Now That She's Gone is a comic human rights love letter to a mother whose only common ground with her daughter was Eleanor Roosevelt.
The Project: To take "Now That She's Gone" to the Edinburgh, Scotland, Fringe Festival in August of 2011 for its European premiere!
I wrote my show, "Now That She's Gone" to both entertain, heal families and help spread the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) through theater.
An already popular show in the U.S., NTSG garners standing ovations whether it's been for audiences in New York City, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, Minneapolis or Bismarck, North Dakota.
“Now That She’s Gone” is a solo show that has something for everyone even people who HATE solo shows.
Contrast a liberated Viking throw-back daughter, exploring everything on the horizon, with a stoic Norwegian-American mother who sounds like she just got off the boat, and you get a flavor of the NTSG smorgasbord. Full of humor and poignancy, as well as human rights and history, NTSG is universal in its appeal and reaches across age, gender, race, religion, political affiliation and sexual orientation to bring something identifiable to all who see it: how we relate to the most important relationship in our lives… our parents.
This is what others have said about NTSG:
- Gloria Steinem, feminist, journalist, political and social activist says, “Ellen has a gift for being serious and funny, making you laugh and understand at the same time… a modern day Stendhal.”
- Riane Eisler, author of “The Chalice and the Blade” says,“Ellen’s play is a must see. Her performance is stupendous! The play is funny, moving…like real life; itcomes from the heart.”
- Nora Dunn, “Saturday Night Live” Alum says, “Ms. Snortland delivers a poignant and completely original insight into the mother/daughter relationship that is deeply moving, andoften profound."
- Ken Gruberman, 6 time Grammy winner says, “I liked Ellen’s play so much I married her!”
Nominated for a 2008 Pulitzer Prize in Drama, “Now That She’s Gone” was first produced by EMP Theatricals, LLC, at the 2008 NY International Fringe Festival.
HOW TO MAKE A PLEDGE FOR “NOW THAT SHE’S GONE to Edinburgh!” USING KICKSTARTER.COM
The following are detailed instructions on how to pledge your support (and hopefully your money on April 25th!) for Ellen’s show going to Scotland. The instructions may sound complicated, but the whole process — if you already have an Amazon account — takes less than a minute! Ready? Set? GO!
1. Go to http://www.kickstarter.com
2. Click once in the search field at the top of the page and type the word “Snortland” (without the quotes) into the search field. The search field is just to the right of the words “Discover” and “Start,” and has a small “magnifying glass” on the left side, and a small “x” on the right side.
As soon as you’ve typed the word “snortland” the words “Now That She’s Gone” will appear underneath the search field. Click on the red words “NOW THAT SHE’S GONE”
3. On the next page, click the large, green “BACK THIS PROJECT” button.
4. Click in the “Enter your pledge amount” box and type in your pledge amount. You may also select a reward if desired. (You may also select “no reward.”) Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the big, green CONTINUE TO NEXT STEP button.
5. Now it’s time to login. If you have a Facebook account, simply click the “SIGN IN WITH FACEBOOK” button; it’s the easiest option. If you are already a kickstarter.com member, enter your email and password on the left side, where it says “log in.” If you are not a Kickstarter member, nor have a Facebook account, fill out the fields in the middle of the page: “New to Kickstarter?” All you need to enter is your name, an email address and a password. This is a free service, and the site will NOT send you unwanted email or sell your info to other parties.
6. Time for payment info! If you have an Amazon account, click the big, green CONTINUE TO AMAZON. If you don’t have an Amazon account, click the button anyway and select “I am a new customer” on the next page. An Amazon account will be created for you. Don’t panic! This does not obligate you to anything regarding Amazon or any other site; it’s simply a way to quickly process payments using Amazon’s excellent, time-tested “money collecting machine.”
One way or the other, you’ll get Amazon’s standard “email address and password” page; enter them and click the SIGN IN USING OUR SECURE SERVER button. You’ll then be on the Kickstarter Payment Authorization page. As you’d expect, you will see the payment method, billing address info and details. Once you’ve confirmed that everything is as it should be, click the CONFIRM button at the bottom right of the page.
