Hey all, it seems that lots of people are taking bits and pieces of information from different places, so here is a breakdown of something with specifics, so there is not any hearsay involved. Please note, we will update this list as discussions advance a bit further as well.
Strongly considering giving TUG away for free, but don't know what that looks like yet
- monetization for TUG is all about aesthetic, not gated content
- design and experience are not changing with this consideration
- game is playable offline and moddable, so not really something that allows for us to gate or control content, since you could just mod around it
- discussion is needed with community over next year to figure it out.
- focus on getting into as many hands as possible, both dev and player
- important to give modders a way to earn living from amazing work
- quality control is first priority, not everyone can just monetize (skyrim fiasco)
- empowering amazing modders = more amazing mods and support
- (thoughts) would need to be proven modder, and proven content
- (thoughts) near professional level quality to be considered
- how it works unclear, community dialog needed, a year till decision, at least
- doesn't mean people are paying for every mod
- NK interested in licensing mods that make TUG better as an experience monetized mods perhaps optional with some aesthetic reward
No updates to DX11 TUG, but new engine getting done fast important because...
- DX11 is limiting who can play
- OpenGL will be able to reach a great deal more gens of hardware and paves the way for Mac and Linux in the future
- comes with better performance across the board
- comes with “new” art style and awesome graphics improvements
- comes with improvements to dev environment (faster content, better mods)
- 1) powerful behavior and analytics tools available to all players and modders
- 2) powerful distribution system to share and distribute work
- 3) new modding platform with real-time debugging
- 4) new tooling platform with direct engine integration
We will share details of these things over the course of our development, and we are only a few months away from being able to show progress, which we will do as regularly as possible.