Nisnas Industries is a community workshop in Wadi Nisnas, Haifa. We are equal parts community center and production space. We teach local youth and employ local artists to create a sustainable circle of production, education and community empowerment. We produce the highest quality wood and leather commuting gear that supports our local activity and growth.
Checkout this short piece about our community work, it is the base for all our activity and with your help it will expand into a new space outside the school to allow the greater local community access to our programming:
This Kickstarter project will help us launch a new production space that will double as a community center in the Wadi Nisnas Neighborhood in Haifa. This space is our next step in scaling up production and will allow us to employ local artists. The space will remain open as a community workshop after hours to teach local youth. Your support goes directly towards this goal!
For all those who wanted a Kul Rex bag to fit a 15" laptop we now offer that custom option. See reward section for the Kul Rex Supreme.
Our Notepads are a perfect commuting companion.Balanced, leather body with custom-etched wood back to make writing easy on-the-go. Two designs to choose from: Haifa city skyline or P.ride design, a cooperative effort with local LGBT activists. (Paper size A5)
- Highest quality leather.
- Handmade wood back in our local shop.
- Replaceble notepaper (we will be happy to send second and third refills).
- Perfect for travel, slim and durable.
- Haifa Skyline is our own design, P.ride Design is a cooperative effort with local LGBT NGOs.
Unique iPad case featuring our Haifa city skyline. Beautiful wood and leather construction make it sturdy and nearly indestructible. Click here for more pictures and details:http://www.nisnascycles.com/2013/01/tabletipad-case.html
- Highest quality leather body, handmade locally
- Hand crafted wood carving in our local shop
- Will fit all iPads
- Will fit most tablets within 3" of the classic iPad size
- Extremely durable and goes well with our Kul Rex large bag
The Kul Rex is our flagship bag design. This leather messenger style bag will fit comfortably on your shoulder for a day’s commute or fit snuggly in your bike frame with special hidden straps. The Rex is our bigger bag, it will hold an iPad, papers and books with plenty of room to spare for a day's work or pleasure.
A main feature of this bag is its wood spine. Inspired by our rugged, rigorously tested and proven mud guard designs, it reinforces the shape of the bag, adding protection making it more sturdy and beautiful. We custom-etch the spine to fit the bag perfectly. Click here for a short description about the meaning of our designshttp://www.nisnascycles.com/2013/01/lessons-in-subtle-subversive-design.html
Your choice of three spine patterns, see below:
- See FAQ section below on how the wood connects to the body.
- Featuring our extremely durable wood spine.
- Custom wood etching done in our workshop.
- We use very high quality brass hardwear made locally.
- Highest quality handmade leatherwork.
- Features large front pocket for Ipad, compatible with our Ipad case.
- Two internal pockets for phone, wallet and pen holders.
- Large internal space for papers, and general use.
- See at the bottom of the page a short video showing the Kul Porter
- Featuring a large front pocket and two side pockets for phone and pens.
- Will fit just about any bike frame
- Straps fold in when riding or can unscrew for permanent use on bike.
- Perfect for smaller riders.
- Identical design scheme to the Rex, scaled down
These 700c wood mud guard fenders are the result of years of testing. They fit most bikes with room for fenders, including older road style bikes with eyelets, touring bikes and city bikes. We use Oak, White Cedar, Maple and other pliable woods to create designs inspired by and created with local youth and reflecting neighborhood activism. Click here for a short piece on the meaning of our designs http://www.nisnascycles.com/2013/01/messenger-and-top-tube-hugger-bag.html
There are three designs to choose from:
- Extremely durable, tested through many seasons of heat, rain and cold.
- Will fit most 700c bikes designed to accept fenders.
- Metal hardwear is very durable and made to be very adjustable to accommodate fit.
- Custom designs inspired by local activits.
- Brass bolts with custom fittings included.
We love our keychains. Simple wood, laser cut and polished.
See here a short clip featuring our smaller bag the Kul Porter.
Here's a short clip we made featuring our mud guards.
Nisnas Industries started out as a community initiative in the Wadi Nisnas Neighborhood of Haifa. Our humble beginning was in a small hole-in-the-wall store we called the cave (because it looked like one) in the middle of the ancient marketplace of Wadi Nisnas. The store was once an ancient stockroom for olive oil and livestock and over the past 300 years has changed little. We claimed it for a while and thaught the value of bike commuting and cycling skills to local youth in the area while making our own bicycle gear. Slowly our connection with local craftsmen grew and our love for cycling and commuting along with our local partners lead us toward a creation of more wood and leather gear. We love our home and believe deeply in the tradition of the craft. Our innovative leather and wood designs are a result of decades of experience in the cycling industry but more importantly of cooperation with our friends and neighbors who have honed their craft over decades. This is us moving into our "cave" in the marketplace. (Max on the left and Yossi on the right)
We started out by making bike fenders like these: http://www.nisnascycles.com/2010/12/brompton-and-700c-fenders.html and slowly made our way towards more innovative wood and leather designs you see here in this project.
Risks and challenges
We worked over the past 3 years to make sure that we make the best product possible and have the most talented people to collaborate with. We make every bit of the wood product with our own two (well, four…) hands and collaborate with local friends to make leather goods. The challenge was to combine the two and make sure that the collaboration would be as beautiful as it is functional. It took years of testing and many hours both choosing the right partners and working on the best way to combine our skills to make the best product possible.
The challenge has always been to project our vision into the final product and make sure that our partners are not only the most skilled people out there but that their way of working compliments our woodwork. We tested, made changed, retested and tested again, we made sure that our gear would last generations, not just a season but a lifetime.
- (30 days)