About this project
- More Stretch Goals! We've beaten TEN stretch goals! New professional artwork, cryptography consultation, tons of new rooms, unlimited endings, easter eggs, voice acting - it's insane! See the "Stretch Goals" section below for more details.
- Postcards! For every $10 pledged, you get a postcard mailed to you. These postcards have original art on each, and include lots of content and secrets about Emerald. See the Backer Rewards section for details.
- krangGAMES Abettor Level! At $30 you get seven unique, experimental prototype games from krangGAMES, the developer of Emerald.
The Ship is floating dead in space, adrift in the interstellar void. In zero-gravity you navigate its haunting, labyrinthine corridors. Through flickering terminals you bring electric subsystems back to life. Hidden ciphers and encrypted secrets tease the periphery of your senses. Vivid interactive memories of your past reveal why you're even aboard this vessel. What kind of disaster brought your original mission to a standstill? What is the significance of the word "Emerald"?
- Thomas Was Alone meets Analogue: A Hate Story meets System Shock, but without any gravity.
Emerald is an atmospheric, story-driven action/adventure game. It features a mysterious sci-fi environment with a heavy emphasis on exploration. It is being built for PC, Mac and Linux and is expected to launch on February 13th, 2014.
In Emerald, you must repair your damaged spacecraft in the zero-gravity drift of space. There are many subsystems that have failed, and your life and survival depends on what systems you choose to reactivate.
In between reactivating the Ship's subsystems, you experience intense interactive flashbacks of your old life. How did you get to where you are? What kind of person were you? What is the significance of the word "Emerald"?
The world of Emerald is built into a rich, haunting sci-fi atmosphere. Countless hours have been spent ensuring that the game's technology, though futuristic and conceptual, is rooted in reality.
Much of Emerald's history is found encrypted within the Ship's data systems, waiting for the player to decipher it. There is no gibberish-text; everything has meaning. The story is wide open for interpretation, investigation, and imagination.
Whether you simply play from beginning to end or scrounge for every clue and datum, you'll be left with a rich and reflective experience that has followed Emerald's protagonist across years of time and lightyears of space.
The footage from above is from the first full prototype build of Emerald. It includes all the gameplay, much of the content and nine unique endings.
Emerald was originally conceived at the 2013 Global Game Jam (of which krangGAMES was both a sponsor and participant). It was initially intended to be an online Flash game, but soon grew into something far more substantial.
The prototype is built in Flash, but the final version is constructed in Unity to take advantage of better visual features, optimized performance and the ability to build to virtually any platform, consoles included.
The visual style of Emerald will not stray far from what it is now, but will take advantage of Unity's engine to use better shaders, parallaxing and camera effects. The aesthetics will still have the stylistic vibe pictured here, but will be way slicker and nicer overall.
Emerald is slated to launch on February 13th, 2014.
The Kickstarter funds will be used for three things:
- Development! To fund the development of final build of Emerald over an approximately four-month period, and cover any business costs that are involved.
- Wonderful helpers! To pay all those who've helped Emerald become what it is today. This includes the audio designers at Power Up Audio and artists at Miniboss, who have generously lent their talent pro-bono and have done an amazing job.
- Kickstarter costs! To pay for the Kickstarter fees and Backer Rewards themselves, mainly for development and shipping of the posters.
Any funds gained beyond the Kickstarter goal will go towards focusing more effort directly onto Emerald. $5,800 alone is not enough to work full-time on a single project for four months, and my budget/timeline does allow for some wiggle room to work on external contracts. Exceeding the exact Kickstarter goal will let me focus more on Emerald, benefitting the game overall.
Stretch goals have now been announced! See below for a list of all rewards, and descriptions of each reward.
- $5800 (BOOYAH): The Base Game. Emerald!
- $6000 (BOOYAH): Ten Endings. One more detailed ending will be added to the game, bringing the total up to ten.
- $6250 (BOOYAH): Two New Rooms in the Ship. Two unique new areas will be created, giving more details and environment to explore.
