We know a lot of you have been wanting more details on exactly what we plan to develop feature-wise. Most all of this has been publicly documented for a while, but scattered in bug reports, so not the easiest to digest or discover.
We're starting with a very narrow focus, and will slowly broaden as we go. So if this describes you, Novacut should be a good fit for you early on. These features and their priorities aren't set in stone, and adjustments will likely be made as we get feedback from more artists.
- dmedia (think Media Asset Management, but futuristic and simple)
- Industry leading file import workflow
- Transparent proxy generation and use
- Powerful media tagging, rating, and organization
- Real-time collaborative editing (thanks to CouchDB)
- Snapshotting (version control)
- Frame-accurate cutting with industry leading productivity
- Per clip channel volume level adjustment (it's a start)
- Relative clip positioning
- Fast L-cuts
As much of it is already done, we feel confident the above can be delivered with our $25k funding goal, but realistically, we probably couldn't get much farther. However, we're in this for the long haul, and should we surpass our funding goal, we can keep charging ahead without having to stop and scramble for money. And charge ahead we will.
Spreading our wings
- Automatic clip sync (using audio channels)
- Automatic multiclip group and sync (using audio channels + import batch)
- A multicam workflow that we think can set the standard
- Fully animate-able volume level adjustment
- Volume leveling and normalization
- Good noise removal workflow
- Decent color grading, but fairly simple
- Start work to support hardware like the Tangent Wave (depends on driver progress, availability of specs)
- Enough motion graphics support for simple credits/titles
FCP7 XML project import (degraded fallback for missing features)
- Frame rate adjustment using optical flow
- Fully animate-able playback velocity (forward, reverse, stopped)
- Temporal video denoising
- Rolling shutter correction
- Fully animate-able crops, rotations, and transforms
- Compositing (internal and/or Blender)
- Full motion graphics via Blender integration
- Full blown color grading
These are some features that we don't plan to support, although Novacut being open source, these features could always come from industry or the community.
- Tape workflows, tape hardware
- Broadcast hardware
- Hardware and cameras that are rare or outdated or too proprietary to justify
- Obscure FCP7 XML features that our users don't actually use (should there be any)
- DVD and Blu-Ray mastering
I probably forgot some things, but that should give people a decent picture of our current roadmap. Again, this will change based on your feedback... so leave your feedback below!