Slipstream is a racing game inspired by the visuals, music, games and cars from the late 80s and early 90s. It's built on a custom game engine, made specifically for this game, which grants it an authentic retro feel and unique graphics. The soundtrack, drawing from synthpop and jazz fusion influences, sets the tone for a race across a variety of exotic locations from all around the world, including cities, deserts, forests, mountains and beaches. Drifting and slipstreaming mechanics add depth to the driving gameplay, and the result is a challenging and exciting experience.
A playable demo is now available on itch.io, for Windows, Mac and Linux. Click here for the download page.
If you want to write about Slipstream, there's a media kit here, with high resolution logos, screenshots and concept art.
ABOUT THE GAME
Do you remember the era of the arcade racers? The extreme sense of speed? the colorful pixel art scenery zooming past as you race for the finish line? Slipstream is here to bring it all back.
Racing games from the past didn't have the luxury of full 3D graphics at their disposal. They used sprite scaling to simulate depth and perspective using only 2D graphics. This technique is responsible for the peculiar feel of classics like OutRun, OutRunners, Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge and Test Drive: The Duel. Slipstream is built on a custom game engine, made exclusively for this game, which uses that same technique to bring the real, authentic retro experience to modern hardware, using the extra power to provide smooth, constant 60fps gameplay, even when running on computers with modest specs (e.g. laptop without an external graphics card).
The gameplay revolves around various forms of racing: through checkpoints, against opponents or against the clock to beat your best times. The drifting and slipstreaming mechanics add a layer of complexity on top of the basic driving, requiring well-timed button presses and steering control to get through the curves, and risky driving to reach the highest speeds.
Slipstream uses pixel art graphics and an original synthpop soundtrack to set the tone and take you on a trip across a variety of exotic locations from all around the world (and beyond?), including future-retro metropolises, sunny beaches, dense forests, vast deserts and huge mountains. It's inspired not only by the games of the early 90s, but also the music, movies, fashion trends and cars from that time, making up for a complete nostalgic experience, as if 1992 never ended.
- 4 game modes - described below.
- 30 different tracks - 30 unique locations drawn in stunning pixel art.
- 4 playable cars - with attributes to match your playstyle.
- 8 original songs
A Demo version of Slipstream is now available on itch.io, see here.
- Story Mode - A fully illustrated, scripted story mode, including different kinds of missions (1 on 1 racing, pursuit, escape, ramming other cars and more), characters to interact, choices to make and multiple endings.
- Arcade Mode - Avoid the traffic and race against the clock to reach the checkpoints on time. At the end of each track, the road splits into two different paths, allowing you to choose where to go next on your trip.
- Race Mode - Classic racing mode. Choose a single track or a multi-track cup and beat the other racers to the finish line.
- Custom Mode - Like arcade mode, but this time you make the rules. Choose the tracks, traffic density, number of rival cars, time limit and just have fun your own way.
Slipstream has an original soundtrack composed of 8 songs, with the possibility of more to come. Here's a preview of three of them.
Slipstream was approved on Steam Greenlight and will be available on Steam for all major PC platforms: Windows, OS X and Linux. All the game downloads given as rewards will be available for all three platforms.
The reward tiers are:
- Basic Package ($5) - Just the essential: A downloadable copy of the game (Steam key + DRM-free download)
- Plus Package ($10) - All the contents of the Basic Package + Digital game manual + Beta access to the game, allowing you to play (and give feedback) before the official release.
- Deluxe Package ($25) - All the contents of the Plus Package + Full soundtrack download + Your name in the game credits.
- Advertiser Package ($50) - All the contents of the Deluxe Package + You can design a billboard to appear on some of the game's tracks. (subject to approval by the development team).
- Character Package ($100) - All the contents of the Deluxe Package + You can become a character in the game! (or help us design one, it's your choice)
Risks and challenges
The Slipstream game engine is in a very advanced state of development, as you can see from the video. However, the game still lacks content: more tracks, more cars, more graphics, more music. These are things that take time to make.
We're a very small team, but we've been doing smoothly so far and we believe we can finish the game in time with this budget unless something completely unpredictable happens.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)