-- THE ART -- THE ARTIST -- THE DECK --
"NEWTROPOLIS & The Fantastic Fur" includes 56 unique pieces of original artwork from celebrated U.K. Playing Card Artist, Peter Wood. Peter has drawn decks for many different companies over the years including not only Newt's Playing Cards, but also US Games and Piatnik. Just shy of 20 have been published and another 30+ have been created as part of or one offs for various collectors worldwide. We are proud to continue the legacy with this unique, Limited Edition deck of cards that includes your normal 52 cards plus 4 jokers...all drawn by Peter Wood.
This Kickstarter campaign features a LIMITED EDITION, numbered deck of cards that takes you on a journey that is reminiscent of comic book heroes of the past.
Here are a few words from Peter Wood:
-- WHAT MAKES THIS DECK DIFFERENT --
- Strict Limited Edition run of 1152 decks of cards or 8 cases.
- Numbered Edition, Gold Colored Decal or label on each deck.
- Printed design inside of the tuck box.
- Decks will sell for $12 plus shipping after shipment arrives.
- Uncut sheets will ONLY be available here on Kickstarter.
- If we print a "normal", retail deck it will not include bonus jokers, labels or foil back (if stretch goal is met).
-- WHAT IS SEMI-TRANSFORMATIONAL ART --
This type of art isn't really new as it has been around since the late 1800s. As the video states multiple times, at NewtsGames.com we just happen to love this type of art so much that we continue to create more decks with it. In the "old days" this type of art was called "semi-transformational" but we like to call it "hidden images" or "seek-n-find". "Semi-transformation" just means that the suit signs or "pips" are hidden in the picture...which is exactly what these decks do. They are 'transformed' in a subtle and fun way just like they did back in the late 1800s.
-- THE STORY BEHIND THE DECK --
"NEWTROPOLIS & The Fantastic Fur" Is the latest deck of cards created by UK artist Peter Wood exclusively for Newt's Playing Cards! Peter has always been a huge fan of comic book superheroes and remembers reading them as a young boy a 'few' years ago. Likewise, he loves to draw teddy bears. Together, this deck features Peter's "Super Teddy Bears", straight from his own imagination. While he freely admits that some are parodies of famous comic book heroes and villains, most are inspired from every day life.
Similar to some of our other decks like "WILD!", "Cats - Pips-N-Paws" and "Busy Bears", Peter has created "NEWTROPOLIS & The Fantastic Fur" in the same semi-transformational format. At Newt's Playing Cards we often call them "seek and find" playing cards to help folks better understand what the deck is. The basic scoop is the deck has hidden Pips (hearts, clubs, diamonds and spades) on each card. As an added dimension Peter has also hidden the symbol of Newtropolis, a hexagon, throughout the deck.
-- WHAT IS NEWTROPOLIS? --
NEWTROPOLIS is the main city of Hugobia (The Land Of Bears). What makes this city so unique is not the buildings or it's location, but many of it's inhabitants. NEWTROPOLIS is the home of a host of powerful and very special teddy bears who have a vast range of special powers. Some are gained from unique circumstances, some from accidents and some from years of dedication to their craft. These 'Super' bears are joined by their desire to rid Hugobia of all evil and wrong. They are divided into 3 main 'factions': The Diamonds, Hearts & Clubs. They are all connected in their battle with evil via BRAIN (Ace of Clubs) who has the mental ability to contact anyone at any time and read their minds whilst planting his own thoughts within his subjects heads. All is not well in NEWTROPOLIS! Although the 'good' bears in Hugobia derive much of their energy from the honey combs pure honey, there is a mutant strain of this food that was infected many years ago - some say deliberately. For those bears that eat from this source it eats away at their more positive traits and has created the villain 'Spades', which are the sworn enemies of NEWTROPOLIS. They also have a wide range of bears with special powers of their own.
And so the battle for NEWTROPOLIS begins. Heroes versus Villains. Good versus evil. One lovable hug at a time...but who will win?
Oh, and you better watch out for the "Joker" bears. Who knows what side they align with!
-- ABOUT THE CARDS --
The decks will be printed by one of our regular manufacturers in China. The quality of the deck is very important to us. Over the years we have worked with various suppliers in other countries and the couple that we use now provide the best service and excellent quality products.
Here are basic details of the decks:
- 300 gsm (10pt) stock
- Block out core to make sure cards can't be seen through
- 56 cards per deck (52 Normal, 4 Jokers/Wild Cards)
- Poker Size (2-1/2 x 3-1/2)
- Matte, Linen Finish
- 4 color front, 4 color back, 4 color tuck box - 300gsm (10 pt stock)
- Shrink wrap around tuck box
- Print INSIDE of tuck box.
