About this project
- Update #10: Stretch goal #1 reached! Plus NEW "A LA CARTE" items!
- Update #9: New Tier rewards, survey results, and spotlight on House Whisperclub
Beyond the plains of Collier Bluff and the glistening towers of Goldstaxx lies the land of Cassyno, a world of dark fantasy, magic, and games of chance created by French comic illustrator and concept artist Bengal. It is a land divided into four kingdoms, controlled by four powerful Houses, each possessing access to a unique source of magical energy. These Houses have held a tenuous peace with each other since the great War of Seven, but secret agendas have been bubbling beneath the surface for some time now, and soon the Grand Game will begin again…
This exciting new world, and the powerful ruling individuals within each House, have been purposefully designed to represent the four suits of a standard deck of playing cards: House Lockheart, House Ironspade, House Whisperclub, and House Diamondshard. Each kingdom differs in aesthetic, politics, magic, and agenda, and all of the unique ruling characters have intertwined stories that set the stage for numerous competitions and challenges. This wonderful new world could be described as Alice in Wonderland meets Game of Thrones.
Far from just another deck of playing cards, this set is as much a gallery of original character art by Bengal, as well as the fantastic setting for numerous stories of magical intrigue, medieval espionage, and dramatic conflict between four unique kingdoms. Each face card, plus the "knight" (the 10 card), features a key character from the world, each of whom possessing both strengths and weaknesses, allies and foes, allowing for unique original gameplay as well as an abundance of exciting stories to tell. With 20 original characters to draw from, the dramatic combinations are outstanding.
Fans of Bengal’s work, comic book illustration, and concept art will love the gorgeous original character design created specifically for this deck.
Fans of fantasy fiction will be engaged by the intricate politics and lore weaving these characters and their houses together and against each other.
Fans of tabletop gaming will be thrilled by the numerous original card games designed for these characters, each of which are drawn from within the fictional world’s setting.
Magicians and fans of slight-of-hand magic can enhance their illusions by incorporating the characters into their performance narrative.
This unique project has been designed specifically as an alternative to yet-another art book (which Bengal hopes to produce definitively in the near future), to be presented instead as a full set of 52 standard sized playing cards, printed by renowned playing card company USPCC (makers of Bicycle brand playing cards), packaged in a custom tuck box, also featuring original artwork.
This deck will be supplemented by a 48 page World-Game booklet featuring historical lore and character descriptions, setting the stage for a wide variety of stories and challenges. This booklet will also contain rules for five original card games drawn from within the fictional world that can be played with the deck itself. These games range from traditional games redefined to incorporate the characters to competitive games that draw upon the fictional strengths and weaknesses of each house. These games will draw heavily on the fiction, occupation, strengths and weaknesses of each House, character, and card value to add easy-to-pick up strategy and depth to each unique game.
In addition this booklet will feature original contributions from other well-known artists, including Claire Wendling, Mahmud Asrar, Kim Jung Gi, Enrique Fernandez, Joe Madureira, Ben Caldwell, and Marguerite Sauvage.
Finally, to further support this core project goal, an additional, bonus deck of cards will be offered featuring “Bengal’s Cosplay Girls” – a complete deck of 52 cards featuring a selection of never-before published works from his Griseline sketch collection. Each card will feature a different girl in a different costume design, some of them familiar, others wholly original. This bonus deck will only be printed in a limited run, and will only be produced for this campaign.
While we would be happy with any show of support, you can receive a single core deck for as little as $10.
- Additional decks can be added a la carte to any tier for $12 each. (Limit of 5 extra Cassyno decks imposed by Kickstarter -- please contact us of you would like more.)
A Limited Edition Joker card will be added to special decks, available only to those who pledge $15 or more.
The World-Game booklet is included in the GAME BOX, available for pledges of $25 or more, which packages one deck and one World Book into a single box. Plus, at this level, your name will be printed in the back of the booklet as thanks for your support.
- Additional Game Boxes can be added a la carte to any tier for $25 each. (Limit of 5 extra Game Boxes imposed by Kickstarter -- please contact us of you would like more.)
The bonus “Cosplay Girl” deck will be included with any pledge of $50 or more.This deck will only be offered through this campaign, and will NOT be reprinted again. Each Cosplay Girl deck will be signed by the artist.
- JUST ADDED!!! Additional Cosplay decks can be added a la carte to any tier for $25 each. (Limit of 2 extra Cosplay decks imposed by us, due to it's limited run.)
A limited number of uncut sheets of both decks -- the Cassyno deck and the Cosplay Girl deck -- will be available for collectors and fans at the $45 and $75 level, respectively. Get BOTH uncut sheets at the $90 level!!
