Adding a GPS chip is not enough. We would also need to add a cellular chip (GSM/3G or 4G) to broadcast the GPS coordinates. It brings 5 major concerns:
- 1) the watch will emit a lot of radio-frequencies (basically like a cell phone),
- 2) you would need an additional SIM card from your carrier (additional cost),
- 3) we would need to add a lot of additional testing and certifications that would postpone the shipping date,
- 4) the watch would be bigger and would not be confortable for the younger ones,
- 5) the system would be more complex to use, and we strongly believe that what makes it very appealing is its simplicity of use, both for the kids and the parents.
However, we think that having a “virtual leach” system, based on the bluetooth makes a lot of sense. The way it could work is as soon as the child is about to be out of range, the parents would receive an alert on their smartphone. It won’t geolocate the kid, but will prevent him or her to be lost.
We are working on this feature. If we can’t build it before the shipping, rest assure that it will come as a free software update later on.