- INCLUDES LIMITED EDITION DECK SEALS or numbered labels on all of the decks!
-- OTHER DECKS BY NEWT'S & PETER WOOD? --
Newt's has been publishing decks of cards for almost 15 years now. Usually small "Indie" style runs. While we have done quite a few decks with this semi-transformational style art. We have also published political cards, other forms of art and historical decks. As collectors we ended up taking our passion for collecting playing cards to a much larger scale and it has been a blast.
Shown above you can see some of the other decks we have published with artwork done by Peter Wood. There are actually a couple of "rewards" you can get to help fund this new deck and get some of the others too. It's a great way to add to your collection. One of the reward levels is for the last 12 known decks of the "Chamber of 52 Cards" which is a limited edition deck of 500 decks worldwide. Before we launched our first KS campaign there were more of these, but now we are down to only these 12 because quite a few sold on our site.
-- CARD BACK DESIGN --
Keeping with the tradition of "hidden pips", our card back features a honey comb design with various flourishes and the "leaders" of the Good and the Evil bears.
We've just enhanced the "HONEY COLLECTORS 12 PACK"! Now it not only includes some of the limited items we have on some of Peter's artwork, but there will ONLY be 5 of them available. Basically because that is all of the uncut sheets we have of Genesis and Pips and Paws. So far we have not found uncuts of any of the other decks.
So if you want to collect pretty much everything we have from Peter Wood, then this new level is for you. We are even going to get Peter to sign the others decks we've printed! So you'll not only get a signed copy of NEWTROPOLIS, but also of WILD!, Pips and Paws and Busy Bears. We will leave it up to you if you want us to open the Genesis deck and have it signed or not. The uncut sheets in this reward level will NOT be signed.
~~ S T R E T C H G O A L S ~~
1) Reach $2,500 = The FIRST 50 Backers whose pledge is $40 or more will get a FREE deck of Peter Wood's other deck of teddy bear playing cards called, BUSY BEARS.
2) Reach $3,500 = The black areas on card back will be printed with FOIL. This is similar to what you see on various collectible card games but instead we will do it on the card back and they are playing cards.
3) Reach $5,000 = We will make a standard retail edition available. A minimum of 1,000 decks from the run of the retail deck will be donated to hospitals to be given out to children who are diagnosed with diabetes. No foil back, no printing inside tuck box. The jokers will include information or artwork to encourage children and parents. Backers can increase their pledge at a rate of $5 per deck (international add additional $3 per deck for shipping). If you wish to sponsor some of the decks given away you can do so and just let us know. Retail price on our site for this normal edition will be $6. Here on Kickstarter you will not be able to order this retail deck without backing the limited edition first.
4) Reach $8,000 = The Limited Edition tuck box will be embossed.
5) Reach $13,000 = The "Retail" decks will be printed by US Playing Cards. If this happens some of the art will change slightly as USPC is unable to print the deck as designed.
-- ADD-ONS --
After thinking this through more, we have chosen to not offer add-ons with this campaign at this time. This campaign is all about this unique deck of limited edition playing cards and the goal of being able to create one that includes info on diabetes. Basically, we want to stay dedicated to what we know best, playing cards. So if there are any type of add-ons we will keep it playing card related or at a minimum related directly to Peter Wood.
PLEASE NOTE: Images shown are meant to be a mock up to help you better understand the basic design and/or layout. As we work to fine tune this project the art may look different on the final product.
Risks and challenges
The art is complete. There may be tweaks on the art as we go along. Delivery date is set for January of 2015 just to play it safe. Some of the signed decks will take a little longer to deliver as we live in the US and Peter lives in the UK.
We do the shipping ourselves as we are already used to shipping orders from our eCommerce site. All of your Kickstarter orders will be imported in to our site and tracking numbers will be sent from there once your decks ship.
Our first goal is to raise the minimum amount needed to complete the project and fulfill all rewards. Our dream is to reach the 3rd stretch goal which is a minimum of $5,000. At that point we will create the diabetic retail version of the deck too. We will be donating a minimum of 1,000 of the retail decks for children diagnosed with diabetes.
We print a minimum of a couple dozen different decks of cards every year and have become accustomed to the playing card process. We have a close relationship with our manufacturers who have consistently been producing decks of cards for us for several years. The quality of the product is of utmost importance to us as a company, and as a playing card collector.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)