Nomster Chef is on a mission to raise a healthier generation of kids and a happier generation of parents by teaching kids how to cook.
Research shows that:
- Kids are more likely to try food that they've helped to cook
- People form their lifelong eating habits in childhood
We believe that kids who cook develop lifelong healthy eating habits. Also, it's really fun!
Cooking benefits kids in lots of ways:
- Encouraging them to like healthy food
- Giving them a practical life skill
- Bonding time with the grown-ups in their lives
- Practicing academic skills like reading, math, science, social studies, executive function, and fine motor skills
For more about why it's important to cook with kids, read here!
What does a step-by-step illustrated recipe for kids look like? Here's a sneak preview:
Illustrated Recipes that even little kids can "Read"
- Pictures help kids age 2+ understand the recipe steps
- "Grown-up only" steps clearly indicated
- Kids are excited about instructions made just for them
A Digital Library of Illustrated Recipes
- Each recipe is fully illustrated
- Recipes are about 30 pages long and can be flipped through like a digital storybook
- Recipes can be accessed with any device
- Includes grocery list and parent tips
Recipes are Kid Tested and Grown-up Approved
- Recipe instructions created by educational experts
- Every recipe tested with real kids to make sure your family will think they're awesome
- We do all the planning for you (no professional Pinterest-ing, blog scouring, or Googling required)
Nate Nomster Keeps Kids Engaged and Learning
- Our test parents say kids Nomster Chef keeps kids engaged while cooking
- Kids learn about cooking techniques, food science, the culture of food, and nutrition
Here are the 20 recipes that will be in our Digital Recipe Library when we launch to Kickstarter backers. Once we launch, we plan on regularly adding more recipes.
Yay! We hit our funding goal! Now we'd like to add as many backers as possible to build our community of early Nomster Chef users. Check out what these milestones will unlock for all backers:
Because videos are fun, here are two we made to show off two recipes that will be in the Digital Recipe Library.
Great Green Guacamole recipe:
Happy Hummus recipe
What Kids Think of Nomster Chef
What Grown-ups Think of Nomster Chef
"My daughter looked forward to helping me in the kitchen every week! Thanks for letting us test different recipes and showing me how much children blossom when they can take part in the cooking process."
— Amy, Test Mom
"This has been such a positive thing for us, my son is more interested in cooking and food than ever - can't wait to try more recipes!"
— Jennifer, Test Mom
"I think he felt more in charge just because of the formatting, it’s more kid centered rather than reading a recipe for an adult, I didn’t have to interpret it. I was letting him read everything to me and tell me what to do."
— Brandy, Test Mom
"It made me feel really confident in helping my son. I get really flustered in the kitchen with new recipes when I feel like I don’t know what I’m doing. But with all of these recipes through Nomster I felt confident and that made it so much better in the kitchen."
— Elizabeth, Test Mom
150 recipes have been made with the Nomster Chef prototype so far! Here's an overview of some of the work that's gone into the design process:
- 2015: Concept designed at Stanford's d.school and Graduate School of Education as founder Ashley's "Learning, Design and Technology" Master's Project
- 2016: Completed a fellowship at UPenn's Education Design Studio EdTech start-up incubator and seed fund.
- 2016: Ran a Pilot with 25 families to test overall concept and product design
- 2017: Developed and tested our new batch of recipes with 25 families
Launching our Digital Recipe Library
- Illustrate the steps in 20 digital step-by-step recipes
- Revise recipes based on recipe tester feedback and expert input to make them as awesome as possible
- Set up Recipe Library home page to make it easy to navigate
Bringing the Nomster Family to Life
- Show Nate Nomster's personality with more illustrations
- Give Nate parents! Fully illustrating these Momster and Dadster character designs so that grown-ups are represented in the recipes too!
Ashley Moulton - CEO, Founder, Nomster in Chief
Ashley has worked in kids’ educational media for 8 years: on a preschool TV show on Nickelodeon called “Team Umizoomi” and on apps at YouTube Kids and PlaySquare.
She is a 2015 graduate of the Stanford Graduate School of Education's "Learning, Design, and Technology" program. Nomster Chef was developed as Ashley's master's program project at Stanford, and she recently completed a fellowship in the University of Pennsylvania's Education School's Education Design Studio EdTech incubator.
She’s been an avid home cook and foodie ever since moving to New York City opened her eyes to the wonders of food, and hopes to share this love with as many kids as possible!
Ashley Smith, RD - Nutrition Consultant
Ashley is a Registered Dietician Nutritionist and previously worked as a pediatric dietician for a major hospital. She currently runs Veggies and Virtue, where she counsels parents with pediatric feeding concerns.
Kelly Jones - Character Designer
Kelly aka "shibazzle" is an artist & designer whose credits include Nickelodeon ("Blaze and the Monster Machines" and "Team Umizoomi"), Sprout and Sesame Workshop.
Jamie Krenn, PhD- Curriculum Consultant
Jamie is a contributor to the Nomster Chef Blog. She is also an adjunct assistant professor heading the Children's Media: Analysis and Evaluation area of focus within the master's program of Cognitive Studies and Education at Teachers College, Columbia University. Her research interests include cognitive media processing, children’s television and culinary cognition.
You rock our monster socks. Seriously. Thank you so much for taking the time to check out this Kickstarter. Anything you're able to contribute will help make Nomster Chef a reality. Love you, mean it. <3
Please share with all your friends!
Facebook: Go to the Nomster Chef Facebook page and share the Kickstarter post pinned to the top of our page!
Twitter: Click to share on Twitter
E-mail: Copy and paste this pre-written message, and send away!
I just heard about this awesome Kickstarter and thought you might be interested in it too. It's a company that is helping kids cook with their families to promote healthy eating and fun family time. Here's their description: Nomster Chef is building a digital library of step-by-step illustrated recipes that help kids learn how to cook with their grown-ups. The recipes are led by the friendly Nate Nomster character, and are fun and educational. Kickstarter supporters will have first access to our digital library of step-by-step illustrated recipes for kids as well as fun monster swag!
Check out the Kickstarter campaign here: http://kck.st/2hgocNg
Risks and challenges
We've made prototypes of all the physical products (magnets, decals, Alphabet Noms cards, aprons), so we understand production times and processes. We anticipate that all physical products will be mailed in late November.
As far as the step-by-step illustrated recipes, there is a risk that it will take longer than anticipated to complete them. Ashley has gone through the recipe-creation process before while making prototypes, so she understands all of the steps involved. Ashley also has extensive project management experience and knows how to bring a media project to completion. We currently anticipate that the Digital Library of Illustrated Step-by-Step recipes will be live for Kickstarter backers in February 2018, but this target date could be delayed.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)