system relying on the management of your resources.
Limited Edition Prototype
This one is will have literally as much
as we can throw in it... The list will be similar to the optimal
list (in Update #5) but will include some stuff cut from the game, stuff that
may in expansions, and other goodies! We will also be including
plenty of “extra” or “optional” rules for you to play with
that are not in any other version right now. To top it all off it
may include a blank play mat (like the other play mat but without
hexes already on it). We really want this to be an AMAZING reward!
(follow this link to Update #5 for more info about box contents)
You can be immortalized as a Visionary of one of these 4 factions. We may add more as the Kickstarter progresses:
- The A.E.G.I.S are a militaristic society living according to the last order given before the collapse of civilization: Advance...Exterminate... and Gradually Institute Stability.
- The Wendigo are a cannibalistic society of cunning predators. Stalking the wastes, they prey on the weak and unwary, fueled by the flesh and blood of their foes.
- The Memiti are a death cult. While the remainder of civilization cowers in fear from the mindless, rotting incarnations of death roaming the Wasteland, the Memiti embrace the presence of zombies for their own twisted purposes.
- The Shepherds are a people united by faith in a higher power, regardless of individual belief regarding its exact nature. They'll stop at nothing to cleanse and redeem the world, reinvesting it with the spark of the divine.
KICKSTARTER ONLY FACTIONS (Names may change)
- The Gamers are our vision of what a post apocalyptic society would evolve into if our children and grandchildren were to learn everything they know through all things nerdy! Imagine your favorite convention besieged by the living dead and surviving for years, and you've got a good idea.
- The Carnies are the descendants of nomadic circus folk who managed to escape the hordes of undead and the insanity of the post apocalyptic world.
- OHMS Website
- Meet the Team!
- OHMS Facebook (Be sure to Like us!)
- Wasteland on BoardGameGeek.com
- Hos Solo (The man behind the music)
- (46 days)