Simple. Magnetic. Sleek.
A couple years ago our awesome Kickstarter backers helped us launch the DigiPlate laptop mounting system which has since become the standard for professional photographers worldwide. Soon after we created a sun shade that mounted to the DigiPlate but is dependent on the DigiPlate hardware in order to be used. A great solution for DigiPlate users but not so great for non-DigiPlate users.
So we began tinkering with the idea of creating a laptop sun shade that works more like a shade that you might find on a professional large desktop monitor. Those large desktop monitor shades are usually 3 sided with enough coverage to block out most glare. They also are usually very bulky and need special hardware to attach to the monitor which we wanted to avoid. So our goal was lightweight and sturdy and with easy installation.
Most of last year we worked on developing the "Lite" version of the DigiShade. We went through several rounds of prototypes exploring using a magnetic mount and finding a shade material that was lightweight, strong, and wouldn't sag under it's own weight.
Fast forward to January of this year and eight prototypes later and the DigiShade Lite was finally ready to see light of day. The DigiShade Lite is a magnetic sunscreen for your MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air. The shade is made from 6061 aircraft grade aluminum with durable cloth hinges which is both very lightweight and rigid and creates a professional and clean sun shade unlike many of the clunky collapsable solutions currently on the market.
The DigiShade Lite attaches to your MacBook with a magnetic mount and requires absolutely no modifications to your computer to install. From removing the DigiShade Lite the first time from the package to installing on your MacBook laptop screen is literally seconds. The magnetic mounting system is so strong you can pick up a MacBook Pro 15" laptop off a table by the attached DigiShade Lite.
Storage and portability were high on our task list while developing the DigiShade Lite. It collapses to the same length and width of your MacBook and about the thickness of 20 sheets of paper. The DigiShade Lite will easily slide into any laptop sleeve or backpack for easy transport.
The DigiShade Lite fits the following MacBook laptops:
- MacBook 13" (all years)
- MacBook Air 13" (all years)
- MacBook Pro Unibody (Late 2008-2014), both 13" & 15"
- MacBook Pro Retina laptops (all years), both 13" & 15"
- THE KICKBACK: $5+: In our final update for this Kickstarter, we'll linkback to the website of your choice. If you are into website SEO, you know how valuable linkbacks are.
- THE EARLY BIRD: $50: These will be the first 25 DigiShade Lites for 15" MacBook Pros off the production line during our quality control run. This early bird reward is only available for the 15" MacBook Pro (Retina or Unibody).
- THE 13: $65: DigiShade Lite for your 13" MacBook.
- THE 13 AIR: $65: DigiShade Lite for your 13" MacBook Air.
- THE 13 PRO: $65: DigiShade Lite for your 13" MacBook Pro.
- THE 15 PRO: $65: DigiShade Lite for your 15" MacBook Pro.
- THE "O CANADA": $75: This reward is for our friends to the north who have pointed out that shipping to Canada shouldn't cost as much as the rest of planet earth. $75 gets you a DigiShade Lite of your choice (we'll get your specific model later) shipped to Canada.
- THE BIG DOG: $250: Well, you're going to need a laptop mounting system to go with that DigiShade Lite. It just so happens our other Kickstarter project was, wait for it... a laptop mounting system called the DigiPlate! With this reward, we'll throw in a DigiPlate Lite bundled with a mount (tripod or baby pin) and a set of laptop clamps in addition to a DigiShade Lite. You can see the specific DigiPlate Lite bundle here that is included in this reward.
- THE SUPER BIG DOG: $325: This is the same as the THE BIG DOG reward except we'll substitute in a DigiPlate Pro bundle instead of a DigiPlate Lite bundle. You can see the specific DigiPlate Pro bundle here that is included in this reward.
- Make sure you choose the right reward as the DigiShade Lites are specific for each MacBook model and size.
- Two of the rewards include our previous Kickstarter project, the DigiPlate. More info on the DigiPlate can be found at www.Digi-Plate.com.
- We haven't settled on a retail price but it will be in the $80-100 range. Once we do our first run and have final costs in hand, we'll be able to determine the final retail price.
Kickstart us the rest of the way, please!
So here is where you come in. We've gone through several prototypes of the DigiShade Lite and have it a point where we're ready to have you help us get over the last hurdle and get it produced. Just like any new product we need to get our manufacturer up to production speed which means 1) some start up costs like CNC programming and setup and 2) a decent initial order so each shade doesn't cost a fortune. With your help we are hoping to get your reward to you in May. We hope that you are inspired and excited by the DigiShade Lite and choose to support the project. Either way please spread the word and share with your friends. THANK YOU!
Risks and challenges
Our risks and challenges on this project are fairly low. The DigiShade Lite will be manufactured entirely in the United States and we already have local manufacturing partners lined up that we have worked with before (we know their capabilities, they know our quality standards). Your pledge is mostly helping us to get our manufacturing setup and to get a decent size minimum order to get the per piece cost down. Really the only risk is if there is a worldwide aluminum shortage in the next 30 days (highly unlikely) and there is a national strike of the CNC Workers Union of America (we made that up)—basically we are saying there isn't much that can delay this project.
We are very realistic and hard working and know what it takes to complete a project like this. The timeline we have set for all the rewards actually already have padding in them so if there any hiccups along the way, we have allotted for them. If there are no hiccups, then we would deliver early like we did on our last Kickstarter project. For now, here is our projected timeline:
April 1-4: order raw materials, begin programming CNC
April 7-11: start testing manufacturing process and quality control
April 14-25: A) send first batch from the quality control run for anodize for Early Bird rewards B) produce all sheet metal parts for remaining rewards
April 21-25: assemble and ship Early Bird rewards
April 21-May 2: anodize all aluminum parts for remaining rewards
May 5-23: assembly of remaining rewards
May 26-30: ship all remaining rewards
- (31 days)