- $6500 (BOOYAH): Twelve Endings. Two more endings bringing the value to twelve.
- $7000 (BOOYAH): Five-plus New Rooms in the Ship. At least five rooms will be added, with the possibility of more.
- $7500 (BOOYAH): Fifteen-plus Endings. Three more endings, with the possibility of more.
- $8000 (BOOYAH): Professional Voice Acting. With the help of Power Up Audio, professional voice actors will be brought in to lend their talents to Emerald.
- $8400 (BOOYAH): Easter Egg Pass. A complete work pass on the game will be performed, specifically with the intention of adding unique easter eggs, secrets and bonus content.
- $8800 (BOOYAH): Dynamic, Virtually Unlimited Endings. Some endings will be designed to be influenced by extremely subtle, personal actions performed in the game, and will change on the fly. The result is that there will be emergent and original endings, making the Emerald experience vastly more personal and emotional.
- $9750 (BOOYAH): Full Professional Art Design. Professional artists (who, exactly, is to be determined, but I have several interested parties) will be brought onboard to thoroughly enhance the visual aesthetic of Emerald's gameplay.
- $10500 (BOOYAH): Hire a Cryptography Consultant. I'll visit local police stations and universities, and speak to consultants who deal with cryptography on a professional level, adding an extreme authenticity to Emerald found in precious few games.
- $11000: "Takeoff" Story Sequence. A longer interactive gameplay sequence will be added that explores the Ship's takeoff from Home, before its fated journey began.
- $12000: New Music (at least two new songs). At least two new tracks will be composed for Emerald, again by the extremely talented folks at Power Up Audio.
- $12500: iOS/Android Ports. Emerald will be ported to be playable on mobile tablet devices, and ideally on mobile phones as well (depending on whether or not it plays well on such a small screen).
- $13500: Physical Game Box and OST Disc. A physical box copy of Emerald will be created with a playable game disc. The OST will also be provided as a CD.
- $14250: Physical Art Book and Dev Diary. An enhanced physical copy of "Encrypted Gemstones: the Emerald Developer Diary" will be printed, including unique game art, concept art and sketches from Emerald.
- $15000: PS Vita Port. Emerald will be ported to be playable on the PS Vita.
- $16000: "Outside the Hull" Gameplay Sequence. A section of gameplay will take place outside the hull of the Ship, adding a completely new and totally unique area to explore in Emerald.
- $17500: PS3 Port. Emerald will be ported to the Playstation 3 and, as soon as possible, Playstation 4.
- $18000: Physical Version of all story documents at "Log.txt" Level. The story-related documents at Log.txt Level will actually be created in the real world. Handwritten crew accounts, voice recordings, images and other media will be created and shipped to you in a big old box.
- $21000: Emerald Figurines (characters, objects, and the Ship). Small plastic figurines will be cast and created. These figurines will be of characters from Emerald, unique objects in the game, and of the Ship itself.
- $25000: Wii U Port. Emerald will be ported to the Wii U.
- $25000+: Beyond? Who knows... I haven't designed more tiers than $25k's worth, but if you keep throwing money at me I'm sure I'll find an excellent use for it. Be warned, though - I won't risk expanding Emerald to the point where a February 13th, 2013 launch date is no longer feasible.
There's a bit more information available on the Stretch Goals Announcement Update.
Please note: Platform ports are entirely dependant on the companies who own those platforms, such as Sony, Nintendo, and Apple, and are also dependent on how soon I can secure licenses for Unity for those platforms. I'll work very hard to launch Emerald on all platforms as close to the primary launch date as possible (Feb 13th, 2013) but there may be factors that are entirely out of my control when it comes to porting Emerald onto these systems. It is NOT guaranteed that Emerald will launch on all platforms on the primary launch date. That said, I've spoken to folks at these companies, they're lovely people and are extremely helpful. Fingers crossed!
All tiers include one DRM-free copy of the game for PC, Mac or Linux. All tiers include all previous tier rewards.
