CaptainCon 2015 will take place Friday, July 17 through Sunday, July 19 in Taunton, Massachusetts - midway between Boston and the Rhode Island border. Last year was a massive success thanks to our Kickstarter backers and all the people who attended, so we've gotten ourselves a bigger pirate ship with over 9,000 square feet (that's the entire second floor for those who were with us in 2014) of gaming space available around the clock. That's allowed us to make a number of improvements based on your feedback from last year including adding even more gaming tables, increasing the aisle space between table rows, and adding more room to stash bags and things. We've added dedicated space for role playing games and more vendors with great products to give you even more options at CaptainCon 2015.
We hope you’ll join our fleet as we journey to exciting new places. Our mission is to bring you the best gaming experiences available at a reasonable cost with as few restrictions as possible. Our vision is playing what you want, when you want, in a fun and engaging atmosphere with great people. With your support we’ll provide:
- A single convention badge price - no tickets for individual events
- 24 hour access to the convention's game space
- The Captain's Log achievement system that rewards you with prizes just for participating in fun stuff
- A robust schedule of well-organized competitive miniatures games tournaments
- Plenty of table space for casual miniatures, board, card, and role playing games
- A demo area where you can learn and try new games with the coaching of experienced players
- A dedicated hobby area where you can assemble or paint models (we'll supply the paint and brushes) and socialize
- An entire weekend of meeting new friends, hanging out, enjoying games, memorable conversations and having fun with an amazing group of great people
We'll be at the Holiday Inn, Taunton - 700 Myles Standish Blvd., Taunton, MA 02780. They’re located right off 495 between routes 95 and 24. Convention rate rooms are available at $109/night by calling directly at 508-823-0430 or 1-800-Holiday and referencing CaptainCon or by visiting www.holidayinn.com to reserve online with the group code CC5.
To help event registration go smoothly and reward our early backers, you'll get early access to registration as a Kickstarter supporter. There are 4 levels of Kickstarter backer priority registration before we open it up to the general public:
- Captain Registration - Backers at the CAPTAIN level will receive the first announcement of, and access to, the event registration system when it goes live.
- Officer Registration - A week after CAPTAIN backers, we'll open it up to all the OFFICER and SENIOR OFFICER BACKERS.
- Priority Registration - A few days after OFFICERS, we'll open registration to FIRST ABOARD CREW backers.
- Early Registration - Finally, registration will open to all other Kickstarter backers. Only after that will event registration open up to the general public.
As you see, supporting us here not only makes sure that we can put on a great show for you, but you get the benefits of some cool goodies like an exclusive CaptainCon Ichiban Studio paint brush from our partners at Games & Gears, discounted badges, and early access to getting into the events that are tops of your list. As a backer, you'll also be the first to know about new information as we release updates.
What's going on at CaptainCon?
First and foremost, CaptainCon is about giving you choices. You’re the captain and our crew will make sure you enjoy whatever course you set for the weekend. Your badge grants you access to any event that you would like to participate in. We’ll provide plenty of tables and terrain to ensure that casual games for any system are always an option. We’ll even help you find an opponent in our dedicated “looking for a game” area.
Will there be tournaments? You bet there will! We'll provide a robust schedule of tournaments for those who enjoy a competitive challenge. We're planning events for Malifaux, X-Wing, WARMACHINE/HORDES, Warhammer 40,000, Dark Age, Infinity, and more. Already, we've got these great entries in the lineup:
- Qualifier tournament for the Malifaux National Championship at the NOVA Open in September
- The 9th Annual WARMACHINE/HORDES New England Team Tournament
- CaptainCon is an official qualifier for WARMACHINE Weekend
- A Dark Age March To Immortality tournament
- A Flames of War tournament
- We'll have even more announcements to come on the CaptainCon web site (www.captaincon.com) in the coming days
What about other games like board games and role playing games? We've set aside plenty of space at CaptainCon for non-miniatures games including board games and role playing games. In fact, we've got a lending library of board games you can check out to play with friends and we're got GM's from the Pathfinder Society of Boston lined up to run role playing sessions all weekend with even more to be announced soon.
What if I want to try something new? Try a new game in our Expeditions Demo Area. This is a section of the convention hall dedicated to giving you the chance to try new games with the help of an experienced player. This is the perfect opportunity to get a taste of that new game you've only read about online or seen being played on the table next to yours.
Feel like taking a break from games? You can stop by the Games & Gears Hobby Center where our partners at Games & Gears have generously provided paints, brushes and any other tools that you might need. Just drop by, grab a seat and spend some time chatting with friends while you paint a few models. There will often be several very experienced painters hanging out there if you want to learn some new tips or tricks. Also, don't forget to enter some of your creations in our painting competition while you're there. That's right, we're proud to announce that CaptainCon will be hosting an official Draconic Awards Painting Competition. We also have a great vendor hall where you can shop for new games or models, pick up gaming accessories, or buy a new item for your wardrobe.
