Laruna is a dream world corrupted by stolen power. You have been blessed with the Legacy of ancient heroes and imbued with god-magic. You must defend yourself and the land from the fearsome Kreesh, creatures whose Legacy has twisted them into dark monsters with only one goal: your destruction. As a Legacy Bearer, you are the only thing strong enough to stop the Kreesh. But why stop there? With your power, you can defeat armies and rule kingdoms. Will you rule or serve? Will you protect the people or use them as fodder? Will you work with other Legacy Bearers to save Laruna, or defeat them to increase your own power? The choice is yours. What will your legacy be?
Dreamscape:Laruna is the second tabletop RPG book by ODAM Publishing. It can be used as an independent product or as a supplement to ODAM Publishing’s first RPG, Of Dreams And Magic. Dreamscape:Laruna is a game where the players are granted amazing power, and must choose how to use it. As a full color, 300+ page book, it will be available in both hardcover and digital PDF format.
Set in a fantasy world named Laruna, players assume the role of Legacy Bearers - people who have inherited the magic of the gods. Dreamscape:Laruna will focus on telling stories about special people who have been born with extraordinary powers and how they handle living in a world that is plagued by this power’s presence. They will find corrupted lands, face creatures filled with god-magic, and see how their power thrusts them into the political landscape of their world. Characters will be given dramatic, world affecting abilities and playgroups can craft campaigns showcasing all the things that come with this power; social implications, kingdom wide conflict, monster hunts both big and small, as well as struggling with the machinations of their fellow Legacy bearing kin.
In Laruna, you play as one of the 5 mortal races capable of becoming a Legacy Bearer. Each mortal race in Laruna differs in the way they interact with the world, from how their societies are structured, to the way they eat to survive. Along with unique racial traits, much of your experience in Laruna will change based on the race you choose to play.
Created by the Elder God with the holy mission of ending a great war, the Descendants chose to sacrifice their godly power to remain among the mortals of the land they had come to love.
The second race created by the Elder God, Humans were created without the capacity for god-magic. Humans were instead given free will and unlimited potential. The Young Gods now use the fealty of Humans to measure who amongst them is the greatest.
During the Whisper War of the Third Age, a group of Descendants and their half-breed children retreated underground to escape the battlefront. There, they met an entity promising them power directly from the Dark God Arliman. This power twisted those Descendants into the vampiric Mesmulot race.
Created by the ancient Titans out of Laruna’s natural resources, the Ashik are now protectors of the very land itself. Originally created as instruments of war, Ashik must now dedicate themselves to a singular Vow, validating the sacrifice Laruna must make to allow their continued existence.
The Garaith’s first act of rebellion against their dragon masters was to accept the Descendant’s offer of peace to ensure the continued existence of both the Dragon and Garaith races. Not all of the dragons were pleased with this decision, and instead started a new war - dragon versus Garaith. The Garaith found themselves on the winning side of this war, earning themselves the right to be free people and seen as equals with the other Races.
After suffering a catastrophe at the hands of a maniacal wizard, Laruna had its magic stolen and used to create a manifestation of god-power. This divine magic was quickly taken and restored to the world. Ever since, mortals of the five races have been born bearing the marks of this “Legacy” and they have been using the power it grants them to change the world. This Legacy has many types of manifestations, known as Archetypes, which provide the players with their character type.
The Calling Legacy: Issuing a command to the universe and having it obeyed is a special gift. Those with such power have inherited the ability to summon creatures, warp minds, or sway nature to their will.
- Summoner: Calling forth forces from other worlds, the summoner commands powerful creatures in battle and gains significant personal benefits from their presence as well.
- Mirage: A deception specialist that uses illusions to confuse and ravage the minds of their opponents.
- Earthwarden: Masters of nature, the Earthwarden uses healing, summons, and other magics to lord over a domain making any terrain hospitable and advantageous.
The Change Legacy: In many ways, the ability to change, be it one's self, others, or the laws of their world, is the quintessential purpose of magic. Those who master the Change can shape-shift, influence the tides of battle, or bend time and space.
