The secret to life on earth is the Ocean.
"Whether we are inveterate inlanders or dwell perpetually on the tide line, we have an oceanic memory. Indeed, such are the correspondences between ocean and our psychic depths that the two might be visible and invisible forms of the same reality."*
"Whole ecosystems, untouched by sunlight, flourish in the sea just as networks of accumulated experience flourish in the psyche, enhancing the waters regardless of our knowledge of their existence."*
I was raised by the knowledgeable instruction of my father, a marine biologist, and my mother, a kindergarten and special ed teacher – both with strong environmental consciences. Their interests fostered in me a sense of wonder and humble appreciation of our oceans.
This years artwork will be inspired by photographs taken near and of the waters of the Atlantic Ocean in Grand-Barachois, NB and Ocean City, NJ. My double exposures often reflect the world I see and feel and are as accurate a representation as I can get. I would like to take these images a step further by painting them in watercolour.
This marks the fourth year I will be attempting to fund the creation of a Calendar to grace your walls. Without pre-orders to help with high production costs, I will not be able to afford to print this project, so if you are interested, please consider pre-ordering to help me make this a reality.
If you do not see a reward combination that suits your needs, please let me know and I will add a custom reward for you.
From Photograph to Painting:
- 11x14 Print from Calendar + Calendar 55$ - (value 70$)
- Two (or more*) 2018 Oceans Calendars - 60$ (value 70$) + additional calendars 25$ ea (value 35$ ea)
- Original Painting 200$ (value 300$) + 25$ for the calendar (value 35$)
Here are some details of what the calendar will look like:
- Printing is done on beautiful linen textured stock from an environmentally friendly printshop based in Montreal.
- Wire-O binding - each calendar will come with a signed limited edition 5x7 print. The image that will printed has not been chosen yet.
- Calendar is approximately 13in x 8.5in (I have noticed that every year, my printshop prints the calendar smaller despite my use of the same template - this is something I hope to rectify this year)
- Available in French or English
Artwork from previous Calendars:
*The Book of Symbols - Reflections on Archetypal Images
Risks and challenges
I am using a printshop that I've had a great working relationship with for the past 8 years on a number of different projects.
However, as is the case when working with third parties, unforeseen challenges can arise. Rest assured that I will keep funders informed of any changes throughout the process.
Despite using the same template every year, my printer has cropped the calendar down smaller and smaller every year. It will be my priority to ensure it is printed the same size as my 2015 calendars.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)