Frequently Asked Questions
Nebulae is an astropolitics MMO, where the expansion of a nebula can cause a Game Over,
- Where players can modify the universe and the lore around them
- With dedicated political and management tools at their disposal
- Where 3D combat is a continuation of politics with other means
The combination of a possible ending in an MMO + hostile global environmental threat + integrated political mechanisms + Spacecraft combat is quite a unique combination of elements, don't you agree?Last updated:
The target open-beta release date for Nebulae is August 2020.
However, we want to run closed-beta playtests for Nebulae is March 2020, already.Last updated:
Afte you choose your character's species, you are spawned into our galaxy, without choosing your faction, as a young Commander.
At first, you are given control of a space station and its pilots. Through management of structures, missions and interaction with other players, you will progressively get involved into the political life of your faction - its lawmaking that impacts gameplay process; its elections, designations and rites of passage which determine who holds the decision making power; its political groups and parties;
There are individual and collective goals in Nebulae:
- Individually, the players progress through the faction hierarchy and get to take decisions that impact more than just themselves;
- Collectively, every faction wants to assert its dominance over the galaxy, control more star systems and resources
- All players and factions must face the Nebula, as it expands on the map, making systems uninhabitable. Factions will need to research special technologies to be able to prevent & mitigate the expansion.
Every faction's governance system, roles & responsibilities can be modified from within, and over the long-term, players will be able to create their own factions, tooLast updated:
We wanted to innovate with player alignments, to foster internal faction intrigues, as players may find themselves in the same faction, but have opposing views about what the faction should do / research / produce etc.
- Players can still choose to betray their faction and join another one as they progress through the gameplay;
- If you pledge 25€ and become a Fate Vanquisher, you will be able to choose your starting faction, once.Last updated:
From the beginning, we've wanted to develop Nebulae as a cross-platform game that can enchant you and brighten up your day, both at home and on the go. But then reality happened:
We're a small, independent studio and we do not have the resources to release a massive PC game right away. Therefore, we release Nebulae on mobile first, to test its mechanics, gather player feedback and finetune the game.
Then, as our galactic power increases and we raise funds with investors on an existing proof of concept, we will release Nebulae on PC, so that both Mobile & PC community play in the same world, but with functionalities more appropriate for each device.
We call this approach "complementary cross-platform basis".Last updated:
Nebulae is not open world, however, in the long-term, you will be able to:
- Explore star systems as instances
- Take your characters to experience major events as instances (large negotiations, parliamentary sessions, revolutions and the like)Last updated:
On the game vs simulation spectrum, Nebulae is closer to a game. We want it to be available to casual players, while giving mid-/hardcore players the chance to take on additional complexity (notably by exploring the astro-politics component of the game)Last updated:
Everyone hates pay-to-win, so that's out of question. Nebulae will offer a range of visual customization opportunities:
- For your ships (Chroma Packs and Ship Designs, which keep the ship characteristics, but alter its visuals)
- For your character (Chroma Packs, Character Skins, Character Accessories)
As the Nebulae community grows and we reach critical mass, we will conclude marketing partnerships with other brands and do product cross-overs (no ads!) and product placements with them.Last updated:
42 000€ is what we need to get Nebulae to open testing stage, including extra hiring, infrastructure and administrative costs, while also delivering all of the rewards to our backers.
We have every intention to raise funds with investors to expand & localize the game to new geographies and keep producing amazing new content (ships, modules, alien species, game mechanics and more)Last updated:
It will very considerably slow down the development process for Nebulae and make it a bit harder to look for investors.
But Nebulae is a game that we are very passionate and dedicated about. We will work on it and release it, even if it takes longer than ideal.Last updated:
Nebulae serves two purposes:
- To show players various possible governance mechanisms, some of them inspired by real life systems and let them freely experiment on them as a community;
- To create an MMO strategy game in which th players are collectively exposed to a hostile environment, which they may (or may not) choose to confront collectively.Last updated:
Don't see the answer to your question? Ask the project creator directly.Ask a question