About this project
Wandering Monster Decks are an excellent addition to any game master’s toolbox. Each deck is full of monsters that fit a particular environment. We have Dungeon, Wilderlands, Waterways, and Underground. Each of these 52-card decks is based on one of the various bestiaries available for 5th Edition and Pathfinder. Currently our selection includes the core bestiary for 5th Edition, Bestiary 1 for Pathfinder, Fifth Edition Foes by Frog God Games, and Tome of Beasts by Kobold Press. Decks based on other bestiaries could potentially be added to this project, depending on feedback and demand.
Each card is themed, with flavor text along the top and three to five possible encounters, offering a range of challenge rating options. The flavor text is there to set the scene, and every possible encounter has been carefully crafted to make sense within that scene. If there are multiple creatures, it makes sense that they would be together and in that particular environment.
The cards are designed to be used in two ways. You can take a more old-school approach to wandering monsters and roll for the encounter using a d6, d8, or d10 (depending on the card) and use the numbers on the table to determine what monster or monsters the party encounters. This approach could result in a walk in the park for the party, a fight for their lives, or an encounter that's just right.
The other way to use these cards is to refer to the challenge rating of each encounter and choose the most appropriate for the party. This will assure that players are fairly challenged according to their level, and should save players from boredom, as well as the dreaded TPK(!), but we make no promises.
The decks can be used on the fly to create random encounters during gameplay, or they can be used while you’re building out your own adventures. All of the challenge ratings have been calculated for you, and the cards are specifically designed to inspire your creativity with their themes, flavor text, and interesting encounters. You’ll find yourself using a much more diverse collection of creatures than you normally would, and your players will be more entertained than ever!
The decks are based on the various monster books listed below, and each book has four decks based on it. You'll need the appropriate book for the deck or decks you pick, so make sure you either already own that book, or pick it up before you get your decks.
- 5E Core Wandering Monster Deck - Dungeon
- 5E Core Wandering Monster Deck - Wilderlands
- 5E Core Wandering Monster Deck - Waterways
- 5E Core Wandering Monster Deck - Underground
- Bestiary 1 Wandering Monster Deck - Dungeon
- Bestiary 1 Wandering Monster Deck - Wilderlands
- Bestiary 1 Wandering Monster Deck - Waterways
- Bestiary 1 Wandering Monster Deck - Underground
- Fifth Edition Foes Wandering Monster Deck - Dungeon
- Fifth Edition Foes Wandering Monster Deck - Wilderlands
- Fifth Edition Foes Wandering Monster Deck - Waterways
- Fifth Edition Foes Wandering Monster Deck - Underground
- Tome of Beasts Wandering Monster Deck - Dungeon
- Tome of Beasts Wandering Monster Deck - Widlerlands
- Tome of Beasts Wandering Monster Deck - Waterways
- Tome of Beasts Wandering Monster Deck - Underground
As many of you know, we always aim to support local game stores. In our effort to continue this tradition, we have pledge levels in which retailers can get these decks at 50% off MSRP ($7.50 each, instead of $15). We have four-packs for easy ordering, which include a Dungeon, Wilderlands, Waterways, and Underground deck from whichever rulebook(s) you choose.
There are a lot of decks in this project so we are limiting the stretch goals a bit compared to our other card deck projects.
- $35,000 Premium Cardstock - we will upgrade the cards to a higher quality, more durable, and more flexible cardstock. This means the cards are more vibrant, easier to shuffle, and they will last longer.
Complementing Wandering Monster Decks decks with our Treasure Decks for 5th Edition is a perfect way to add even more dynamic gameplay and save you additional time! Your players have never had it so good!
- $12 Treasure Deck CR 1-4
- $12 Treasure Deck CR 5-8
- $12 Treasure Deck CR 9-12
- $12 Treasure Deck CR 13-16
- $12 Treasure Deck CR 17-20
Critical Hit Decks
Add some new flavor to your combat! Sure, double damage is pretty awesome when you score a critical hit, but what if your players got double damage and cleaved the orc's arm off?! What if you could impose lingering effects to your players?! What if game sessions could become more action-packed?! Well, good news! These card decks add a ton of new outcomes, both to the exciting 20 and the dreaded 1!
- $12 Critical Hit Deck for GMs
- $12 Critical Hit Deck for Players
- $12 Critical Fail Deck
- $12 Luck Deck
Track our Progress
Risks and challenges
We will be fulfilling via USPS as usual so we aren't expecting any issues there. The production will be handled by a printer that we've worked with many times in the past, and we have a backup printer just in case.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)