After the success of the OCS-2 and MMO-3 : 2 semi modular synthesiser, I wanted to share my vision of synths design with the eurorack community. My aim is to solve two problems of the eurorack world: the price and the size of a system. The nozori concept is born : this platform allow to easily switch from one module to another, with the same hardware.
A single piece of paper can be folded into innumerable shapes. In the same way, a single Nozori platform can morph into multiple eurorack modules. Changing modules is as simple as changing jumpers position!
The Nozori concept consist of using the same hardware for multiple modules. This hardware is based on a powerful digital core to allow huge versatility. Potentiometers, inputs or outputs can adapt to many module designs: from standard modules like VCO, VCF or LFO to outstanding functionality never seen before, you will find lots of uses for your Nozori module in your rack.
Unleash your experimentation process thanks to a Nozori and enjoy any of the pre-programmed modules.
The implication of this design are huge:
Experiment: one hardware allows more experimentation since you can try many different modules.
Cost: you do not need to trade your used modules to update your rack.
- Flexibility: even if your rack evolves, you will always find the perfect module for your nozori platform.
Space saving: since a Nozori can morph into several different modules, a 4 modules rack offers an almost unlimited number of combinations.
- Specificity: very specific modules can be developed and customised. You will be able to find features that other manufacturers do not risk producing.
Elegant frontplates are available to see control parameters of any specific module. Adding a frontplate is optional but you may find it useful depending on you usage.
Reward and add-ons
[Update] Stretch goals
Since this project is now fully funded, I want to take into account the comments found online.
- Stretch goal 1 : after 20 pledge for the nozori 68 and nozori 84 bundle, I will propose a different design for the expansion panel : 1 expansion panel for the 2 modules, to gain 2U space. Backers will be able to choose between the initial reward (2 independent 2U expansion panel) or the "new" 2U expansion panel for both modules.
- Stretch goal 2 :After 20 pledges for a single nozori and it's expansion pack, I'll propose a single 14U front panel that include the jumpers.
- Stretch goal 3 : if the project goes beyond 20 000€ pledge, I'll propose 2 new modules for the nozori 68 and for the nozori 84, and I'll let peoples vote for the 20 best frontplate to produce.
- Stretch goal 4 : if the project goes beyond 30 000€ pledge, I'll include all 22 modules in the expansion pack.
[Update 2] First Stretch goals reached!
I’m Cyrille Henry, I live and work in Paris, France. My first synthesizer was an MS-10. Then, I learned electronics in order to build all the others. I conceived my first analogue synthesizer in 1998 and switch to digital synthesis few years latter.
I worked from 2000 to 2004 at “La kitchen” in Paris as an electronics engineer, developing all kind of custom made solution for dance, theater, musicians and other artists. Since then, I’m a free lance developer, working with electronics, sensors and computers, for real time sounds and images generation.
During the same period, I performed more than a 100 time all around the world with chdh : an audio-visual collective.
I have designed the OCS-2 for my own use. In 2017, I founded the nozoïd brand to share this work. The success of this first machine did encourage me to conceive the MMO-3. They are both mainly handcrafted, all synthesizers are numbered and signed.
Nozoïd synthesizer had lot's of very good feedback from its user community, including Jean-Michel Jarre, Richard Devine, and Bogdan Raczynski.
I worked for more than 1 year on the Nozori concept to propose a perfect solution for eurorack enthusiast.
International backers outside of the EU: Please be aware that you might have to pay customs fees when receiving your order from France. I will declare everything accurately in the shipping documentation.
More informations can be found on nozoïd website
Risks and challenges
I build hardware synthesisers for my own use during the last 20 years. I've recently develop and build 2 synths that I sell trough nozoïd online shop so I control all aspects of hardware fabrication and distribution.
The nozori concept have been prototyped during the last year. A small batch have been produced for real life test with professionals musicians. The firmware is 99% finished: It is stable, bugs are removed as soon as they are noticed in order to provide a bug free experience at the end of this funding campaign.
I have designed the nozori to use standard electronic component in order to reduce the risk of out of stock components. But the unexpected can always happen. The worst case scenario is being late in the delivery.
- (30 days)