Memorable year for Flying Paper: Watch film online & support our upcoming project in Gaza
Dear friends and supporters,
We hope you are having a restful break over the holidays. We wanted to share an end-of-year update on our film with you.
This has been a memorable year for Flying Paper with a Premiere at the United Nations in New York this spring, our work on the ground during the devastating war in Gaza this summer, online release of the film, and worldwide distribution undertaken by Journeyman Films.
Here are some highlights and some exciting news on our plans ahead:
1. After months of intensive post-production work, we completed a New Broadcast HD version of our film (52 mins in duration) and it Premiered at The New School in New York on April 12th to a heartwarming audience response. See an article about the NY Premiere.
2. The new HD version of Flying Paper is now available for online streaming via Distrify, subtitled in four languages (English, Arabic, French and Spanish), while the original 72 min Director's Cut is now available exclusively on DVD (for $25 including shipping).
3. On May 28, 2014, Flying Paper screened at the United Nations headquarters in New York including a panel discussion with Co-Director Nitin Sawhney, Robert Turner, Director of Operations for the United Nations Relief Works Agency (UNRWA) among others. The event was webcast live (video archive online here) and documented in a news article.
4. During the devastating war in Gaza this summer, our co-producer Anne Paq bravely documented the dire situation on the ground through her stunning photography. We subsequently published an article in the Israeli +972 magazine with an exclusive 7-min excerpt of Flying Paper.
5. In August 2014, we were excited to have U.K.-based distributor Journeyman Films take on Flying Paper for Worldwide Distribution. The film is now available on their online catalog for purchase via download, online streaming and on DVD.
6. During the fall, we continued to screen the film at Universities, International Film Festivals, and Benefit Events for humanitarian relief efforts in Gaza, with our community-based partners. We plan to have more screenings at Schools and Colleges in coming months, while focusing on Educational Distribution for the film. Let us know if you have suggestions for screenings too.
7. Finally, we are excited to announce production on a New Sequel to Flying Paper, based on recent footage shot by our team in Gaza (Anne Paq, Abeer Ahmed and Anas Hamra), highlighting the struggles of Palestinian children and families during the most recent war, including many characters who were featured in our original film (such as Musa, Widad and Abu Ziad). We are currently seeking support to complete this film in the next 6 months, given the urgent humanitarian and political situation in Gaza.
If you are interested in our upcoming film project, we'd be happy to share a brief edited segment and you may contribute a tax-deductible donation via Fractured Atlas. We hope to raise $25,000-$30,000 in coming months to support production work on this new film. We'll be sharing more details soon, so please help us spread the word.
Thank you for all your generous support of our efforts this past year, and helping us make Flying Paper such a success. Warm wishes for the holidays.
Nitin Sawhney and Roger Hill
Co-Directors, Flying Paper