Congratulations, Evil Overlords! You’ve done an admirable job spreading misery to all corners of Planet Fred. The population trembles at your cruel domination and heroes flee the sound of your soul-crushing boots. Or your great, stomping claws. Or your adorable little white paws.
But there’s one thing we know is true:
Misery Loves Company.
The desperate wails of Planet Fred’s people have not gone unheard.
From deep in the bowels of a moderately active volcano, a Dragon has awakened to the suffering of the people. Huff, the Tragic Dragon, peers out through the intermittent smoke...
Greetings Overlords! Due to popular demand, I am excited to tell you that we are printing a 2nd Edition of Overlords of Infamy! What's even more exciting than that? We're coupling it with a printing of our jam-packed new expansion pack, Misery Loves Company!
Overlords of Infamy: Misery Loves Company is a filled-to-bursting expansion pack to the base game, Overlords of Infamy, adding in five new playable Overlords, a host of new Nefarious Plots, World Events, and Hero's Quests to keep your games fresh and unpredictable.
On top of all that, players will now have the chance to take on the role of Huff, The Tragic Dragon and be a force of chaos, wreaking havoc all over Planet Fred! That's right, Misery Loves Company allows for up to 6 players to get into the action!
As seen on Geek & Sundry, the base game, Overlords of Infamy, is an original take on quest completion, borrowing elements from Lords of Waterdeep and Settlers of Catan, while maintaining it's own unique style. Set on Planet Fred, you'll hop into the skin of an Evil Overlord vying to reign supreme after a campaign of sowing misery throughout the land. We're now printing the 2nd edition, applying suggestions and improvements on the first edition of the game!
Overlords of Infamy combines some of our favorite mechanics, including: Worker Placement, Resource Management, Area Control, Tile Laying and Quest Completion.
After Exploiting the Land to place new map tiles around their Lairs, Overlords will send their an army of Lackeys to collect resources that will be used to complete their Nefarious Plots and repel the Adventuring Hero. You'll also have to contend with other Overlords committing Acts of Espionage against you, all while randomized World Events shake up the scene in unpredictable ways! If you'd like to see how to play, the wonderful Becca Scott shows you how here!
Overlords of Infamy allows 1-5 players (solo mode is a lot of fun!) ages 8+ to throw-down in a free-for-all, with the fifth player getting to play as the Adventuring Hero, messing with the Overlords with their own asymmetrical move set and win conditions! We have over 25 Hero's Quests with unique aftermaths to really shake up the game. The best part is that these quests can be used even if there isn't a human-player as the Hero! In the solo mode of the game, you'll get to play directly against the Adventuring hero in a race to complete your Nefarious Plots!
There are 11 different Evil Overlords that come ready to play with their own play mats (with backstories on the reverse side) and Lair tiles. They all have unique abilities that give them an edge in certain areas of the game.
Because of supporters like yourself, as well as new friends that we met at conventions all over the country, we've managed to sell out of our initial print run! Couple that with the development of the Misery Loves Company expansion pack, and we have a great opportunity to fund a reprint Overlords of Infamy and make it more widely available!
"So, what is different this time around?", I hear you ask. Here's what you can expect from this edition of Overlords of Infamy:
- We have redesigned our rule book from the ground up. We've heard the comments and criticisms about our first rule book loud and clear, and we've done something about it. We've given the rule book to talented rules editors who have made it much clearer, much easier read and simpler to get started. Things that were omitted or oddly placed have been added and fixed where applicable. We definitely learned our lesson! You can check out the text-only rule book here while we put the finishing touches on the full-graphic rule book.
- All 11 original Overlords are included from the get-go. The Dead & Breakfast add-on pack is included in the box!
- We are working with our manufacturer to design an insert for the box that allows it to hold the entirety of the base game and the expansion pack!
- We've gone through every card and component with a fine tooth comb to make sure they're all up to par with our high standards. Despite our best efforts, some of the cards in first edition made it through quality check with grammatical or spelling errors, or just were not as clear as they could have been. We'll strive to make sure that does not happen again.
