Alvin From Earth - Season 1 funded!
We are creating an animated Sci-Fi comedy series which draws inspiration from the classic point-n-click adventure games (Lucasarts, Sierra etc) - BUT - with an interesting twist! You, the Community, can truly affect what happens on the next episode by way of votes and suggestions!
We've spent several months designing in-house tools that allow our animation team to quickly produce episodes. Thanks to this, we can produce an episode quickly & without delay after receiving your votes!
Just like in popular web comics "Homestuck" and "Prequel", where the artists take suggestions from the community and continue the story based on the community's ideas, the fate of our story will lie with you, the people!
$2,500 - GOAL REACHED!
If we hit our main goal, we'll be making FOUR episodes of the show for the first season.
A FIFTH episode + MORE music from Toni! Hitting this goal gives Toni much more time to make our musical score even more epic.
Check Toni's site at deejiitony.com
A SIXTH episode + Special guest stars! If we get this far, we'll have a few special guest characters appear, including DJ Oku Luukkainen and Pori's own Julle Kallio, listen to his sexy voice on this clip :
EIGHT episodes, complete with music and guest stars!
12 EPISODES on the first season!
That's around FEATURE FILM LENGTH of material!
We'll make the 2ND SEASON! 10 more episodes!
WOAH, if we get THIS far, we'll make an ALVIN MOBILE GAME with lots of more interactivity for the series (released in the beginning of 2019 or before)!
We love the classic adventure games.
Everyone we've talked to love the classic adventure games.
You know... Monkey Island, Kings Quest, Space Quest, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Beneath a Steel sky, Loom, Grim Fandango, Teen Agent, Larry, Maniac Mansion, Indiana, Day of tentacle...
Don’t know? Well, just imagine a generation of kids in the late 1980s and early 1990s spending hours and hours on their parents old computers, solving puzzles and going on epic adventures. That’s the classic adventure games we’re talking about.
Many lovers of the genre say that they just don't have the time to play the classic adventure games anymore like they did when they were kids, but they miss 'that something' in them that the current modern games aren't delivering.
Our mission is to re-adapt the classic adventure game genre to the modern audiences.
What made the adventure game genre so touching was the beautiful 320x200 resolution, the dialogues, the animation, the theatrical format and writing, the pixel font, nerdy jokes, haunting music and the 8-bit sounds... We want to take all those things and provide them in a quick & easy format AND create the content TOGETHER as a community!
So the experience will be something like going to see the "Monkey Island" played on an Improv Theatre stage!
"Alvin From Earth" follows the adventures of Alvin, our accidental protagonist. Alvin, in a case of mistaken identity, is chosen to represent the whole of planet Earth in front of the Humanity Council, a group of ancient humans responsible for the well-being of the entire human race across the known universe.
Alvin, an unimpressive, physically-weak millennial, must learn to coexist with four other human representatives from four other planets and complete various tasks and training designed by the Humanity Council to test the possibility of all human planets coming together after hundreds of thousands of years of isolation.
What is their motivation for bringing them all together -now-, one might ask? Is this just a game for them, or is there a danger no one knows about? Only time will tell..
Along the way, Alvin learns about the plight and inconveniences of life on other human planets, and begins to sympathise with one representative’s call for a Total Planetary Population Relocation Program, or TPPRP.
So who's there already with Alvin? Meet the others!
Orj’a comes from a planet that is almost entirely water and large, mountain-like rock formations. Orj'a is one of the best athletes on her planet. She agreed to help the Human Council because she thinks it will make them see just how difficult life on her planet is. She is extremely strong of will and tough.
Assistant was Leader’s childhood best friend. So, when Leader went into politics he followed even though he has no real interest. He has a short fuse, and is usually looking for the easiest way out. Since he grew up around Leader, his standards for people in general are high. He has no sympathy when people make mistakes. When he makes a mistake, it’s somehow always the fault of someone else. Assistant isn’t an a-hole, he’s just immature, insecure, and petty.
Leader is the leader of the ancient Humanity Council, and thus the de-facto leader of humanity. She is strong, analytical, and wise - but not a Spock type. She doesn’t usually show emotion in her voice, but Alvin and Orj’a clearly can get under her skin at times. That being said, she almost never makes choices based on emotion, which sometimes leads to other people getting hurt by her decisions - except when it comes to Assistant.
And the others...
There will be a bunch of other characters that are already pre-written, but some you will actually be able to affect thus we will reveal them further down the line :)
Alvin From Earth is an interactive series. At the end of each 4-10 minute episode, viewers of the series will be given the chance to help Alvin make a choice, as in the adventure games of yore. Should Alvin steal the spaceship and risk getting into trouble, or should he stay behind and be safe, but let everyone down? Is he hostile towards his shipmates, or does he try and seduce the captain? You, the community will decide and send us suggestions!
