Share this project


Share this project

TUG is a multiplayer open-world sandbox-RPG using new technology and social sciences to directly involve players in the game’s design.


TUG is a multiplayer open-world sandbox-RPG using new technology and social sciences to directly involve players in the game’s design.
7,231 backers pledged $293,184 to help bring this project to life.

Important Alpha News

We know you're all excited for Alpha, but unfortunately, we have hit a nasty bug in the downloader/delivery system... And now, we have to make a decision, as a community, on how to proceed.

Alpha backers, please take a moment to read this post, and let us know how you think we should handle the situation:

Please reach out to other members of the community and get them involved in this discussion. This project is about all of us, and we do not want to make this call without your input. Our apologies for this predicament as a whole.


Only backers can post comments. Log In
    1. Scott Kennedy on September 14, 2013

      How come there have been no updates since mid July?

    2. Missing avatar

      Henrique Vignon on July 16, 2013

      By funky sprite happenings I mean funky particle happenings... dunno where I got sprite from...

    3. Missing avatar

      Henrique Vignon on July 16, 2013

      I like it, of course this is just to showcase the terrain but it already shows much promise, I love the sound work, really ambient, I much prefer something like this over constant music playing.

      Question, where would one go to report bugs? I found some funky sprite happenings and some weird tears on caves ;P

    4. Missing avatar

      GlenRobbySeth on July 16, 2013

      @Nerd Kingdom I've recently tried to recover my account info, seeing as how my password does not work, and when i send in my email info to get the recovery, this error screen pops up entitled as follows: Server Error in '/NKFoundation_deploy' Application. I'm not too certain on what to do.

    5. Nerd Kingdom Creator on July 16, 2013

      We're currently still testing the launcher... there are still a couple more bugs to iron out. Once again, the game itself is ready to go, so as soon as we fix the issues with the launcher, we'll be good to go. Not gonna commit to an ETA just yet, though... don't wanna burn ourselves again! :P

    6. Jared walter on July 16, 2013

      Any update?
      Any thing would be great

    7. Missing avatar

      Aaron Froom on July 16, 2013

      I hope all goes well with getting the security in place. I for one am excited to see this game through to the end.

      Is there any idea if/when the kickstarter upgrades will be available? I would very much love to play in the alpha. :D

    8. Vivienne Callaghan on July 16, 2013

      Are you folk getting enough sleep? Water, drink plenty of fresh water (may make you pee more but it will make your liver and kidneys happy). A little meditation would be advantageous too, if not your thing, something that really floats your boat. Your happy, the game will be happy and we will all be happy....or something along those lines O.O

    9. Wes Oldenbeuving on July 16, 2013

      Relax and take some time to get the first alpha done with the download/delivery system. Working many long nights only tends to produce more bugs, so don't over-work yourselves either!

    10. J "teK" Lew on July 16, 2013

      No big deal to me that you are waiting to release until TUG is in true Alpha form. I was on a boat on lake Coeur d'Alene anyways! I only wish you guys would have an Alpha Live Chat Party to go with it. *wink wink* Matt had it right, you guys need your 4 S's... Sleep, Sh!t, Shave (optional), and Shower (Not Optional...ever). Then code... and there is a clever "for loop" for that but I'm going to bed! PEACE!

    11. Matt Cacioppo on July 16, 2013

      I'm glad you guys are holding off till it is complete. I think it is the right decision. Don't worry about letting anyone down. Just by alerting us as soon as the problem arose and asking for everyone's opinion before making a decision you have proven to us just how much you truly meant it when you said you would value our input every step of the way. Even as it is unfortunate we will have to wait a little longer, I am almost glad that it has turned out this way as it has truly allowed me to realize just how much we can trust what you have been telling us from the very start and how you truly meant all of it. Best of luck to you all with fixing the issue. Don't push yourselves too hard. You all need sleep too!

    12. Nerd Kingdom Creator on July 16, 2013

      So, we've decided to hold off on launching for tonight until we have the authentication measures complete. The good news is that we've made astonishing progress towards fixing the issue and getting everything working properly… but we still need to do a tad bit more testing to make sure it works completely and effectively. We feel confident that it will be ready very quickly, but we're going to hold off for tonight, as everyone is just run ragged after a 14 hr day.

