Fantasy Creator is an Android and iOS app that can be used to create RPG characters.
Fantasy Creator is an Android and iOS app that can be used to create RPG characters.
*Before pledging we would like to draw everyone's attention to the "Export Models for 3D printing and Indie Game Assets" section. Here we explain exactly how the app will be monetised.
**Please also check out the new "Rewards update" section below to explain how the Rewards have been boosted.
***We are sorry for the confusion!
The Fantasy Creator app will allow you to bring your role-playing characters to life.
- Create your character with our character creator app.
- Customize your character with various armour and weapon sets.
- Set your character class and pick your spells from our list.
- Quickly build characters using our randomise function.
- Characters are all fully animated.
- Characters can be viewed in 3D and on certain phones in AR on the table before you.
- Build an unlimited amount of NPC characters for your session.
- Build and export characters in STL format to be 3D printed.
- Build and export characters in OBJ and FBX format for your own indie game.
Our plan is to deliver an app that lets you create multiple characters for every session of every table top game you are playing. You will also be able to export characters in OBJ and FBX format so you can use them in your own indie games.
- Visualise your character.
- Visualise their weapon strikes and spells.
- Watch them walk around in AR before you.
Before reading ahead, we would first like to let you know that we have boosted the rewards! The updates are presented below, we are really sorry for the confusion. Hope you like them though!
- The Copper reward in the €15 tier will now mean the supporter receives a voucher for 5 STL downloads and 3 FBX downloads.
- The Bronze reward in the €25 tier will now mean the supporter receives a voucher for 15 STL downloads and 10 FBX downloads.
- The Silver reward in the €35 tier will now mean the supporter receives a voucher for 25 STL downloads and 15 FBX downloads.
- The Golden reward in the €60 tier will now mean the supporter receives a voucher for Unlimited STL downloads and 25 FBX downloads.
- The Platinum reward in the €100, €250, €500, and €1000 tiers will now mean the supporter receives a voucher for Unlimited STL downloads and Unlimited FBX downloads.
These new rewards will also be given to those who have already supported out Kickstarter!
We are sorry for the confusion once again!
The Character Creator
This is the core feature of our app, and something as a 5e and Pathfinder player I have personally been most invested in creating. Whenever you start a new tabletop session the first thing you do is create your character. I was a late starter to these sorts of tabletop games, but when I started playing them I got invested very quickly. It wasn't long before I was on miniature sites creating my own characters.
We want to create an app that anyone can download for free and create as many characters with as many different abilities as the user wishes.
- The app will let you create a library of your own characters. You can choose your race, gender, class, alignment among other things.
- Decide exactly what your character looks like by shuffling through our large range of body parts and shapes.
- Decide on your weapons, armour and spells.
- View your character fully animated with a wide range of emotes and attacking animations.
The best part about this is, as your character evolves in the game it can evolve in the app. Edit your spells, your weapons, your fighting styles. Did you start as a fighter with a single long sword? Well maybe you leveled up and can now do two weapon fighting. Add a short sword to your character's off-hand.
Your library of character will be accessible and editable at all times.
What races can you choose?
To start with, there will be 15 available races to customize. This is not the end however! When the app is released we will be working hard to continuously increase that number. Some of our stretch goals will be directly tied to increasing the race numbers. As you can probably guess, creating characters, male and female, with multiple version of eyes, noses, hair, arms, legs, armour, weapons and spells is while a large task. That is why we are forced to limit the race numbers to 15 for now so that we can guarantee a high quality product to be released in September 2019!
The starting races will be:
- Half Orc
- Half elf
- Cat Folk
*We are aware for copyright reasons we may need to rename certain characters
What does that attack look like?
With most tabletop games you will encounter a large list of fighting styles and abilities. We want to make a practical app that can simplify the process of visualizing these abilities. Maybe you are a Druid and want to use Call Lightning. What range does that have, and what direction does it go in? We can help you with that?
Aside from the practical aspects, we also want people to enjoy seeing their characters with a full range of attack animations. Whether you are a two weapon fighter, a spell caster or bow and arrow type of fighter we will be able to represent your character and all of their abilities.
Export Models for 3D Printing and Indie Game Assets
One of the best pieces of feedback we have received so far is the option to download and licence your custom character models. We are very interested in this idea so we will be providing two options:
- We will be including an option to download an STL file so that you can 3D print your own miniatures.
- We will also be including a way to download and licence your own OBJ and FBX models so that you can use them in your own indie games. Think of it as a quick way to generate characters and NPCs for games.
Please note that exporting models will be the one paid portion of our application. The pricing of our STL/OBJ exporter is as follows:
- 1 STL/OBJ = €1.99
- Unlimited STL/OBJ = €49.99
- 1 FBX (with animation) = €2.99
- Unlimited FBX (with animation) = €59.99
View in Mixed Reality
We come from an AR/VR background. Nova Realities was formed by an ex- Microsoft and DAQRI employee and immersive technologies remains their passion. While the company still only has a small staff, everyone is dedicated to the creator of quality immersive experiences.
The Fantasy Creator app will have an AR component that will allow the user to view their character on the table before them. They will be able to run through animations, attack with melee weapons/bows, cast spells or maybe just have a little dance.
The AR mode will be available for ARCore and ARKit capable devices. This includes most iPads and iPhones, as well as most new Android devices. Links to AR capable devices are listed below.
This is a component we would like to build on in the future. While we believe a lot of tabletop games should primarily focus on imagination, we do think there are certain aspects that could be enhanced by AR.
A future goal will be to port this app the the Microsoft HoloLens and Magic Leap One.
Future Development Plans
This is only the start of what we would like to do with this project. For now you can create a limited amount of characters, spells, and weapon/armour sets. As this Kickstarter goes we will add more stretch goals. Our first ones will focus on adding all races and subraces from D&D and Pathfinder.
Then we want to look at different ways your character can interact with other user's character's in AR. We would like to add a Battle Mode where players can watch their characters battle it out in AR on the table before them.
Finally, we would like to add a Merchants Guild where players can upload their models and share them with others.
- 30,000 - More races, armour sets, weapons
- 40,000 - Even more races, armour sets, weapons
- 50,000 - Adding character sheets and stats
We will add more stretch goals as we reach them!
Join the Community
We are a small team so your messages definitely won't be lost in the inbox of some support email that is never monitored. We are actively monitoring our email, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages. Please don't be afraid to drop us a message! We are always interested in hearing your feedback and thoughts on this project!
Risks and challenges
This is our first attempt at making a character creator application. We believe we have a strong foundation in our demos and have the technical knowledge required to complete this project.
Time is always an issue for any development team but we hope that we have set a sufficient schedule by targeting a September release. If we meet our Kickstarter target we will be financially secure to develop the app on a full-time basis.
We appreciate all the feedback from the community to date and promise to post regular updates throughout the development period and we will always take feedback on board.
The excitement and positive feedback we have received so far brings us immense joy and motivation to work hard on the app. With your help, we can bring this app to reality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)