About this project
UNLEASH THE HORDE! Ultimate Bestiary: Revenge of the Horde is not another A-Z of monsters. Instead, we have focused on some of the commonly encountered monstrous races like goblins, gnolls, and orcs, detailing their cultures, environments, and attitudes, as well as introducing a wide variety of stat blocks to suit a range of challenge levels, each with their own unique artwork.
- Bugbears - Ruled by augury and ritual superstition, bugbears are lead by a mixture of mystics and warriors. They excel at silently hunting their quarry, be it deer, troll, or man.
- Gnolls - Scavengers or hunters, whatever niche gnolls fill, they undertake their role with remorseless savagery. The 3 most common types are the powerful and aggressive plains gnoll, the cowardly and opportunistic gutter gnoll, and the cunning and elusive rock gnoll.
-Urban words of wisdom
- Goblins - Cowardly and sadistic bullies, goblins are divided into 3 distinct subgroups; forest goblins, stealthy guerrilla hunters and trappers; hill goblins, the most organized and martial variety; and cave goblins, a degenerate and twisted breed living deep underground.
- Hobgoblins - Utterly focused on waging war with other races, hobgoblins are not to be trifled with. Like a plague of insects, their great hosts will consume all a land has to offer, and march its former occupants off in chains.
- Kobolds - Kobolds divide neatly into 2 distinct subtypes. Warren kobolds are kobolds left to their own devices; simple miners and trap builders. When a colony discovers, or seeks out a dragon egg or wyrmling, their society entirely changes to that of the more grandiose and self-important dragon kobolds. ***Content contributor Wolfgang Baur of Kobold Press!***
- Ogres - Ogres are defined by their violent cruelty, immense strength, and monumental stupidity. They are inordinately proud of all these things.
- Okiti - Usually a mischievous nuisance in port towns, okiti can prove deadly if pushed, with huge numbers at their disposal and a knowledge of deadly poisons.
- Orcs - Orcs revel in chaos and destruction, and their violent warrior culture allows for no weakness.
- Trolls - Immensely adaptable, trolls are shaped by their environment into perfect ambush predators.
As with our previous book, Ultimate NPCs: Skulduggery, we will be holding votes to unlock these stretch goals in the order chosen by you, the backers.
$10,000 Beasts of the Horde - Two legs good, four legs better! We will add an appendix of beasts associated with the races of the book presented at a challenge ratings, such as worgs, hyaenids. reptilian mounts, and more, including artwork.
$20,000 Full Color Artwork - The book looks good, but we can make it even prettier! Every piece of sketch artwork in the book will be revisited and turned into a full colour piece.
$25,000 Tribes - Need a group of foes in a hurry? We will add a selection of specific tribes to appropriate races, each of which have developed the central themes of their culture in different directions, ready to drop into your game.
$30,000 Playable Races - You want to play as an orc? We've got you covered. We will include the necessary information to build a playable character as the races in the book, roleplaying information to suggest why you may have chosen the adventuring life, and sketch artwork.
$32,500 Encounter Tables - We know you all like your tables. Each chapter will contain a selection of encounter groups for a variety of challenge ratings.
$35,000 Lair Tables - Let's talk home decor. Each chapter will include a table to determine culturally appropriate details to add flavor to a settlement controlled by the race.
$40,000 Loot Drop Tables - Tasty, tasty loot! Each chapter will include tables for challenge appropriate loot which would logically be carried by the monsters.
$45,000 Additional Artwork - Even more pretty pictures! We will add extra pieces of accent artwork highlighting particular items and objects of importance.
$47,500 Trinket Tables - What's it got in its pocketses? Each chapter will include a table with trinkets and intriguing but worthless treasures a creature might have on their person.
$50,000 Tools of the Horde - What foul craft is this?! We will add a variety of items including weapons, armor, and potions (which do not exactly adhere to manufacturer's specifications. Drinking said potions may result in side effects. You've been warned).
$60,000 Lair Maps - Which way leads out of this accursed place?! We will add maps of various lairs for the appropriate monstrous races like cave goblins, rock gnolls, trolls, kobolds, etc. These maps will be in the book, PLUS you'll receive a digital version of every map no matter what your pledge level!
(these add ons require a pledge of at least $15)
$5 Ultimate Bestiary: Revenge of the Horde PDF
$15 Ultimate Bestiary: Revenge of the Horde (d20pro)
$15 Ultimate Bestiary: Revenge of the Horde (Fantasy Grounds)
(these add ons require a pledge of at least $40)
$40 Ultimate Bestiary: Revenge of the Horde HARDCOVER
$25 Revenge of the Horde PAWNS - This pack of solid cardstock pawns contains 258 monsters featured in Revenge of the Horde. They range in size from small, all the way up to huge, and vary in number to give you lots of options to bring the horde to your tabletop!
$15 Reference Cards - 100+ (if the beasts of the horde stretch goal is reached) cards with quick reference stat blocks on one side and artwork on the reverse.
Encounter Decks - These cards include the quick reference stat blocks and artwork, but the decks are weighted to function as quick encounter builders. Need a goblin encounter? Shuffle the goblin deck and draw 5 cards. It's as simple as that.
$12 Encounter Deck #1 - Goblins! 52 cards including all three goblin sub races as well as the goblin king!
$12 Encounter Deck #2 - Orcs & Hobgoblins! 52 cards including a huge variety of orcs and hobgoblins to fill your battlefields!
$12 Encounter Deck #3 - Gnolls! 52 Cards Including all three gnoll sub races to terrorize the countrysides and city sewers!
$12 Encounter Deck #4 - Bugbears, Trolls & Ogres! 52 Cards Including some of the most monstrous creatures of all!
$12 Encounter Deck #5 - Kobolds & Okiti! 52 Cards Including the smallest and most numerous of the hordish races!
Risks and challenges
All of the monsters are conceptualized, and the artwork for the book is designed and being finalized by the artist. That really only leaves stretch goals and production as the two variables that could delay us. We will be finishing the additional content unlocked by stretch goals as we achieve them, and we will be working with a printer with a good track record for on time delivery and excellent quality books.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)