Who am I?
For those who don't know me, I'm Naomi Wachira. I was born and raised in a small community called Kijabe in Kenya. I started singing when I was 5, and it is then I knew I had found my purpose in life (obviously I couldn't articulate it that way back then, but I still remember how I felt ... I had found my home). I've been writing music since I was 15 as a way to chronicle my life and also observations of daily life with the intent of offering the kind of music that offers hope and promotes a sense of well-being in society.
What am I doing?
Over the last 2 years, I've been privileged with opportunities to pursue this dream. The support I've received both by the community and my family, have given me the courage to really step out in faith and see where this road takes me (in fact I quit my job so I can do music full-time... scary? yes! exciting? absolutely!!!) The songs I'm recording are drawn from my life as a woman and a single mother, chronicling some lessons learned whether in trying to find a good companion or hoping to raise my daughter in a mindful society. It is also about continuing a legacy that has been passed down to me, which is to try and leave this world a little better than I found it.
What can you do?
I'm fully aware that not every person gets a chance to follow their dreams, which makes asking for help to fund this project a privilege. I'm basically asking you to pre-order the album, with some added incentives so I can finally see this life long dream come true. Please look through levels offered and pick one that fits with where you are in your abilities. Also if you think there are people that would appreciate what I'm trying to do, please share this project with them.
Risks and challenges
1. I have 30 days to reach my goal (can you say yikes!). Below are some of the costs I will incur:
- Studio Time/Audio Engineer - $5,000
- Producer - $2,000
- Session Musicians - $750
- Master & Duplication - $2,200
- Photographer, Graphic Design - $2,750
- Publicity -$2,500
2. It is pretty scary to think what will happen if I don't reach my goal (and I'm trying not think about that), but it would mean that I won't be able to work on this album until I raise enough funds.
3. Anyone who's worked on a record knows that things never go as planned, but my hope is to stay as close to what I've promised as possible. I will offer updates on the progress and check in with supporters if I won't be able to deliver a package at the promised time. Like I said, I don't take lightly anyone who supports me, and I will treat your contributions with utmost respect and integrity.
4. My goal is to have the album release sometime in January 2014.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)