The experience of being human at this point in our history involves a LOT emotion. Sure, I could have made another science themed project for the Projects Of Earth campaign, but as much as I resist personally, there are a huge number of incredibly spiritual and emotional people on this planet. We can't just distill humanity down to numbers and facts if we want to show a real representation of our potential as a species.
My original goal was simply to make a design with radial balance that was created from the visual data of a single meaningful word. The words were supposed to capture the duality of emotion involved with being human at this point in history. The result just happened to look like or snowflakes or mandalas when I had finished... which is strangely appropriate with everyone feeling so much these days that literally everyone is being called a snowflake just for having a human experience.
I wanted the pins to be beautiful, simple, and powerful, pieces of wearable expression, which is why I chose to do them in 14K gold plate + high contrast black and white hard enamel.
Each pin in this collection of pin pairs is a radial design based on a word that represents a facet of humanity and the things I feel we are experiencing at a staggering rate these days: Love + Indifference, Malice + Compassion, Sensitivity + Numbness, and Fragility + Resilience.
Here's how you can see the word, in the pin. The word will not be highlighted like this, it's just to show you my process and how to see the messages(unless every one votes to change it, but just the love pin:
Each pin will be 1.25" Diameter, Hard Enamel + 14K Gold Plated + Locking Clip + a shared Backer Card.
The initial goal will cover the production cost and shipping for patches and the first pair to be released: "Love + Indifference".
Love and hate are not opposites, but love and indifference. Because, even if you hate something you have a strong emotion towards it, you think about it, you expend your energy over it, and both love and hate will completely drain you if given the power to. With indifference, you don't care in one direction or another. This is the opposite of love and the reason I paired these two together.
They'll come together on a clean elegant backer card + locking clips so you don't lose them.
Once we double the original Kickstarter goal to 700, the second set of pins will be unlocked. Two things we as a species are having a super hard time with right now:
The third stretch goal is 1050. I'm pretty sure we're all feeling both of these all the time at this point, surely it's not just me:
And once we reach 1300, Fragile + Resilient, because while humanity is fragile it is also resilient. We are pushed to the brink every single day, but somehow we rebound, often times stronger and more knowledgeable than before.
Once we make a stretch goal, you'll be able to choose your pairs from any of the unlocked sets.
If we reach 2000, each backer will also receive a 3.5" diameter iron-on patch with the full color Mandala print, I may also give stickers too, depending on how things go. Y'all let me know if you have interest, I'm happy to add rewards you want to see! I haven't planned for prints, but I am open to suggestions.
The full color Mandala patch combines the words: Love(in the center) Compassion, Fragile, Sensitive, and Resilient. I chose to use Pantone's "Far-Fetched" color pallet for 2018, because it's focus is on reflecting our increasingly connected culturally diverse world.
"Far-Fetched is a palette of colors that celebrates the creativity and originality of the commingling of different materials and design influences in a single space. Filled with multicultural references, the Far-Fetched palette reaches deeply into a treasure trove of color sources to produce warmth and light. Mystical and fanciful, divertingly different and unforeseeable, the intersection of these colorful cultural mixes speaks to the very essence of design." -Pantone
Risks and challenges
Well, this is the part where I tell you everything that could go wrong, but that hopefully won't. So, here's a nice list:
1. The BIGGEST challenge I have is getting the word out about the project. I'm a bit of an introvert and I'm super shy about asking for help (money/exposure, lol) so getting the word out about the project really isn't easy for me, but that's where y'all come in! If each of you shares it just one or two times, you'll have way more impact on getting these produced that if I annoy my same 450 FB friends 5x a day for five weeks.
2. I have a great relationship with my pin manufacturer and the quality has always been incredible, so I'm not anticipating any issues there, and if you do have an issue with your pin or if I make a mistake with your reward, I'm happy to replace/exchange it for you.
3. SOMETIMES (like the last time) there are issues with both FedEx and USPS (mostly USPS) and pins might show up late because they were shipped to the wrong house down the street five days ago and the woman might not give us the box until authorities are called... so ya never know, but things like that could make me a touch late on delivery. OR if there's a manufacturing issue, BUT:
4. I'll always be transparent with y'all about everything that's going on, so if you wan't to know something about the project, just ask! I never get to speak to grown-ups, so I'm usually super excited when you all email me :D
5. I split my time between 2 countries (check out my Instagram for details (@holly_with_a_why) if you're curious about that particular version of insanity) BUT I finally found a friend to help me when I'm not there in the US. SO, there will be no more waiting on your pins due to my traveling. I will still be personally processing every single order once the project closes, but if something happens and your package gets returned to me while I'm not there, I now have someone who can immediately reship for you.
I think that's about it. Again, if something does come up that gets in the way of on-time delivery, you'll be the first to know.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)