- Updated wooden tokens: One of our stretch goals on the first campaign was to add wooden tokens to this game. We smashed that goal and were ecstatic to add painted wooden tokens to every copy of Overlords. However, the tokens ended up not matching the iconography on the board as closely as they should have. We, again, learned our lesson here. This edition of Overlords of Infamy will come with wooden tokens that match the iconography almost perfectly! In fact, here they are!
If you already have a copy of Overlords of Infamy, don't worry! The new tokens, insert, and updated rule book and cards are now available to you as part of the Dragon's Hoard backer level!
If you don't already have the base copy of the game, now is your chance to remedy that!
I am glad you asked! Misery Loves Company expands on the base game by providing five new Overlords (introduced below) and adding in Huff, the Tragic Dragon, who can be used either as a semi-AI piece, like the Adventuring Hero, or as a playable character! This unlocks the possibility for up to 6 players at once, but don't worry, Huff can be used at lower player counts as well!
In the 6-player game, the Adventuring Hero becomes a Wandering Vagabond, having to forge an Uneasy Truce with one Overlord at a time. While under the Uneasy Truce, the Adventuring Hero shacks up in that Overlords' Lair, but they are unable to harm their Lackeys or Liberate their Map Tiles.
However, the Uneasy Truce can be broken in various ways! If the Overlord completes a plot, or uses the Break a Truce action, the Hero will promptly vacate the premises and ally with another Overlord!
And let's not forget about Huff, the Tragic Dragon! She'll be flying around the board squishing your Lackeys and Razing your Map Tiles to complete her Draconic Imperatives! If she completes a certain amount before the end of the game, she wins! If the Hero completes their special Quests and then Slays the Dragon, the Hero wins!
The Overlords must balance these two forces of nature while still completing their own plots and earning the most Misery Points! The six-player version of the game adds in a ton of strategy and meaningful choices while trying to avoid chaos.
We've also added in new variant rules and components that you can mix and match to always keep the game fresh and exciting.
That's not all though! Inside Misery Loves Company you'll find:
Timed Goal Unlocked!
All wooden tokens will now be double-sided!
All Hero Personas Unlocked!
The last 4 Hero Personas have been unlocked! Now you can play as the Rogue, Defender, Druid and Minstrel!
They of course come with matching wooden Meeples!
We are ecstatic to announce that we will be making the updated wooden token packs available to anyone who bought the base game and would like the new tokens. They will be available in the pledge manager for an extremely reasonable and inexpensive price.
Due to their incredible popularity at conventions we would like to do another run of our sold-out enamel pins! However, this time we would like to do a pin for all 16 Overlords and Huff, the Tragic Dragon! If we are able to fund this project well, we will be able to meet this goal!
To fund this print run, we are offering the above four pins (Waffles, Frau Lumberwulf, The Dead Pirate Robhearts, and Tyrano deBergerac) pins at the following discounted prices:
- $8 per single pin
- $30 for any 4 pins in any combination
Additional pins will be available in the pledge manager based on how well we fund!
If you are interested in getting any of these awesome pins, just add the appropriate amounts from above to your pledge total. When we send out the pledge manager, you'll be able to select which pins you would like!
We'll be sending the pins separately from the games and they'll also arrive before the game does.
- Supporting this project now means that you are helping a small, independent company fulfill their dreams and continue making quality content. We have a lot of silliness floating around in our heads and we'd love to bring that to you by making more games! We have gone as far as we can on our own, and now we need the help of the community to make this a reality!
- If we reach our funding goal within the first week (by February 5th) all wooden tokens will be painted on both sides.
- Inclusion is incredibly important to us. Backing Overlords of Infamy will provide you with a game that gives representation to everyone, provides an even number of male and female characters, and, in the case of our specially designed Lackey Meeples, is colorblind friendly!
- We've gotten a lot of fantastic people from in and around the gaming scene to provide cards to the game including: The Library Bards, Ivan Van Norman, B Dave Walters, Patrick Leder, Jon Gilmour, JR Honeycutt, James Hudson, and so many more amazing people!
- It was really hard to convince him this time, but if you pledge now, Marcus has promised to not devour any kittens or puppies!
