Due to the wonderful rate of contribution, I am establishing an additional funding milestone:
- ACHIEVED! $550 - Sarah's commission will be increased so that she can generate a set of layout elements for the interior of the magazine, including numbers, bullets, frames for callout boxes and page border elements
Check the Updates section for all the details.
The King has been murdered. The only witnesses, his sons, gather to determine who committed the foul deed - and, more importantly, decide upon the heir to the throne. There is not much time. If a successor is not named by sundown, the agreements that the King had struck with Crow, the demon-god of trickery, will be broken and the kingdom will perish in a tide of blood and fire. Can you save your fathers kingdom?
What Is This?
Witness the Murder of Your Father and Be Ashamed, Young Prince is a short-form fiction game for 3-6 players. Players take on the roles of princes trying to determine the truth of what happened to their father as well as jockey to be named heir to the throne. One of the Princes, however, is sworn to Crow, and will turn the kingdom over if he becomes heir! In the space of an hour, the players come up with the story of what happened to the King as well as determine the fate of the kingdom.
The original rules of the game are available to read here. It has been revised and updated for publication.
Where Is It Going?
I wish to publish this game as a magazine-style "micro-game" in both print and digital PDF format. While the game is written and layout is underway, this approach demands art worthy of the subject matter. This Kickstarter is meant to enable me to commission a piece of original color cover art from the talented Sarah Frary (with a little extra to account for transaction and Kickstarter fees). She has already begun pencil sketches, and once the funding goal is met she can move on to finalization and inking.
Once the art is complete, the game will be published via the print-on-demand magazine service MagCloud.com. It will cost $5 for the 8-page printed magazine and $2 for the PDF.
What Do I Get Out Of It?
- $1 and $5: All contributors will get their copy of the game sent as soon as it's available, with free shipping for the print magazine.
- $10: The limited-edition backer-only version of the game will includes snapshots of the art commission process, from initial sketches through each stage of approval, with associated commentary.
- $25: The game requires a number of red and black tokens, a coin, and a bag for play. I will create a custom set of these play accessories for backers at this level.
- $50: Sarah Frary has offered to create prints of the final cover art for backers of this level.
- $275: Finally, if anyone is willing to back the entire goal (the "Patron" level), I will express my gratitude by writing a brand new original game to their specification!
What's the Big Picture?
This project a first shot at this idea of micro-publishing, taking short, focused games and making them available at low prices with sharp art and strong creative vision. If this succeeds, there's more waiting in the wings!
Support this project
- (14 days)