Evolution Live Streaming
We want to show off the beta of Evolution in our final hours of this Kickstarter, so join us tonight (10/17) for our final stream!
11pm-1am EST, Join us for multi-player, answering questions, shenanigans with the development team on Twitch, and help us close out strong!
Evolution is an award-winning board game about adapting to the changing environment. Your species rely on food from the watering hole to survive. Want to eat the plant food before your opponents get the chance? Add the Foraging trait to eat food twice as fast. Think a Carnivore is lurking? Evolve with Climbing and escape to the trees, or better yet, evolve your species into a Carnivore and make a meal of your opponents.
With a deck of beautiful watercolor trait cards from internationally renowned nature artist Catherine Hamilton, the endless combinations turn every game into a thrilling adventure.
The Evolution video game is coming to your device this Fall. Our growing team of accomplished video game developers has been refining Evolution for several years now. Over 1,000 people played the Alpha Version this Summer. Here is some of the raw feedback they volunteered: (read more at the bottom of the page):
Man Vs Meeple
Our team has worked the last two and a half years to ensure North Star Games’ first video game will make some waves. We’ve already built the core game elements and will release the single player beta on PC/Mac the day after this Kickstarter campaign ends. But there are other features we want to include for the final release which we can't polish without a robust community of Beta players:
Unique AI opponents that deploy distinct strategies and compete at an expert level.
A cross-platform multiplayer system to instantly match you up with an opponent of similar skill-level.
Engaging campaign challenges to keep the Evolution experience fresh.
By adjusting the traits, rules, and card balance, we can drastically change the balance of the ecosystem. To help build the strong player base we need, we've added some exceptional perks for those who back the Kickstarter now instead of waiting for the release. See the Bonus Stretch Goals. Our goal is to make a game you can’t stop playing. So clear out your October - Evolution is coming!
The soundtrack and sound effects for Evolution will be composed and produced by North Star Digital’s audio director, Island Styles.
Hailing from Alexandria, VA, Island Styles is a composer and touring musician. Although he has a strong musical background rooted in rock'n'roll (as a guitarist for rock bands Candlebox and Jimmie's Chicken Shack), he enjoys creating all styles of music. Composing for video games like Evolution offer him a unique medium to exercise that musical diversity.
Here's the Evolution Trailer track:
About North Star Games
Since 2003, North Star Games has been making board games that are simple to learn and give endless hours of exciting play. Our award-winning blockbusters include Wits & Wagers, Say Anything, Happy Salmon, and Evolution. Total sales of these 4 brands are nearing 3 million copies.
We launched the North Star Digital studio three years ago so we could control the quality of our brands on digital platforms. Since then, we have built a team of video game development experts and will soon release a fresh, standalone experience with the Evolution video game.
*Shipping Worldwide does not include Russia, Brazil, South Africa and North Korea due to shipping distributor restrictions.
We had approximately 1,000 random people alpha test the video game throughout this Summer. Here is some of the raw feedback we received:
- “I am a science teacher. When I showed my class the demo of the video game they flipped out! You won over my class!” - ThorTiberius
- "Loved the digital version of Evolution:)! Great graphics and animations! Smooth game play. I was sooo sad when my Alpha-testing period was over." -Verity Hitchings
- “I was shocked at how well evolution was transformed from a board game to a video game, the bar has been raised quite notably.” - Graham Lynch
- “Easy to get into, yet difficult to master. A challenging, vicious AI opponent will put your nerves to the test. The alpha was already a visual marvel. Can't wait for the finished version.” - Franky Lanckacker
- “Absolutely amazing digital conversion. I learned to play Evolution with the digital version and now I just bought a copy of the physical game. I feel the same about the Video Game as the physical version...awesome.” - Gonzalo Casas
- “As a board game geek, I'm very critical of ports from the physical to the digital. The Evolution video game has really made the grade: intuitive design, fun aesthetics and being faithful to the game rules and spirit. I highly recommend it!” - Dane Anker
- “Evolution is my new go-to example for how a board game should make the jump to screens.” - Ian Parmenter “When i got a chance to play it on pc i lost my mind at how well the developers created it. The artwork and the gameplay was amazing. It's easy to learn and so addictive you won't be able to stop playing.” - Jacob Dupra
- “This is a beautiful-in-every-way implementation of a great game.” - Ron Parker
- “Evolution has finally cracked the code! Fun, gorgeous, interactive … it’s smart and it’s easy all at once!” - Russell P. Smith
- “One of the best digital implementations of a tabletop game to date. I especially loved all the different strategies you could explore while playing the AI opponents in such a short amount of time.” - Ryan Malone
