Naughty Paris: A Lady’s Guide to the Sexy City is an award-winning guidebook written for the “Sex & the City” generation of independent, empowered women. Informative, intelligent and entertaining, this guide helps you discover the hidden pleasures of the City of Light, with insider tips on planning a sexy getaway in Paris, whether you’re traveling as a couple, with the ladies, or on a solo adventure of your own.
First released by the indie publisher Fleur de Lire Press in 2008, this completely revised, improved and expanded second edition with 352 pages and 295 photos includes:
- How Parisian women embrace pleasure and beauty in their everyday lives
- How to flirt like a local and decode French pick-up lines
- Intimate hotels and packing tips to set the scene for seduction
- The best Parisian fashion boutiques, beauty salons, and perfume shops
- Lessons in pole dance, striptease, pastry-making, or finding your personal style
- Erotic museums, art galleries, and book shops to get you in the mood
- Female-owned boutiques specializing in naughty toys, lingerie and fetishwear
- Drinking, dining, and afternoon tea recommendations for couples or solo ladies
- The best clubs and cocktail bars for mingling with the locals
- Kinky cabarets, burlesque shows, and masked costume balls
- An introductory peek into swingers’ clubs, fetish parties and couples-only parties
- Useful vocabulary and detailed resources for finding more information
Who cares about the excellent content if your book feels cheap and falls apart before you get to the last chapter? Because we love books and want them to live forever in your library, not in a landfill, Naughty Paris is made with high-quality matte paper, heavy cardstock for the cover, traditional offset printing methods, and sturdy Smyth-sewn binding. For the second edition, we’ve partnered with a certified green printer using only non-toxic, vegetable-based inks and paper from sustainably harvested trees. You get a book that looks great, feels good, and respects the planet.
Advance praise for our second edition:“Naughty Paris is the perfect guidebook for any woman longing to come to Paris to unlock the mysteries of French desire and discover her own sense of pleasure, power, passion and ooh la la.” --Jamie Cat Callan, author of French Women Don't Sleep Alone, Bonjour, Happiness! and Ooh La La!
- Kickstarter supporters come first: That means you get the book right away this summer (it won’t be available to the public in stores or Amazon.com until Christmas).
- Kickstarter supporters save money: You get a huge discount off the book’s retail price (CAD$43/US$39/€29) and free shipping worldwide on signed books.
- Exclusive Kickstarter bonuses: We’re offering special Kickstarter-exclusive tours as well as invitations to the launch parties, and special pricing on custom travel planning for your next trip to Paris.
- You get to support small businesses and a cleaner environment: By cutting out the distribution middlemen and buying direct from the publisher, you make it possible for us to bring you a quality, certified green book printed in France at the same price as books being printed and shipped from China.
- Because we need you! We have put every last cent into producing the second edition of Naughty Paris, including research, photo shoots, writing, editing, layout and the printer’s deposit. The only thing between us and our books is the final payment to the printer!
Although we include some risqué boutiques and nightlife venues for the daring divas among you, Naughty Paris is a classy and elegant guide for ladies, not a vulgar sex manual. It’s an invitation to discover the many sensual delights of the City of Light, from food and fashion to culture and cabarets. We believe being naughty starts with giving yourself permission to indulge in whatever makes you feel sexy, beautiful, and alive, even if that simply means treating yourself to a glass of Champagne at a fancy bar, wearing lingerie that makes you blush, or enjoying hotel room service in bed all day with your sweetheart.
With the Naughty Paris Guide, men-in-the-know get a three-for-one secret weapon:
- A foolproof gift for all of the Francophile ladies in your life (and even though you don’t want to know this, your mom would love this book, too; just don’t give it on Mother’s Day).
- An insider’s peek into what women really love about Paris, and clever seduction ideas from French men that you can use yourself (without the accent).
- A female-approved selection of hotels, restaurants and entertainment for planning a surprise trip to Paris for your lady.
The Naughty Paris Guide is full of interesting information that can be enjoyed by armchair travelers, and even includes reading and film recommendations to get into a Parisian state of mind no matter where you live. And not only will this book look good on your coffee table, it also livens up boring cocktail parties (take secret bets on who picks it up first). Just remember that friends who are too shy to borrow it for their own trip are usually the same ones who sneak off with it when you’re not looking.
If you happen to have one of the highly-coveted first editions (sold out since 2011), you’re in for a happy surprise! Not only have we updated every single address, we’ve expanded by 60 additional pages to include even more dining and nightlife recommendations and reworked the shopping section to focus on neighborhoods as well as shops. This second edition is 100% “Made in France” and environmentally friendly, printed and bound locally with a family-owned, certified green printer (see “The Naughty Paris Team” below).