      Thank you ALL once again for your thoughtful insights and replies. This was a tough call, but we're lucky to have such an awesome community who are as invested in the project as you are! We'll make sure to get out a progress report out to you guys as soon as possible tomorrow morning. And as for us, we'll be up working into the night to make sure everything is prepped for tomorrow and that the remainder of this launch goes as smoothly as possible!

      We apologize again for any disappointment, and we sincerely promise to do our best to not make that mistake again.

      Thanks again for all your support and input!

    13. BorgKitten on July 16, 2013

      Yes Nerd Kingdom, thank you for letting us have a say one way or the other :)

    14. Christian Breitenstein on July 16, 2013

      And thank you for discussing this with us in the first place! :D

    15. Christian Breitenstein on July 16, 2013

      My vote (Alpha-Backer) is on "release now, but change the title to Alpha-Demo", much like Mike Pierce.
      If, everyone decides to wait, we wait. A couple of days more or less makes no difference... the game will be great, even in its infant alpha stage. The fruit pieces in my yoghurt are telling me that. ;-D

    16. Missing avatar

      Anthony Lowery on July 16, 2013

      I would definitely hold off. Waiting till things are secure and that backers (who know what the product in its current state is) get to have the alpha for feedback. It would be terrible if the current build got out and someone assumed it was indicative of the final product.

      It easy to say that "well alpha users are just jealous" but that's not the case. It's simply that the alpha users will know what they are getting because they opted in for that. Some random dude on the internet will not, and you risk putting out a bad image for your company and your game. (Especially since technically all alphas by the definition are done on site)

    17. Joshua on July 15, 2013

      Might as well wait until you have your secure delivery system working. This early on, there's no huge rush, and there's potentially a lot to lose by letting early demo versions out into the wild.

    18. Miau-Nie Eng on July 15, 2013

      I would prefer to wait for the secure release. Great things shouldn't be rushed and it's great how you considered our opinions as backers of alpha :)

    19. Nathan Maynard on July 15, 2013

      Dying to play!thats all I can say

    20. Eli Butcher on July 15, 2013

      I, for one, greatly appreciate the fact that Nerd Kindgom has actually thought about consulting the backers on this though. It seems like the right thing to do, and a wise decision that shows they care about the people funding the project. Thanks guy, I'll be backing any future projects you put out as well!

    21. Eli Butcher on July 15, 2013

      I would say to put out the insecure link tonight. It's one look, not updated and gives everyone a quick glimpse of what's in store.

    22. Matthew Peck on July 15, 2013

      I see the question boiling down to two fundamental interests:

      1) Reserving the alpha entirely to those who funded at the alpha level. There is a non-trivial proportion of the alpha-eligible group that jealously defends their exclusivity, even if the access afforded to those outside the group would be severely limited, as in this case. Those of this ilk tend to be vocal, even vociferous. Offending them would result in significant complaining on the forums and here, though their ire would be short-lived as today's version became obsolete and non-alpha backers lost access to the latest version.

      2) Releasing something when you scheduled to release something. There is a gratifyingly disproportionate amount of support among those who back Kickstarter projects for taking the time to get something right. However, it seems what's not right, in this case, is not the product itself, but merely the gateway restricting access. There is considerable good will and cache to be gained by releasing on schedule, ancillary security issue or no. Your first scheduled target is the most important target to hit, and success or failure in this regard has long-lasting influence on people's perception of the product and the producer's ability to deliver.

      I think you have a pretty easy answer here: release now, and then immediately again once the security issue is resolved. Those with "free" access will still have the same thing as those with legitimate alpha access, for a short time, but you will have created a psychological expectation that the door is closed, and that the path forward is set aright. That is, you will have done so among those who cared in the first place. I don't think you can meaningfully lose with this approach, but you will have gained good will and positive expectation among those who are influenced by accomplishment, rather than emotion.

    23. Missing avatar

      Dakota Mills on July 15, 2013

      I really think it should be up to us alpha testers. I am okay with releasing it now and letting pirates do what they do best. Because honestly they will probably find a way to pirate it anyways. Besides, if you release it now, there will be a wave of real alpha testers downloading, then pirates because it will take time for the link to get out there, after that it will be mixed but hopefully calm enough to not even matter.