- “I tried out the demo for this game at Pax East. It was pretty good then, but by the alpha test, it had "evolved", becoming something even more amazing! I ended up playing for hours on end, and I cannot wait to get back to playing it.” - Deirdre Lannelli
- "One of those rare cases of a game making the jump from tabletop to digital -- and landing a perfect ten.” - Doc Jones
- “When the Alpha test for the Evolution video game was over, I suddenly became aware that I had to go cold turkey. I mean, I had been playing every day. Then, nothing. So.... yeah. Apparently, I'm hooked.” - Jeff Hesse
- "Evolution offers plenty of depth without sacrificing fun. The digital adaptation's streamlined interface makes it a strong contender for best digital board game adaptation.” - Anthony P
- “My wife and I have been playing Evolution since the first Kickstarter campaign. It wasn't until the digital port, however, that we were able to adequately explain the game to our kids. Of course, now they now routinely beat us in the tabletop version. Come to think of it... this was a terrible idea.” - Marcus Howell
- “You'll have to pardon the pun, because this game was Intelligently Designed.The art and gameplay simply couldn't be better.” - Bryant B
- “Incredibly polished game play. Nice animations without detracting from the game and helpful info tips.” - BlueSapphyre
- “It faithfully recreates the experience of playing Evolution, but is far more portable. If that doesn't sell this product to you then you need to spend more time playing Evolution!” - Reed
- “I was surprised at how quickly time would fly by as I tried to achieve dominance over the watering hole. The game draws you in.” - Rich
- “I had so much fun playing the game, I'm constantly playing it in my head.” - Mert I. Erten
- “I had such a fun time playing the digital version of Evolution, I found myself playing it every bit of free time I had in the day.” - Alex Jimenez
- “As addictive as the board game- Can't wait to play online and devour my friends!” - Richard E. Moore
- “The game was beautifully made and encapsulated every aspect of the board game. Personally this is one of the most interactive games I've played in a long time.” - Adam Hamilton
- “The interface was very straightforward and intuitive compared to most board game ports I've played. I can't wait to see the final end result and the future expansions...cough...flight....cough. :)” - Damon Richard
- “The artwork and animations were absolutely charming, which made it easier for me to sleep at night after having predated several species to extinction.” - Daniel McDonald
- “Easily playable in only 10 minutes, this game gives you the full hour experience in a fraction of the time. The AI is challenging enough that you don't always win, and I found the animations to be charming to the point that they added to my enjoyment.” - Curt Collins
- “This app looks amazing, sounds amazing, and feels like you're playing the actual game. Super Excited!” - Rocky Pierce
- “The digital game is beautiful and is the best adaptation of a tabletop game I've seen. The theme of evolving and adaptations is portrayed accurately and in an engaging way, which no small feat from my experience as a biology teacher.” - Jeannette Gerry
- “The gameplay is smooth and the interface is intuitive. The animations are great and help to show you what's going on without being over the top.” - Eric Sanson
- “A very polished board game port that is true to its roots while enhancing them with the best aspects of digital: incredible replayability, challenging AI, and a beautiful presentation.” - Van Willis
- “Definitely the best way to enjoy Evolution on the go. Quite possibly the best way to enjoy it, period.” - Lee Nix
- “Plays even better than the board game, and the AI doesn't take as long to think about it's turn as my friends ;-)” - Daniel Schwering
- “I loved the digital implementation of Evolution. Me and my 7 year old played it for hours and it never got stale.” - Corey Brillinger
- “I can't wait to get back to playing again.” - Bryan Piveral
- "The little details, like card animations during feeding phases, elevate the Evolution playing experience to another level.” - Drew Tschette
- "This is the best digital adaption i have played.” - Mike Sarcopski
- “I absolutely loved it! One of the best virtual board games I've played!” - Zachary Henry
- “My first exposure to Evolution was the digital version. I was amazed at not only how much fun it was, but also how quickly one could learn the game play. The game kept me on my toes, provided a good challenge and has rewarding game play.” - Goose Berkowitz-Gosselin
- “When a 7 year old opts to play Evolution instead of Pokemon Go, you know it's good!” - Nneka Onwuemene-Hussey
- “I've never been more excited about evolving and extincting species, and doing it so fast, too!” - Andrew Leslie
- “Amazing port from table to screen. A+ guys thanks for making such a great app.” - Michael Rasmussen
- “The digital implementation of Evolution does a really fantastic job, staying true to the tabletop version, but making the game come alive with its sleek graphic design and great user interface - a must have for app board gamers.” - Max Vigne
- “Evolution is a game system perfect for digital adaptation, and this is a great adaptation.” - Steven Gisinger
- “An incredibly deep experience made extremely accessible. As a devoted fan of the board game, I was delighted to see such a faithful and beautiful adaptation be brought to life on so many platforms.” - Steven Li
- “The game was almost perfect in the alpha test and I am sure it has only gotten better since.” - David
- “A great port of a great game. Challenging AI, and a terrific way to learn the game.” - David Ko