- "Echoes" Level ($9): You get the original soundtrack as well. The soundtrack is normally $5 alone, which our on-staff economist has determined is a $1 saving - final copy of the game and a high-res desktop wallpaper (pictured below) notwithstanding.
Postcards ($10/each): For every $10 you pledge, you get one postcard mailed to you! Every postcard features original artwork by indie game developers, artists, friends and well-wishers. The postcards also include a short message from one of the Ship's crew members, an in-game code used to activate some of the Ship's emergency functions, and an encrypted secret.
At $100, you get ALL the postcards! There are about 15 in total, though that number does seem to be rising ;)
Note: There is no international shipping fee for these postcards. I love you too.
- "Alpha" Level ($15): You'll receive a copy of Emerald at its current state of development - the Flash prototype pictured in the video. Note that this version is early, kinda buggy, and is not representative of the final version of the game. You also receive TWO high-res desktop wallpapers. The first wallpaper is pictured above, the second is the "the Ship" poster that's available at "Cartographer Level", below.
- "Log.txt" Level ($25): You get three new things! First, a collection of digital documents from the Ship itself, such as audio logs, crew journals, status reports, infographics and encrypted messages. The story of Emerald goes remarkably deep, and these documents give an internal perspective to the happenings of the Ship. You'll also receive a digital copy of Encrypted Gemstones: the Emerald Developer Diary, a .pdf document of behind-the-scenes images, diagrams and commentary about the game design and development processes of Emerald. Finally, you'll receive three of twenty-five secret codes that unlock certain things within Emerald, like in-game secrets, hidden menu options, or even easter eggs. The digital story documents will be delivered about a month before game launch, and the developer diary and codes will be delivered at game launch.
"krangGAMES Abettor" Level ($30): Support not just Emerald, but krangGAMES as a whole! Get 7 experimental unreleased games made by me (Nick Yonge) over the last few years at krangGAMES. For a detailed list of the games and their descriptions, please view the Day 14 Mega Update.
Also get first notice when development of krangGAMES' next major open-world project, Overworld (working title), begins - as well as the first available prototype of Overworld!
"Personal Trust" Level ($45): Customize your version of Emerald! Get TWO specially dedicated versions of Emerald, with a unique intro sequence. This new intro is an interactive dream sequence that is custom tailored to immerse you - specifically YOU - into Emerald right from the start. Since it includes TWO customized versions of Emerald, you can customize one for yourself and the second as a gift. Emerald is a deep, story based game; if you have any friends who enjoy thoughtful stories, this would make an excellent gift for them.
Add $15 for additional customized copies of Emerald. Gift versions include the OST. For more details, please read the Personal Trust Announcement Update.
Also note: ALL VERSIONS OF EMERALD AT $45 AND HIGHER INCLUDE THE "PERSONAL TRUST" REWARDS! I can't edit reward descriptions after they've been backed, but all tiers at $45 and above let you customize two copies of Emerald.
Behold, this is the poster for "Cartographer Level":
- "Cartographer" Level ($55): You get one "the Ship" poster, pictured above. It's 16"x12" in landscape orientation.
- "Terminal" Level ($80): You get one "Terminal" poster, pictured above. It's 24"x36" (standard movie poster size) in landscape orientation.
For both Cartographer and Terminal Levels (and all subsequent levels), please add $10 for non-Canadian shipping. Ships within one month of campaign completion.
"In Memoriam" Level ($90): By popular demand, another in-game feature tier! You will be featured in-game in the Ship's Memory Banks, a directory of individuals that somehow affected the Ship in the past - previous crew members, loved ones, old friends, investors, skilled enemies, or something else entirely. You can choose what type of impact you had on the Ship, customize your in-game appearance, and give yourself a brief personality and history.
Also note: the Memory Banks were digitally secured against tampering. With my help we'll create the encryptions that hold your data secure!
- "Fated Crewman" Level ($99): You will be featured in-game as one of the crew members aboard the Ship. You will be listed on the Ship's crew roster and will be able to customize your in-game appearance. If you would like, you can write a Crew Log detailing what your character did in the Ship before the calamity. These crew logs must fit within the mythos of Emerald, so I will help you write and edit them... but you will be able to add your own personal flair to the game!