There have been several great How-To-Play videos over the last few years. Here is one from Becca Scott and the amazing people at Geek & Sundry!
And on top of that, they did a full, absolutely hilarious, episode of Game-The-Game! I will never hear anyone but Ivan Van Norman when picturing Waffle's voice!
...or was that commendations? Either way, Overlords of Infamy has gotten a lot of press over the last few years. We'll share some of that with you!
We're once again teaming up with Blackbox (from the awesome Cards Against Humanity team) for fulfillment of Overlords of Infamy. We've had a terrific experience with them thus far and expect that to continue! We benefit from their expertise gained from years of fulfilling CAH orders and trust they'll provide a smooth delivery to your doorstep.
We'll also be getting a killer deal on shipping, which are savings that we are passing on to you! We're excited that we will now be able to offer shipping to most of the planet! If you live internationally and want to back us, you now can! We will cover the VAT tax and be able to ship from the US and the UK to pass on the savings to you. We are offering a bit of a discount to shipping as well.
If you don't see your country as one you can ship to, please let us know and we will see what we can do!
You might be wary about backing a game from some indie company only working on their second game. We understand! To help you maintain peace of mind, know that your pledge to Overlords of Infamy comes with a full money-back guarantee at any point from the time the campaign ends up to 2 weeks after it's arrived at your doorstep!
Are you a retailer that wants to get in on the action? We love FLGS and we'd be happy to work with you! You'll be just like all of our other awesome backers and receive all stretch goals and promotional items unlocked during this campaign and you'll receive your items at the same time other backers do. Please send a private message through Kickstarter, or an e-mail to email@example.com to discuss retailer pledges!
Are you TEAM WAFFLES or TEAM PANCAKES?Show your team pride with these avatars!
More avatars coming soon!
Want to follow us on Social media? Click the buttons below!
Risks and challenges
• Overlords of Infamy is, at this point, a well-oiled machine. However, we consider everything we make to be a constant work in progress. With the addition of Misery Loves Company, we are constantly balancing and adjusting elements of the game to account for myriad rules interactions. We consider it to be about 95% done, but we still listen to the input of the community and make changes and additions where we can. These adjustments can be to the artwork, mechanics, theme, or any other component; we take your suggestions seriously. Please bring up any comments and constructive criticisms to us, and we give you our word that we will consider them seriously!
• We're onto our second game now with Misery Loves Company, and we learned a lot from our first experience. We have planned and prepared for the behind the scenes bumps that caught us off-guard with the original game, and will do everything we can to ensure your game gets to you as smoothly as possible. Our estimated shipping date is in August, and, provided we meet our goal, think it’s entirely reasonable that you will receive your games by that time. However, we plan on getting the game out to our backers even sooner if we possibly can. Our biggest desire is to release the game promptly, but still maintain the quality and experience that you’d would expect of a much larger publisher.
• Our funding goal isn’t a small amount. In fact, it’s exactly the amount we raised during our first campaign! Since beginning this company, we all have dedicated a lot of time and resources to the development of Overlords of Infamy and it’s expansion. We love our game, and know that you will too! We want to share our creative vision in a tangible way with the gaming community, so we've set our funding goal at the absolute lowest we feasibly can, in order to reprint the base game and the expansion along with it. We strive to earn enough to provide the highest quality components to improve on an already awesome game.
• As with every campaign Obscure Reference Games will ever launch, Overlords of Infamy and Misery Loves Company both come with a full money-back guarantee at any point from the time the campaign ends up to 2 weeks after it's arrived at your doorstep!
• Though we have tried to provide a print-and-play in the past, we have found it to be infeasible. Unfortunately, a print-and-play version of Overlords of Infamy and the expansion would require a tremendous amount of paper and ink. Because most of our backers would be unlikely to take advantage of this, we are currently working on getting the game into Tabletop Simulator so that you can check it out before backing!
• Communication is incredibly important to us. You'll be kept in the loop through the entire manufacturing process up until the moment Overlords of Infamy arrives at your home. We’ll probably check up on you afterward, as well!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (24 days)