The episodic format works like this :
1. You as a backer will receive a personal link to a new episode every 2nd week. You will be able to view the episode before any outsider will.
2. You can view the episode and vote the next action trough ABC-options and also suggest lines Alvin should say, what he should try to do or how he could fix something (or at least try to) etc...
3. After two days, we'll choose the best and/or the most common ones from your suggestions and then throw that episode public on Youtube, social media and on alvinfromearth.com for the whole world to see.
4. The public will now get to vote on the best/funniest/weirdest suggestions from you, the Kickstarter backers.
5. We will animate the next episode based on your votes and also add story content based on the suggestions you gave us and that were most liked by the public viewers.
- Each episode is around 4-9 minutes.
- Bi-weekly series. This means each episode comes out every 2 weeks. We are also aiming towards once-a-week rate in the future.
- Beautifully crafted 8-frames-per-second pixel animation - straight from the oven, made specifically for each episode & for you - the community!
- Beautiful hand made 8-bit background art.
- Community are able to send us miscellaneous content which might end on one of the future episodes (images, sound, etc..)
- More interactive elements and game mechanics to come
I thought this was going to be a classic Adventure Game. So is this a GAME or a SERIES?
Kinda both and neither. First of all, we are experimenting here a new way of creating content : step-by-step with the community. This approach is less rigid than your normal game/series Kickstarter project :
- The content is created 'on-the-go' as the episodes are coming out. No need for massive pre-production time.
- You don't have to wait for 2-4 years for the development to be finished! We can launch within 1-2 months!
- Many game & film projects risk running out money at the very end, thus jeopardizing the whole project before it's finished = We publish in bits so we are more reliable.
Because even we don't know the actual final content and the level of interactivity yet, it is safe to say that you, the community, can also push us to a direction you'd like this to go to!
So, will we end up having an Alvin Adventure Game or a Netflix or Adult Swim-signed series in our hands? We don't know yet, you tell us!
What makes your sci-fi story any different than the billions of others out there?
Our story will be heavily influenced by what our fan community votes. Unlike in traditional media, where the viewer is just a viewer, we want to have our viewers to feel like they are part of the development process and like their input matters - because it does! Even if you would've seen all the Sci-Fi there is in the world, an interactive series like this is still more intimate experience.
Another unique aspect is that our initial story and the world was written by a legally-blind woman named Felicia Prehn. Felicia is a vocal advocate for accessibility in the gaming community and has made a name for herself in Finland for her efforts to educate people on the realities of living life blind.
- Teemu Erämaa - Director. Previously worked at the Oscar winning VFX studio The Mill / London & L.A.
- Felicia Prehn - Writer, producer, and voice actress. She also DJ's and organizes tons of stuff, and makes music under the name MC Licia
- Toni Kurkimäki - Music. Producer, DJ on national radio and film writer. Also known as DJ Tony and Deck Jagger
- Ilia Raita - Character concepts + in-house tools & pipeline
- Tomi Aalto - Programming
- Jukka Ranula - Audio recording and support
- Kasper Peltonen - Voice acting and other shenanigans
- + thousands of pixel animators :)
All episodes of Alvin From Earth on Youtube will have an option for descriptive narration, meaning those with little or no vision will be able to follow along without missing anything. We will also have subtitles for every episode.
Risques et défis
We're an established animation studio with over seven years of experience working on high-quality animation and VFX on projects such as Playstation and Wolfenstein II (see our work at www.nopia.fi), but we are a small team. That being said, our beta episodes went well (see for yourself at : www.alvinfromearth.com) and we never felt undermanned. On our beta, we were able to pull off 1 episode in 3 days thanks to our very slick pipeline and in-house animation tools.
What about trolls?
At this point we are only allowing you, the backers, to have more control than the basic ABC-vote. We believe that trolls don't want to back just to troll.
Another possible challenge is the timetable. Since we plan to do these bi-weekly, in theory it could be a lot of work to animate everything in time. However, since we plan to reuse existing assets, this should not play a huge role.
What if the leads of the project (Teemu and Felicia) are sick for 2 months due to a skiing accident?
- In the MOST worst case, there might be a delay, but we are constantly working towards independent pipeline where our artists or visiting directors could take over if needed. Plus, we can always make a few "Flash back" episodes in case of emergencies :)
What about all the work that goes to Kickstarter rewards, packaging, sending etc?
At this stage we are not offering physical rewards exactly for this reason, we want to focus our energy in creating the series and not printing t-shirts at this stage.
Période de financement
- (30 jours)