- “I played this every day after work. The shortcut has it's own space on my desktop away from everything else so I could find it easier.” - Robert Comeau
- “I enjoyed playing the Evolution video game even more than ice cream, or a double chocolate, chocolaty brownie with caramel on top. I am Soooooo looking forward to the video game.” - Dawn Carter
- “This game is a blast. One night I lost track of time and went to bed way to late. It was worth it to be extremely tired the next day.” - Kris Drummond
- “One of the best interfaces of a board game ever! I even learned I had been playing the rules wrong all this time on the physical version.” - Matt Slowiak
- “I've been excited to play this amazing game on a digital platform since I first saw it at GenCon2016! The Alpha test earlier this summer showed a game that was already playable and enjoyable and I can't wait to see how North Star has polished it since then.” - Shane Morrison
- “It's educational but it's also incredibly fun! This game is wonderfully innovative, combining traditional board game style with animations and sound effects to make it come to life.” - Angelica J Alexander
- “Completely enjoyable with great graphics. It really helped me get a deeper understanding of the rules and helped me work on my strategy for the game.” - Kim Kieffer
- “The Evolution Video Game has given me the freedom to play more and experiment in Evolution more than I thought possible. The flawless gameplay flows so smoothly and efficiently; I have crammed in so many games and new strategies that I will crush my opponents with no mercy next time we play the board game.” - Brian Ganas
- “What a blast! Evolution Video Game brought the board game to life and teleported me to a prehistoric world. I would recommend this game anytime to anyone.” - Kurt Edwards
- “I dreamed about trait combinations and power plays. Can't wait for multiplayer so I can have friends again!” - Steve Smith
- “My favorite thing about Evolution when I first played it was how it so easily and completely created a perfect ecosystem simulation and I was overjoyed to find that the app did the same and then some. One of the best table to tablet conversions I played.” - Jackson Boom
- “A brilliant digital adaptation to an excellent tabletop game.” - Robert Schuren
- “The game is great to look at and fluid to watch the animations. It keeps track of everything you need to allow you to just plan your strategy. The AI is difficult but not impossible and interacts in ways that keep the game interesting. I really like it!” - Scott Bowen
- “This is one of the best digital boardgame conversions I've played, and I'm excited to take evolution anywhere.” - Aric Horst
- “I wish I could have played the game more during the Alpha test. After a few plays, my kids took over and couldn't be pried away. The graphics, sounds, and animations drew them in and the fast-paced gameplay kept them starting new games over and over again!” - Harley Winfrey
- “I've never had so much fun getting my butt kicked by such a well designed AI.” - Xavier
- “Some of the things I love about the video game is its beautiful graphics paired with animation that doesn't change the feeling of the game.” - Tara Ashley
- “Played for several hours on a flight from Paris to Addis Ababa. Very much enjoyed the game resulting in no sleep on the red-eye flight. I missed meetings the next day and am expecting to be reimbursed for lost time.” - Sebastian Milardo
- “Evolution is addictive! Super well designed and amazingly fun!” - Clay Diffrient
- “As a software developer, I am extremely impressed with the stability and software quality of the alpha version. Very few bugs, and very few freezes. Most of the playtesters' input has been tweaking features or improving the AI. Well done!” - Robert O'Hearne
- “Playing the digital version of Evolution was my first experience with the game and the tutorial did a great job. Theme and artwork on point, adaptive strategies, and great game play. I really enjoyed it!” - Landon (How Lou Sees It) Squire
This project is promoted by Jellop, a direct response online advertising agency specializing in Kickstarter campaigns on Facebook Ads and Google AdWords.
Risks and challenges
This is North Star Games’ fourth Kickstarter campaign associated with the Evolution product line, so we have an idea of some of the pain points for a campaign of this type.
With Evolution being North Star’s first video game, we wanted to be sure we could deliver at the level we want before coming to Kickstarter. We've seen too many video games promise release dates and blow far past them. For this reason, we wanted to make sure we had the core gameplay done before coming to Kickstarter and showing it off to fans.
Our final release target is mid 2018. There are many things that can affect how long the game will have to remain in beta for though. Multiple stages of testing and implementation of the feedback we receive takes some time and we don’t want to rush it for the sake of deadlines. Our primary goal is quality, not a deadline. For backers, final release may not be a big concern, as most of you will be playing the game from beta onwards. Those of you waiting for the game’s full release, there is always the chance that due to unpredictable issues or design challenges, the game may get delayed and remain in beta for longer than expected.
We promise though that this game is getting made and it is going to be amazing! We appreciate the patience, support and understanding of our backers throughout this period and are glad you’re joining us for the ride.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)