- JUST ADDED!!! Additional uncut sheets of either deck can be added a la carte to any tier for $22 each. (Limit of 1 extra uncut sheet per design imposed by us, due to it's limited run.)
An exclusive Tshirt, featuring one of the original illustrations, and produced by We Love Fine, will be available at the $65 level.The final design will be defined by backer popular vote as the pieces are completed.
- Additional shirts can be added a la carte to any tier for $20 each. (Limit of 5 extra tshirts imposed by Kickstarter -- please contact us of you would like more.)
A portfolio set of eight 11x17 cardstock poster prints selected by the artist from the complete set will be available at the $100 tier. Each piece will feature the original character art digitally printed on sturdy cardstock and suitable for framing.
- Additional portfolios can be added a la carte to any tier for $30 each. (Limit of 5 extra Portfolio sets imposed by Kickstarter -- please contact us of you would like more.)
Signed copies of Bengal’s first two US Edition graphic novels, NAJA and MEKA, can be had at the $150 level. Each hardcover book, published by Magnetic Press, is 8.5x11” and features the complete collection of each respective title. Naja is 248 pages, while Meka is 96 pages.
- JUST ADDED!!! Signed copies of either book can be added a la carte to any tier -- MEKA for $30 each or NAJA for $40 each (plus extra shipping, +$6 US / +$18 Int'l for first book, +$4 US / +$12 Int'l each additional book).
For $225, you can OWN THE ORIGINAL LINE ART created to produce one of the portraits! This one-of-a-kind, original artwork will be offered at a first-come, first-served basis. With only 22 portraits in the initial plan, quantities are limited!
- JUST ADDED!!! Original art can be added a la carte to any tier for $150 each. (Quantities limited to what pieces remain available.)
Bengal will illustrate a figure of your choice on a blank “sketch card” at the $300 level.
In summary, here's a chart of what is included with each support tier:
And to reiterate, you can add the following items to any tier "a la carte" by simply adding the appropriate amount to your pledge and letting us know via message what you are adding. (Please note that there is no additional shipping to add one a la carte item, but adding 2 or more a la carte items may require additional postage, depending on weight and quantity of your full order.)
- Additional CORE DECKS can be added a la carte for $12 each.
- Additional COSPLAY DECKS can be added a la carte for $25 each.
- Additional UNCUT SHEETS can be added a la carte for $22 each.
- Additional TSHIRTS can be added a la carte for $20 each.
- Additional PORTFOLIOS can be added a la carte for $30 each.
- ORIGINAL ART can be added a la carte for $150 each.
- SIGNED COPIES OF NAJA can be added a la carte for $40 each (plus additional S/H).
- SIGNED COPIES OF MEKA can be added a la carte for $30 each (plus additional S/H).
While we are focused primarily on the original project as presented, we can now offer additional features to complement our initial goal:
- $21,000 STRETCH GOAL REACHED!!! We will enlarge the size of the World book from 5.5 x 8.5” to 6.625 x 10.25” (traditional comic book size), and it will come to you bagged and boarded. Please note that the World Book will feature a cardstock cover and 100# interior paper weight, regardless of size, so it will certainly be much higher quality and thickness than what you might imagine from a “standard floppy comic book”.
- $25,000 STRETCH GOAL REACHED!!! Bengal will create new character illustrations for ALL 52 cards – not just the face cards included in the original goal, but all numbered cards as well. These characters will represent townsfolk and citizens within each kingdom, each with their own occupations and abilities that contribute to and modify many of the game rules included in the World Book.
- If we reach $30,000, we will expand the World-Game book to 64 pages, with more fiction and two more card games.
And if we reach higher levels, we can offer things such as foil stamps on certain cards or the tuck box, customized dice, custom chips and challenge coins, and a custom Cassyno pouch to contain them all. As we meet each target, we will announce new items.
Bengal is most well known in Europe for illustrating several popular BD (short for ‘bande desinee’, the French term for ‘comic book’), including MEKA, NAJA, and LUMINAE (each of which will be published in English for the first time this year by Magnetic Press). His unique style blends the dynamism of Japanese manga and anime with a digitally painted texture usually reserved for concept art and cover painting.
He also co-founded the popular French online artist community CFSL.net (also known as “Café Salé”), which has produced numerous workshops and art books featuring dozens upon dozens of professional artists and illustrators, giving forum to their work and work opportunities.
His current work and daily sketches can be seen at his tumblr page, Griselines.
Risks and challenges
The only risk -- and really the purpose of this Kickstarter campaign -- is funding. We need your help to allow Bengal the freedom to complete his vision for this world, specifically the final artwork. Production vendors for all materials have been identified and priced out, and game design is largely based on modifications of tried-and-true classic (public domain) card games re-purposed to be set within the fictional world of Cassyno.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)