Board Rev One
I have the finished board layout, with screen print and everything. I've been making lots of nitpick-y changes to the layout, fixing traces, stapling ground planes, moving things, changing my mind, moving them back, etc. But I have what I think is a final test board.
Below shows the board with just the traces turned on, and the total design.
Moving towards physical
I was supposed to have parts this week, but I'm still waiting for delivery. So next week I will "test" the layout against reality by placing all the parts on a printout of the board, checking for sizes and spacing and also if I got all the little pads the correctly spaced and such. This kind of check is great if you don't trust yourself and avoids expensive board production for stupid mistakes. Much like the way you only notice a misspelled word after you print out an important school paper.
I'm got quotes from board builders so I'm ready to send off the design as soon as I know it'll work.
Since I know now where all the parts will be placed I've started to work on the laser cut faceplate. I've got a laser engraved space station logo and patches above the LED's along with labels for the button and switch and little cut outs near the hacker's pin breakouts. All the unused pins on the AVR are routed here so the board can be extended into other projects. I rounded the corners a little and made holes for the mounting bolts. I got the idea for a faceplate from other projects, and thought it's cool because I like being able to see all the technology inside.
Below are photos of the printouts of the board and faceplate mockups.