Yes and no. Heather Stimmler-Hall happens to be the author of Naughty Paris as well as the sole proprietor of Fleur de Lire Press, a Paris-based indie publisher which has also produced Naughty New York (by seven local writers) and the Paris Pastry Guide (iPhone app by David Lebovitz). We don’t have the marketing and distribution powers of the traditional corporate publishing houses, just a die-hard commitment to creating beautiful, well-made, and well-written books. This is why we prefer to cut out the middlemen and bring our newest guide directly to you, here on Kickstarter.
Yes! Kickstarter accepts all currencies. The amount will convert automatically when you pledge and be billed in your own currency. The reason our Kickstarter is in Canadian Dollars is because Heather is in France. Kirsten is in Canada. Kickstarter campaigns can only be run from the US, Canada, UK, and Netherlands. Don’t be afraid of the Canadian Dollar, even though it makes everything look more expensive (for example CAD$50 = US$46 = EU€34).
Heather Stimmler-Hall is an American-born travel journalist and private tour guide living in France since 1995. Although she studied political science and journalism to become a White House Correspondent, her permanent move to Paris changed that. In 1999 she started the monthly Secrets of Paris newsletter (which celebrates its 15th anniversary this fall) and became Travel Editor of ELLE.com. A year later she moved to the French Riviera and started a freelance career writing travel articles and guidebooks for Fodor’s, Michelin Green Guides, Time Out, Expedia, easyJet, France Magazine and countless websites. In 2004 she moved back to Paris to combine travel writing with tours, working as a guide for companies such as EF and Backroads. In 2006 she finally decided to start her own company, Fleur de Lire, specializing in custom tours and travel guides in print, eBook and mobile app formats. The first book, Naughty Paris, was published in 2008. Since sightseeing and enjoying the finer things in Paris is her job, when Heather isn’t working she escapes to Disneyland Paris, runs marathons, goes to the movies, and entertains her two Min Pins, Pedro & Lena.
Kirsten Loop is a professional photographer and User Experience (UX) Researcher for the travel industry based in Waterloo, Canada. Heather and Kirsten first met back in 2001 when Kirsten came to the French Riviera to photograph the Provençal food markets. They remained good friends, and when Heather told Kirsten back in 2006 that she was having trouble finding the right photographer for her new ladies’ guide to Paris, Kirsten was on the first plane to the City of Light. Since then they have also collaborated on the Naughty New York Guide during a wintry Manhattan photo shoot in 2010, and relived the Naughty Paris adventure when shooting new images for the second edition. Both ladies are Libras, of course.
For the second edition of Naughty Paris, Heather wanted to find a greener, local alternative to the toxic printing practices and tedious shipping issues she encountered when printing the first edition in China. Searching through the list of Imprim’Vert certified green printers, she found Escourbiac l’Imprimeur, an award-winning, family-owned press specializing in art books since 1963. Located in the countryside of southwestern France, they became the first printer in the region recognized for sustainable development practices in 2004, using only vegetable-based inks and paper from sustainably harvested trees. Heather met with Alain Escourbiac and John Briens at their Paris offices in early 2014, and was quickly convinced that they could make the second edition of Naughty Paris even better than the first. They’ll soon be ready to ship out to you!
Naughty Paris wouldn’t have been possible without the amazing production team here in Paris, including InDesign expert Helen Stead who was in charge of the second edition layout and pre-press, Bryan Pirolli who managed the harrowing photo shoot schedule of 24 locations in 10 days, and the many friends who volunteered as models and guinea pigs to make this book the best it could be. Naughty Paris has been a crowd-produced book from the very start, and we can’t wait to add our Kickstarter supporters’ names to the list of those who brought it to life!
Kickstarter is a funding platform dedicated to making creative projects possible with direct support from the public. We have chosen Kickstarter because it is designed to make pledging your support as convenient as possible, no matter where you live or what currency you use. Here's how it works:
- We set a funding goal of CAD$20k (the equivalent of US$18,450 or €13,560)
- Our supporters make pledges and choose the rewards they’d like for their support.
- If we reach our goal, your pledge will be processed by Kickstarter, and we can start shipping your rewards.
- If we don’t reach our goal of at least CAD$20k, our supporters will not be charged for their pledge. It’s all or nothing, so even if we reach CAD$19k at the end of the campaign, we won’t get a penny and the books won’t be delivered.
- The funds will be used to make the final payment to our printers. If we make more than the minimum CAD$20k we will use the funds for marketing -- Naughty Paris launch parties in your town! -- and added content such as a digital map of the venues in Naughty Paris.
Risks and challenges
This is a totally RISK-FREE Kickstarter campaign. We have proven ourselves with the first edition, and the second edition is already completed and printed, just waiting at the printers to be boxed and shipped. Books and eBooks will be shipped mid-July, but obviously the eBooks will arrive right away and the books could take 1-3 weeks depending where you live.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)