- Shifter: Making superb use of bodily transformations, Shifters are monk-like warriors who possess no need for conventional weaponry, instead changing their body into the weapons possessed by many of Laruna’s creatures.
- Megalindir: Combat masters, the Megalindir weave magic into the motions of their bodies and weapons to affect the tides of battle. Equally capable of offensive and defensive measures, the Megalindir use their many different songs and dances to enhance both their combat skills and the skills of their allies.
- Gatekeeper: Gatekeepers manipulate time and space to create chaos for their enemies and act outside of the normal flow of time.
The Elements Legacy: Mastery over the elements of the world allows someone to use their properties to create splendid effects. Raining fire from the skies, imbuing weapons with eldritch power or riding a bolt of lightning are all within their reach.
- Stormborn: Empowering their weapons with lightning, Stormborn are devastating warriors capable of striking multiple opponents with electricity, and traversing battlefields quickly for tactical superiority.
- Sorcerer: Masters of magical destruction, Sorcerers enjoy prowess and versatility with spells unrivaled by other archetypes.
- Sora'somin: By infusing their versatile Remokin with elemental magic, Sora’somin blend magic with martial prowess. At long ranges, they wield their Remokin as a bow, firing arrows imbued with varied elemental attacks. When the need for close quarter combat arises, they effortlessly shift the Remokin into a glaive form.
The Light Legacy: Being born of the Light means having the power to heal the wounded, protect the weak, or pull upon the strings of the cosmos.
- Lightbringer: Uses the power of the Light to stand valiantly against the darkness. Lightbringer powers hone light magic in a number of ways to provide healing for the wounded, protection for the weak, and justice for the wicked.
- Sentinel: A defensive specialist, the Sentinel uses protection powers complemented by arcane attacks to become an unyielding and enduring fixture in any conflict.
- Starcaller: A versatile archetype that changes the fabric of fate by manipulating and drawing upon the stars in the sky.
The Dark Legacy: Necromantic powers and command of the shadows are the hallmarks of the Dark legacy. Mastery over undeath, commanding souls or giving life to shadows all demonstrate this profane gift.
- Death Lord: Dark warriors who wield corruption and disease on the battlefield, suffusing their strength with necromantic arts.
- Soulbender: Bending dark magic to varied tasks, the Soulbender is a dangerous foe who is equally comfortable on the battlefield or solving mysteries. By capturing souls and keeping them captive, they learn to force them into many purposes from crafting weapons to divulging secrets.
- Shadowmancer: With mastery over shadows, the Shadowmancer is an expert assassin, capable of quick and precise strikes. Enhanced by their ability to terrify, confuse and escape their enemies, many victims find themselves dead or dying before they know what hit them.
Unfortunately, the process of restoring divine magic to Laruna caused not only mortals to be born with Legacy but other creatures as well. Unlike the five mortal races used for player characters, other creatures are unable to safely harbor Legacy, and instead become corrupted and changed by it. Called Kreesh, these monsters are saturated with god-power and serve as a varied and persistent menace to Legacy Bearers.
Dreamscape:Laruna uses ODAM’s Over/Under die system. The Over/Under system combines simple die rolling with a point-based system that allows players a high level of control over the results of their rolls. The core mechanics of the Over/Under system are available in our free rules primer, which can be found on our website here: https://odampublishing.com/pages/downloads
In short, when a character's ability to do something is tested, the player rolls 2 ten-sided dice, one negative and one positive. That roll is then added to the character's Ability Score, and that end result in compared to a difficulty.
When exceeding the difficulty, the difference between the difficulty and the player's end result is converted to a currency called CAP. CAP is then spent to further adjust the success of the character's actions. For example, a player could spend 5 CAP to make a fireball fly a little further, or 10 CAP to make it explode and do more damage.
No matter what a character is doing - casting spells, swinging a sword, or composing a love letter, CAP allows a player to refine their results in a manner beyond simply checking if they passed or failed.