Will there be prizes to win? Everyone likes prizes so we want to give you an opportunity to earn plenty of them at CaptainCon. The tournaments will have prizes for players in those events, but you can win stuff even if you don't participate in a single tournament.
You will be issued a Captain's Log with your convention badge. Your Captain's Log will serve as a record and memento of your achievements throughout the convention. These achievements include things like playing a casual game of X-Wing, trying a demo of Malifaux, finishing a game of Settlers of Catan, painting a model at the paint station, or even just visiting a vendor booth. Every achievement is worth points in your Captain's Log. You can then use those points to purchase prizes such as posters, models, copies of games and exclusive items from our Treasure Chest. Some of the prizes are so secret that even we don't know all of them yet! How cool is that? Have fun all weekend and walk away with free stuff.
As we hit our stretch goals, we’ll be able to add even more to these offerings as well as produce a treasure chest of cool swag for our Kickstarter backers and convention attendees.
Pledge Level Rewards
The ship's paymaster has drawn up this convenient little chart to summarize the rewards at various backer levels to help you decide where you want to sign on. Though, you might want to check the descriptions for full details.
Who are we?
CaptainCon 2015 is brought to you by the New England Privateers. We’re a group of four long-time gamers (miniatures, board games, card games, we play them all) who have been putting on local and national events for more than a decade – Paul “Snakeman” Shoemaker, Andrew “Hacksaw” Hartland, Craig “Lonelymonk” Caton, and Sam “Builder” Butler. Beyond organizing events at local game stores, our accomplishments include:
- Putting on one hell of a first year convention with CaptainCon 2014!
- Organizing and running WARMACHINE/HORDES gaming at TempleCon every year since its first
- Organizing and running Warhammer 40,000 and WARMACHINE/HORDES gaming at PAX East for the past four years (including this year)
- Organizing and running WARMACHINE and HORDES events at GenCon Indy
- Producing the highly successful New England Team Tournament for WARMACHINE and HORDES for the past 8 years
As veteran gamers, and event planners, we've got an extensive network of contacts that will help us run a wide variety of gaming events at CaptainCon. Their expertise, skill, and dependability combined with our know-how will make our events second to none. We've seen our share of conventions and have learned the lessons required to make CaptainCon great. We've got the experience, people, and skills to make CaptainCon one of the best conventions on the east coast – now we need your support to make it happen.
Where does your pledge go?
We’d never ask the gaming community for support without sharing our plan for CaptainCon’s funding. It will cost $15,400 to put on CaptainCon 2015. Here’s a quick breakdown of where the money will go when we reach our goal.
- Just over half will go to hotel costs; grand ballrooms don't come cheap, even in the slow season.
- Printing signs, banners, Captain's Log, player badges, registration forms, etc.takes up another 16% of the budget.
- Hardware for terrain (more tables, table toppers, etc.) and moving it all is 14% of the budget.
- Kickstarter takes 10% for the financial transaction costs.
- The remaining 6% is split between prize support, costs of mailing badges, and a contingency for miscellaneous logistics expenses that always crop up.
Fortunately, we only need to raise $11,000 via Kickstarter! Last year was successful enough that we were able to put down a deposit on the hotel space right after CaptainCon 2014. We've also raised some early funding from vendors/sponsors who will be joining us for the show and from selling some products at TempleCon earlier this year. Between that and the associated reduction in Kickstarter costs, we've been able to shave $4,400 off of what we need to raise to have a successful show.
Should we surpass our goal, additional funds raised go to supporting the added features of each stretch goal, adding features to the convention and more prize support. In short, we'll be responsible with your sponsorship dollars and you can be sure your contribution is being used to put on a great show.
Risks and challenges
If you’re reading this, we hope that you’re no stranger to the risks of Kickstarter, but we’ll cover the basics here just in case. In our minds, the biggest risk in this venture is that we don’t meet our goal. If that happens, CaptainCon can’t happen since none of us has the personal finances to bankroll the event without getting tossed out of the house by our wives. Thanks to the Kickstarter format, neither we nor our backers will be out any money but we’ll all be pretty sad. We're pretty confident this won't happen given that we've done this once already and CaptainCon 2014 was a huge success.
The second biggest risk is one of success. What happens if we not only meet our goal but blast right past it? We've got a commitment from the hotel for additional space if we need to expand so there shouldn't be any problems related to gaming real estate. More funding not only means more space and events but also more resources for cool things to enhance your experience at the convention so we’re really not too afraid of success, though it may mean we spend a lot of weekends in May and June building extra terrain.
Finally, there’s the very tiny risk that some major event would prevent the convention from going on as planned. We’re not talking about one of us getting sick or anything, we've got redundancy and backup for that. We’re talking things like a volcano suddenly erupting in southern Massachusetts the week before the convention or the like. If the unthinkable happens, you can rest assured that we’ll be making plans to re-schedule the convention as quickly as possible and all commitments to backers will be honored once we’re re-scheduled and back up and running.
We appreciate any support (even $1 is greatly appreciated) you can provide and are committed to making sure CaptainCon not only happens on schedule this summer but that it is a great gaming experience for everyone in attendance.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)