"Luminous Flux" Level ($125): Get the "Luminous Flux" Gallery Book, a physical book which features printed editions of every piece of artwork from Emerald, all the postcard images, all the promotional artwork, and a few screenshots from in-game.
Note that this is a physical art book, whereas "Encrypted Gemstones" at the $25 "Log.txt" Level is a digital dev diary.
- "Extrasolar Beauty" Level ($140): Get everything at the $125 "Luminous Flux" Level, PLUS a signed Emerald "Lumens" 24x36" Movie-style Poster (pictured below).
- "XO" Level ($213): Similar to Fated Crewman, though it's limited to just one spot and thus has more impact on the game. On top of creating a crew log, you can help me encrypt hidden data into the game. It's up to you how much you want to participate, but we will collaborate to define the origin of the Ship itself. This will be revealed by three messages scattered through the game for players to uncover.
Below is a brief history of krangGAMES. There's a presskit available if you're into that kind of thing.
I've been working as an independent game developer since I founded krangGAMES in December of 2010, shortly after graduating from VFS with a diploma in Game Design. I've mostly developed Flash games since then, making most notably the games i saw her standing there, Nyan Cat FLY!, and PRIOR. Collectively my games have gotten over thirty million plays, and have been nominated in the Canadian Videogame Awards twice, once as a nominee (PRIOR) and once as a finalist (i saw her standing there).
Though I usually work solo on projects, I love working with other artists, developers and designers too!
The "Terminal" image (used as the main image of this campaign) was illustrated by Pedro Medeiros of MiniBoss. Hailing from Brazil, MiniBoss has both created many of their own games, and worked on such awesome indie projects as Deep Dungeons Of Doom, Towerfall, and Out There Somewhere.
The album art (pictured in the OST link below) was created by concept artist Trudi Castle. A wonderfully skilled person, her professional work has included such projects as Halo CE: Anniversary, Crysis 2, and Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. She's also worked with plenty of indie studios like Exit Strategy Entertainment, East Side Games and Phosphor Games.
Her personal works are pretty whimsical, too.
Sound design was done by the endlessly talented folks at Power Up Audio, including SFX design and music composition.
Power Up Audio's varied portfolio includes Brace Yourself Games (Crypt of the NecroDancer), Matt Makes Games (Towerfall), Quark Games (Champs Battlegrounds), Fathom Interactive (Sky Pirates of Neo Terra), the Coastal First Nations Group (Bears Forever), Kerberos Productions Inc. (Sword of the Stars: The Pit, and Ground Pounders which has its own awesome Kickstarter campaign too!). Many of those folks have had great things to say about Power Up. I'm extremely glad they loved Emerald enough to work on it!
*Master Chief Supreme-Executive Officer Of Extreme Justice. Basically a needlessly lofty version of CEO. When I found out I could legally define my own job title, I naturally had to have a bit of fun with it.
Emerald is very much a project of passion. I would love nothing more than to bring the game to fruition these next few months, and with your help we can make that a reality.
If you're interested in Emerald too, please share it on Facebook or Twitter! Kickstarter campaigns live or die by word-of-mouth referral, and every post and tweet is valuable.
Note: Social Sharing links are at the top of this page, right under the video.
Thanks for reading! I hope you'll help me make Emerald a reality ♥
-Nick Yonge, krangGAMES
Risks and challenges
This will be krangGAMES' first for-sale project. As such there will likely be business and set-up costs and work that I haven't considered.
I'm fortunate to have enough close friends working in the game design industry that I have access to plenty of advice and guidance, and have built three weeks into the end-of-project schedule to allow for "flex time", to cover any unexpected tasks.
Ideally, if the number of unexpected tasks stays low (fingers crossed, but ever unlikely!), I can use this time for MORE polish on the game, and perhaps adding more hidden secrets (or even easter eggs).Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)