While Legacy Bearers have skills and spells that they learn through experience, their Legacy's power only increases by absorbing the Legacy of others. Each time an enemy with Legacy or Corruption is defeated, your character absorbs that Legacy back into themselves, allowing them to travel along the Legacy Arc.
Every character archetype has its own unique Legacy Arc that contains 5 nodes. Whenever a character absorbs enough Legacy to rank up, the player simply chooses from the options made available to him at the next node. When the player reaches the end of their Arc, they simply start again, keeping all of the bonuses they earned their first time through. This means every time you raise your Legacy Rank, you are choosing exactly how you're improving. Do you need some bonus Strength? What about learning a new Technique? Each trip around the Arc has you make a different choice, allowing you to customize your character each step of the way. And no referencing long tables or charts - you'll always know what node is next, and what rewards are awaiting you after you take down that next Kreesh!
While Dreamscape:Laruna can be played on its own as a stand alone game, it truly shines when combined with our first title, Of Dreams And Magic. When used alongside Of Dreams And Magic, Laruna functions as a Dreamscape - a persistent dream the characters of ODAM may travel to.
Dreamscape:Laruna includes information on how to incorporate the world of Laruna into your Waking World campaign. It will demonstrate how going into and out of Laruna will affect ODAM characters. Of course, it includes plenty of new Remnants, Magical Abilities, and Artifacts that can be taken by players from Laruna, and brought back into the Waking World.
Want to learn more about Of Dreams And Magic? Visit our website here. We've also included a copy of ODAM in some of our backer levels, so if you missed it the first time around, now's your chance to get the total package!
What We Have: The writing for Dreamscape:Laruna's draft is 100% complete. Intense play-testing will continue during this campaign up until final printing.
What We Need: The funds this Kickstarter campaign raises will allow us to continue to create more artwork, complete the layout and design, and print Dreamscape:Laruna as a beautiful hardcover book. We are also completing work on a separate bestiary containing 75 more creatures, monsters, and Kreesh. This Bestiary will be made available as a digital download for FREE for all backers.
Since we are so far along in the project and already have a relationship with a local printer who has performed superbly for us in the past, we will be able to deliver the printed copies of Dreamscape:Laruna in August of 2016, with the Bestiary PDF to follow soon after.
Get even more access to the development of Dreamscape: Laruna! Shortly after the conclusion of the Kickstarter, you will receive a copy of our Playtester Kit and Playtester Updates, granting you early access to new Dreamscape: Laruna material. You'll have your name listed in the book's credits, and help make it the best product it can be. As an additional bonus, you will also receive a free PDF of the first Dreamscape: Laruna adventure module released. Simply add $10 to your pledge to become an ODAM Insider!
STRETCH GOAL REACHED! New Legacy Archetypes Digital Supplement: A fully illustrated downloadable PDF that includes 5 new Archetypes, one for each Legacy!
STRETCH GOAL REACHED! $17,000: Legacy Tales An illustrated collection of short stories, this digital PDF will help give life to the land of Laruna by taking a closer look at select Legacy Bearers and their interactions with Laruna's conflicts and every day life.
$21,000: Expanded Bestiary Make Laruna more dangerous with an expanded bestiary! At this stretch goal we will be able to produce more artwork and include more monsters, more Kreesh, and more Dreamweaving material on how to integrate them into your campaigns.
$25,000: Hardcover Bestiary The most asked about stretch goal, at $25,000 we will be able to provide a beautifully printed hardcover bestiary that will be shipped FREE to all backers who have pledged to receive physical rewards. If we reach this goal, the printed bestiary will be ready to ship by December 2016, but will not delay the release of the digital PDF version.
Risks and challenges
The largest risk rests with timely delivery, as shipping is subject to unavoidable delays. All necessary precautions are in place to ensure the book is produced at exceptional standards but any part of the process, such as receiving final art assets or editing can be subject to delays as well. We've arranged for redundancy where possible to minimize these risks.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)