7. On the next page you’ll see a CONGRATULATIONS message — you’ve done it! If you’ve got the time and the gumption, feel free to spread the word by sharing this project with friends. The easiest way is to click the small “f” to share this on Facebook.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
Handwritten thank you post card from the playwright
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
$10-$25 downloadable audio version of “Now That She’s Gone.” Laugh with Ellen in your car or office
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
Admission to live performance of Now That She's Gone at the Norwegian Seamen's Church in San Pedro, CA, on Sunday, April 10, 3:00 p.m. 1035 S. Beacon St. San Pedro, CA 90731 For more info, email Ellen at: Ellensnortland@mac.com
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
10 backers All gone!
Admission for one to a performance of Now That She's Gone in a TBA location in either the SFV or SGV sometime in the month of May, 2011.
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
Admission for one to Now That She's Gone Lounge Theatre 6201 Santa Monica Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90038 Friday, May 6, 8 p.m. Saturday, May 7, 8 p.m. Sunday, May 8, 3 p.m.
Pledge $26 or moreYou selected
$26-$50 – the above, plus a downloadable audio version of “Beauty Bites Beast: Awakening the Warrior Within Women and Girls,” in English or Spanish.
Pledge $51 or moreYou selected
$51-$100 – the above, plus an exclusive downloadable audio version of the “Best of Beauty Biting Beast,” a collection of Ellen Snortland’s most irreverent and funny columns and blogs.
Pledge $101 or moreYou selected
$101-$200 – all of the above, plus a custom made and shipped (within the US,) Kransekake, from Ellen’s Mother’s recipe.
Pledge $201 or moreYou selected
$201-$500 -- all of the above, plus for Southern California residents, a beautiful dinner at Ellen's home in Altadena, CA. If not in So. Cal., we can determine how I might cook for you or give the dinner to someone you know in So. Cal.
Pledge $501 or moreYou selected
$501- $1000 -- All of the above, plus tickets to the Edinburgh, Scotland show, for 4
Pledge $1,001 or moreYou selected
$1001-$2500 -- All of the above, plus 20 hours of SKYPE coaching for a writing project of your choice.
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
Above that? Speak to me and we'll create a surprise reward that will delight and empower you!
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
Do you work for a corporation or firm that provides education for the employees and management? Consider approaching HR and pledging my fee for self-defense and/or writing workshops. Does your place of work need someone to help brush up writing skills? Does your company have issues with employees being concerned about their personal safety when they work late and/or travel? I craft custom classes/hands-on workshops that are fun, enlightening and make a long-lasting difference! I can design 2-5 hour courses or 5-2 hour courses. I can also design whatever time "chunks" work best for the culture of the company or firm. Maybe your firm would respond best to 10-1 hour "lunch & learn" classes. That's a possibility too!
Pledge $10,000 or moreYou selected
DISNEY doesn't have to be the only company whose brand name is on entertainment! Now That She's Gone heals families all over the world; your company can help. (Your Company Name Here, YCNH) is proud to sponsor “Now That She’s Gone” to Edinburgh. This category is for an enterprise that sponsors a large “chunk” of our tour. Included in this reward: YCNH on all of our printed and promotional materials for the festival in Edinburgh; YCNH in all of Ellen’s media interviews for the festival; YCNH in Ellen’s columns and Huffington Post, Ms. Magazine blog by-lines for a year; YCNH on Ellen’s web site for a year; And drum roll please, Ellen will speak to your promotional department to create and include YCNH on stage as a “product placement.” Here’s an already existing example: Ellen used Public Storage moving boxes to sort her mother’s effects on stage. More than once, people asked if Public Storage was a sponsor since they couldn’t help but notice the Public Storage logos on the boxes. Does that suit your company? Established in 1946, the Edinburgh Fringe Festival is attended by hundreds of thousands of avid theater goers. Your product or company would have exposure to thousands of English speakers from throughout the world. “Now That She’s Gone” has a fiscal sponsor, Fifty-Fifty Leadership, which is a 501 c 3 so that your company could make this pledge count as a tax-deductible donation.
- (60 days)