    24. Missing avatar

      Althis on July 15, 2013

      Alpha backer here.

      It depends a lot of how you handle it publicly. As people have said, we all can wait and we don't care if people see this early alpha. The matter is, do you want them to see it?

      I don't know how feature complete the alpha is, but if you are ok with it being out, I would think a "Leaked Alpha" demands more attention than a "Sneak Peak" into TUG. So, anyway, choose as you might.

      In my opinion, if you have a good deal of the core features and a big name saying ALPHA, it would be worth a shot. Otherwise, we can certainly wait.

    25. BorgKitten on July 15, 2013

      I paid $195.00 to support tug, I'm not saying this to brag & I'm sure others had paid way more, but for me I do not mind alpha releasing insecurely tonight.

    26. Nerd Kingdom Creator on July 15, 2013

      Excellent points from many of you. One thing to keep in mind as well is that we will always have the option of releasing a free demo at any point in the future... which would then guarantee it would be a stable, but scaled down version with less features than the concurrent state of the main game. Of course, there are also advantages to releasing today as scheduled. It's a tough call! All your input is greatly appreciated... when push comes to shove, we really just want to do right by you, our supporters.

    27. Missing avatar

      Trent Boyd
      on July 15, 2013

      A person who only backed at beta ... YEAH release it

      I think you should wait until your happy to release it ... don't release any step of the process until your happy with it ... I think you might feel force to release it early i think that would be a mistake

    28. Max Pierce on July 15, 2013

      i think you should release it now and call it an alpha demo so everyone call see and play the game. you might get more people to buy the game that way. then in a few days when you have the bug fixed you can release the alpha that legit backers can play with and will get updates.

    29. Missing avatar

      Joe on July 15, 2013

      Not an alpha person (only paid for beta), but as a sysadmin -- wait. If someone leaks the URL, people might hit the server so hard that the people who paid for the alpha can't download it.

    30. Missing avatar

      danar smith on July 15, 2013

      I neeeeed it nowwwwwww

    31. Kay Shapero on July 15, 2013

      I don't get into this until Beta, but I think it's probably better to fix the known bug first. See worms, can of...

    32. Dennis Mattei on July 15, 2013

      PIRATES !!! I mean really how many industry standard games get cracked ? All of them. If you release this with protection someone can still leak it and it can be cracked...

      I say just release it !

    33. Missing avatar

      Amber Baughman on July 15, 2013

      I think you should wait until you're sure the alpha is how you want it, including the download launcher, etc. A couple of days won't kill us. :D

    34. Koshinator on July 15, 2013

      Definitely wait until you get everything safe and secure...

    35. Alex Garcia on July 15, 2013

      Wait for the fix to release. You're opening Pandora's box with full access.

    36. Matt Cacioppo on July 15, 2013

      I'd hate to wait any longer but I think it is for the best if you guys do delay the release a bit to get all the security issues settled. I'd hate to have something such as this damage the game financially later on or possibly hurt its success due to a bit of impatience today.

    37. Michael Basirat on July 15, 2013

      Definitely prefer waiting and getting whatever kinks are there taken care of

    38. Brooks P. Weaver on July 15, 2013

      Take your time. Work out the bugs. We've waited this long and another couple of days is nothing when it comes to the stability of the game.

      Plus, if you release it to the masses with any major issues, there is the possibility that someone will overdo the bad and not focus on the good.

      So again, it's worth the extra time to do it right.

      This whole situation is yet another reason why I backed the "Kingdom". You all rock!!

    39. Dennis Fosburgh Jr. on July 15, 2013

      don't be hasty, wait until you're ready. Once you're ready to release it, then those who have alpha access may download it.

    40. Thomas Hurley on July 15, 2013

      I would say try and work the bugs out. I would rather have the security in place when it launches.

    41. Adam Anfuso on July 15, 2013

      Really been looking forward to getting into the TUG world, but anything worth doing is worth doing right. So I think we can wait until you guys fix the bugs.

    42. Sean Mcgaha on July 15, 2013